Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridges or Implants ?

• 25-08-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I am missing three of my front teeth and have decided to get something done about it. My question is do I need three implants, or is it possible to get bridges i.e three bridged to ones either side of gap. The reason I ask is that I am tight with money at the moment so would opt for the bridges if that was possible until perhaps getting implants somewhere down the line. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I had a bridge for a while for one of my front teeeth , it kept breaking off, literally every couple of weeks I was back in the dentist getting it refixed.
    I've an implant now thats just like a real tooth and dont have to worry what I'm eating very much at all.
    Implants are very dear but long term are the best solution I think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The problem with bridges is that they have to modify the adjoining 'good' teeth in order to give the bridge something to hold onto. Getting a bridge, then an implant later might not be wise because of this.

I've got two molar implants and they are the business.

I'm no dentist, but you might get away with two implants and a three-unit bridge in your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The problem with bridges is that they have to modify the adjoining 'good' teeth in order to give the bridge something to hold onto

Exactly. As I posted elsewhere here I have a bridge on a tooth which now has problem because of the work done on it, work which wouldn't have been needed if it wasn't supporting a bridge. An implant would have been better and if this tooth has to be extracted I am going the implant route if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If its any consolation. though implants are very expensive initally,. I do think mine will save on dental car long terma it wont discolour, it wont rot, it wont ever hurt and it feels like a normal tooth so I can eat as normal..
    Get the impmant,. lomg term you will be rueing the wasted intirim methods otherwise...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey,

I have 5 implants and a bridge(2 teeth together).
    If I had been able to get implants where the bridge was I would have though. (not enough bone there).
    I would opt for implants if I was you. Just beacuse there more permanant, they look so real and you won't have to worry about them at all.
    Though the bridge is doing fine as well. Every now and then it can be a bit uncomfortable but it has never fallen out and I have them now nearly three years and so far alls good and no trouble.
    I think a bridge would cause a little bit of trouble though if it was on your upper jaw. (mines lower)
    Just because of gravity and all that.
    But it's whatever your comfortable with when you way up all the pros and cons.

Just to start off....

Pros implants . . . . .
    -Look real
    -last alot longer than a bridge
    -More stable than a bridge
    -Wont come out when your chewing a toffee:) (tried and tested :) )

Cons Implants
    -More invasive than a bridge
    -6 months healing time between stages. (mine was bone graft - 6 months, implant (under local with sedative can opt for general) - 6months, reopened to put in thing tooth is put onto(can't remember name of it) - 6 months, TEETH at long last :D mine took the best part of two years (not counting the braces and millions!! of dentist appointments for 10 years..
    -Lots of dentist appointments for check ups.

Bridge Pros
    -Not invasive
    -probably only a few visits to the dentist and you'l have one:)
    -Look real also

Bridge Cons
    -dont even look at toffee!!
    -may come out occasionally (mine never have but youre aware it may)
    -not permanant
    -teeth beside need work done

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jen_23 wrote: »
    Cons Implants
    -6 months healing time between stages. (mine was bone graft
    I was told by the Periodontal Surgeon that did my implants that it takes 6 months for the bone to heal around an implant on your upper set and 3 months to heal if on the lower jaw.

Regarding lots of checkups, that wasn't the case with me. Once the surgeon was happy that the implants were firmly in place, my dentist applied the posts and caps and voila.

Your case may be different as you did get bone grafting done.

Sorry i suppose i really was only telling about my case:) (I was a handful!!!)

It takes as little as six weeks to as much as three to four months for lower jaw implants to heal completely and as little as six weeks to as much as six to nine months for those in the upper jaw.
    Regarding lots of checkups, that wasn't the case with me. Once the surgeon was happy that the implants were firmly in place, my dentist applied the posts and caps and voila.

Your case may be different as you did get bone grafting done.

My case was probably more thoroughly checked than most as i had 3 bone grafts, 5 implants and 2 bridge and my dentist was using me as a case study for his consultancy thesis :)

So I imagine most people wouldn't get checked over as much as I was.
    Plus now I think of it alot of those visits were for photos...... Hmmm

just found some nice info on implants if interested in getting the procedure might be worth looking what your in for :)

http://www.dentalimplant.ie/dental_implants.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Hi all, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I still havent decided what to go for but I certainly have a lot more to consider now. Im inclined to lean towards the implants and possibly seek treatment abroad

Advertisement