Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off carriage charge (Peats)

Options
  • 25-08-2008 2:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There I was looking to buy a new set of earphones, so I looked at the Peats website for info and saw that you could buy online.

So after I select the pair I want and click to purchase, how much to deliver a set of earphones from Dublin to Dublin?

€14!!!! :eek::mad:

WTF? Total bloody rip off.

Last month I got a big heavy box of parts sent to me from Cork €9.

I'm totally gobsmacked by the audacity of Peats... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you ask for a price for non registered post? They could stick them in an enveolpe for less than a Euro for you but it wont be registered and if it goes missing theres no come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dyflin wrote: »
    There I was looking to buy a new set of earphones, so I looked at the Peats website for info and saw that you could buy online.

So after I select the pair I want and click to purchase, how much to deliver a set of earphones from Dublin to Dublin?

€14!!!! :eek::mad:

WTF? Total bloody rip off.

Last month I got a big heavy box of parts sent to me from Cork €9.

I'm totally gobsmacked by the audacity of Peats... :confused:

That's one of the reasons for my never having bought anything from them, another reason being their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I use couriers to send goods all the time and currently pay €7 + V.A.T. per shipment. On parcels under €100 I charge carriage @ €7 + V.A.T. but i have suppliers who charge €15 and upwards on parcels & I know for a fact they aren't paying the colour of that for the delivery. Its a blatant rip off.

With people like Dabs, Komplett and Pixmania charging 11 or 12 Euro for shipping from abroad, it makes a mockery of what retailers like Peates charge. It's crazy.

On the other hand, some equally stupid UK suppliers can charge almost £30 for shipping goods here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having a look at their site, it looks like they get some sort of business pricing from An post, and instead of offering a sliding scale which depends on the weight of the item, they just price everything at the cost of shipping a 25kg package via an post.

It's an indicator that they probably don't get very many consumer orders via the website nor will they in the near future.

Peats have always been horrifically overpriced anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seamus wrote: »
    Having a look at their site, it looks like they get some sort of business pricing from An post, and instead of offering a sliding scale which depends on the weight of the item, they just price everything at the cost of shipping a 25kg package via an post.

It's an indicator that they probably don't get very many consumer orders via the website nor will they in the near future.

Peats have always been horrifically overpriced anyway.

At the end of the day they are a bricks and motar shop. The website is more a reference tool and I'd imagine the sales part of online was added as more of a "we have a website so we should really offer to sell from it" than a serious attempt at websales.

To sell online it involves someone in the store packaging it and walking down to the GPO to post it, much like if you rang a shop and made an arragement for them to post your purchase to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

No it involves somebody on minimum wage sitting in the store room putting it in a bag or box and putting a label on it and fecks it into a large sack, then the courier and/or AnPost calls once a day and collects then all up.

Plus if you want you can get your own courier to collect the item from the shop.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    To sell online it involves someone in the store packaging it and walking down to the GPO to post it, much like if you rang a shop and made an arragement for them to post your purchase to you.

Stekelly wrote: »
    At the end of the day they are a bricks and motar shop. The website is more a reference tool and I'd imagine the sales part of online was added as more of a "we have a website so we should really offer to sell from it" than a serious attempt at websales.

If they are simply "playing" at having an on-line sales website, they should pull the plug immediately, as it's not improving their reputation.

I'm more inclined to believe that are over-charging customers for delivery - plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

€14 is for registered insured NEXT DAY delivery by Interlink to any part of the country. If you want to pay less you have the option of us popping it into a bag and leaving it in the hands of An Post as Stekelly pointed out.

There is also the option of reserve online and collect from any of our five shops where that permits.

Do you think we make money on our postal charges????? Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

€14 is for registered insured NEXT DAY delivery by Interlink to any part of the country. If you want to pay less you have the option of us popping it into a bag and leaving it in the hands of An Post as Stekelly pointed out.

There is also the option of reserve online and collect from any of our five shops where that permits.

Do you think we make money on our postal charges????? Hilarious.

I just checked the price of a Logitech MX518 mouse
    - Komplett 37 + 12.50 del
    - Elara 32.67 + 10.89 del
    - Peats 69 (!!) + 14.00 del

The only options given for delivery are Collection - EUR 0.00 and Ireland - EUR 14.00. There's nothing indicating that it's registered insured NEXT DAY delivery by Interlink. There is no option to pop it in a bag and send it through An Post. Even on the Shipping page (which helpfully includes delivery advice for last Christmas), there's no mention of Interlink or registered, insured delivery. And according to your own website (I'm assuming you work there), it's not possible to reserve online and collect - you need to phone:
    Collections
    Customers may collect orders from any of our branches if required, but please telephone beforehand to check stock availability and to enable the order to be prepared for collection. Please note that for collections where payment is being made by credit card the cardholder must be present.

You seem to expect that people shopping on your website should either ring up or be divinely inspired to know these things, when the whole point of a website is that you can order online without needing to directly contact the shop.
    It was the attitude of Peats staff that put me off shopping there long before their ridiculous prices.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    I just checked the price of a Logitech MX518 mouse
    - Komplett 37 + 12.50 del
    - Elara 32.67 + 10.89 del
    - Peats 69 (!!) + 14.00 del

The only options given for delivery are Collection - EUR 0.00 and Ireland - EUR 14.00. There's nothing indicating that it's registered insured NEXT DAY delivery by Interlink. There is no option to pop it in a bag and send it through An Post. Even on the Shipping page (which helpfully includes delivery advice for last Christmas), there's no mention of Interlink or registered, insured delivery. And according to your own website (I'm assuming you work there), it's not possible to reserve online and collect - you need to phone:

You seem to expect that people shopping on your website should either ring up or be divinely inspired to know these things, when the whole point of a website is that you can order online without needing to directly contact the shop.
    It was the attitude of Peats staff that put me off shopping there long before their ridiculous prices.

Ahhh Komplett yes yes that's a good comparison. What bricks and mortar shops do they run again? If I don't want to order online and buy something instore where do I go again? There are five peats shops and six sony shops that you can deal with/collect from as opposed to one komplett webshop and one elara webshop/collection point. Again a good comparison.

The website does mention it's next day delivery. It doesn't mention that it's insured because it doesn't have to. Almost all companies use methods of delivery that are insured so the customer has comeback.

I will give you that there is no mention of reserve online and collect instore, but then again our customers have been doing that for years, but I will see about getting that prominently displayed online.
    Of course there is no mention of popping it into a jiffy bag on the website. If you don't like the postal charge ASK. Our customers have been doing that for years. Also when we see that you have ordered a small item we ring and ask the custome if they want this option. To actually list this option on the website would b suicide.

Rediculous prices in comparison to what.................... websites? Our prices have gotten a hell of alot better and I'm unaware of this 'attitude' you mention. We are famous for our excellent customer service. Are you sure you didn't walk in the door with a chip on your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Ahhh Komplett yes yes that's a good comparison. What bricks and mortar shops do they run again? If I don't want to order online and buy something instore where do I go again? There are five peats shops and six sony shops that you can deal with/collect from as opposed to one komplett webshop and one elara webshop/collection point. Again a good comparison.
    But I'm talking about Peats.ie the website, not the physical shop.
    If I'm ordering online, I just want the stuff delivered to me, I'm not concerned with how many bricks and mortar stores there are. Why do I care about collection points if I'm getting the stuff delivered?
    The website does mention it's next day delivery. It doesn't mention that it's insured because it doesn't have to. Almost all companies use methods of delivery that are insured so the customer has comeback.
    But you're the one who highlighted in a previous post that it was registered/insured delivery, as if this was something unusual.
    I will give you that there is no mention of reserve online and collect instore, but then again our customers have been doing that for years, but I will see about getting that prominently displayed online.
    Fair enough.
    Of course there is no mention of popping it into a jiffy bag on the website. If you don't like the postal charge ASK. Our customers have been doing that for years. Also when we see that you have ordered a small item we ring and ask the custome if they want this option. To actually list this option on the website would b suicide.
    The whole point of ordering online is that you don't have to ask.
    Why would it be suicide to list this option on the website? Surely if it's an option you're happy to give customers it would make more sense to list it on the website, then you wouldn't have people starting threads about how expensive your delivery charges are?
    Rediculous prices in comparison to what.................... websites? Our prices have gotten a hell of alot better and I'm unaware of this 'attitude' you mention. We are famous for our excellent customer service. Are you sure you didn't walk in the door with a chip on your shoulder?

Again, yes, I'm comparing online ordering from your website with online ordering from other websites. So are most people who are ordering stuff online. What else am I going to compare it to?

I certainly didn't walk in the door with a chip on my shoulder. Granted, it was years ago, so maybe things have changed since, in which case I'll retract the comment. But the attitude of the guy I dealt with that day made a lasting imperssion, and put me off Peats for life.

But I'm talking about Peats.ie the website, not the physical shop.
    If I'm ordering online, I just want the stuff delivered to me, I'm not concerned with how many bricks and mortar stores there are. Why do I care about collection points if I'm getting the stuff delivered?

But you simply can't compare the two. It's not comparing like for like.
    But you're the one who highlighted in a previous post that it was registered/insured delivery, as if this was something unusual.

Because I don't know why people are complaining about the postal charge. It's quick, fair value and it's next day. It's not like we are charging €14 to pop it in the post with An Post.
    Fair enough.

Fair enough.

The whole point of ordering online is that you don't have to ask.
    Why would it be suicide to list this option on the website? Surely if it's an option you're happy to give customers it would make more sense to list it on the website, then you wouldn't have people starting threads about how expensive your delivery charges are?

Of course you don't have to ask but the delivery charge is the delivery charge. If your not happy about it when ordering mention it to us and we'll see what we can do. Flexibility.
    It would be a bad idea to list the An Post option on the site. So many people would choose that option and inevitably with An Post stuff would go missing. Although customers would have chosen this option knowing it was risky you can bet a fuss would be kicked up. It really wouldn't be worth the hassle..... but I'll mention it and see if we want to list it.

Again, yes, I'm comparing online ordering from your website with online ordering from other websites. So are most people who are ordering stuff online. What else am I going to compare it to?

But it is simply silly and unfair to compare us to companies who have no high street presence. Again you are not comparing like with like.
    I certainly didn't walk in the door with a chip on my shoulder. Granted, it was years ago, so maybe things have changed since, in which case I'll retract the comment. But the attitude of the guy I dealt with that day made a lasting imperssion, and put me off Peats for life.

You can't let one bad experiance with someone put you off. I'll get philosophical and say you can use that for other parts of your life. Like any company online or high street based we will inevitably hire goons as well as gems. Maybe you got a goon that day, I've been here a while and can certainly say I've seen the odd one or two come and go.

Look we are primarily a high street company who happen to have a small presence on the web. You can't compare us directly with companies who operate solely from the web. The web will always be cheaper because it's a different way of doing business with different costs and results. Our primary customers are people who aren't tech savy and want somewhere they can walk into and get advice or be shown how x,y and z works. Alot of people aren't tech savy. I know people who have had a computer YEARS and still don't know how to copy and paste or how to burn a DVD.

People using boards are savvy and as a result they hunt for the best deal which is usually found on the web. I know because I do that too. I don't buy everything I need in peats because often I can get it cheaper but there are customers who reply on shops like ours to help them out.

You have to appreciate it's different strokes for different folks. MOH if there is something I can help you with in the future please feel free to send me a PM and maybe I can show you that some people still give good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/about.cgi?id=delivery_options

According to that, it doesn't matter whether you have next day or normal post. It costs €14 either way.

On the other hand, a 2kg parcel via An Post express post (guaranteed next day delivery) will cost €13.50. Without any kind of special rates or deals.

Honestly, there is no excuse for a €14 delivery charge. None whatsoever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You want to see what a good high street, bricks and mortar shops' online delivery policy is?

http://www.unionchandlery.ie/Delivery/Delivery/Navigation.html

"Delivery charge nationwide is € 9.
    Free delivery will be provided on all Orders in excess of €300."

They have one item of 38kg and costs €500, so that'll be shipped for free!!

Peats:
    "Normal Delivery
    Orders received after 11:00 will be shipped the following day subject to clearance from the bank and stock availability. The price of this service is €14 for all deliveries up to 25Kg. If your order exceeds 25Kg we will contact you to confirm a price. Please note oversize products may carry an additional charge. This will be noted on the product page."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's one of the reasons for my never having bought anything from them, another reason being their prices.

i agree, and arent they connected to a number of sony centres....

i hate doing business with either

seamus wrote: »

According to that, it doesn't matter whether you have next day or normal post. It costs €14 either way.

On the other hand, a 2kg parcel via An Post express post (guaranteed next day delivery) will cost €13.50. Without any kind of special rates or deals.

Honestly, there is no excuse for a €14 delivery charge. None whatsoever.

Grand I'll have the website updated BUT €14 is absolutely the cheapest we can do delivery of this nature. You're all complaining like we're creaming profits off of an excessive delivery charge. Why not help me to help you. I would love to have a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that you lot are happy with a 'reasonable' price. If you can help me find a respectable company that will deliver next day insured nationwide at a cheaper price I will look into that. Why not make something positive of all this moaning.

I want you all to be happy and I want to be stress free.

Grand I'll have the website updated BUT €14 is absolutely the cheapest we can do delivery of this nature. You're all complaining like we're creaming profits off of an excessive delivery charge. Why not help me to help you. I would love to have a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that you lot are happy with a 'reasonable' price. If you can help me find a respectable company that will deliver next day insured nationwide at a cheaper price I will look into that. Why not make something positive of all this moaning.

I want you all to be happy and I want to be stress free.

That's the delivery price sorted, but can you get the hierachy to at least halve the other prices so that we all get warm and fuzzy? :P

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's the delivery price sorted, but can you get the hierachy to at least halve the other prices so that we all get warm and fuzzy? :P

They ain't bad these days.

Advertisement