Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is anyone else becoming fed up with old skool being labelled as a constant theme?

• 25-08-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Like let's face it, for those who have been to the Asylum, Sides, System etc, well and good. We are now in 2008. I am not saying there shouldn't be any old skool nights but I am just finding the whole scene of it now to be a bit of a joke to be perfectly honest.
    For one, it seems that these old skool nights tend to be geared towards people in the age bracket that would see them out playing with friends when any of this was originally taking place, even maybe still in their pram....
    Any I have been to in the past few years hasn't had many people the same age as the music in attendance and those who were tended to be the djs themselves and associates.
    I like old skool music, I played loads of it when I started DJing although not sure if it was the right thing to do because best part of it was a few years before my time. Now the older I am getting, the younger ones are coming along to gigs and let's be honest here like, it really doesn't make a blind bit of difference to 90% of them whether it's old skool house/trance or whatever compared to an up to date cheesey 'dance music' night where they can get wasted.

It's probably nice for DJs to be playing what they love themselves, which is all well and good, but is the actual scene itself past it's sell by date?
    Like John Digweed a couple of weeks ago had a lot of experienced clubbers who would have grown up with the clubs mentioned above and now they seem more content in DJs who are keeping up to date with quality new styles. Same with Sven Vath a couple of months back, does that not say something?

Are you happy with old skool nights as they are now? 21 votes

I am fed up with that element of old skool nights nowadays.
    0% 0 votes
    I am over 26 and I love it.
    19% 4 votes
    I am under 24 and I love it.
    57% 12 votes
    I don't bother clubbing anymore, few tunes at home.
    14% 3 votes
    Would go if it were people my age going.
    9% 2 votes
    Don't care...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

But sure everything is played to death in some club or other. Around here the only stuff I seem to hear is electro house. I like electro house, but I can predict every song that will be played now and I'm just sick of them all. Now I would love a good old skool night, though again it would have to be good old skool and not someone who thinks 'Everybody in the Place' and 'Everybody's Free' are acceptable, because I'm sick of them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the whole old skool thing just needs to go away.

people should just get over it.

*waits for jonny68 to say his usual piece about this subject*

jtsuited wrote: »

But one could say that about pretty much any genre. And not just in dance music. I mean, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Pearl Jam, U2 and the Rolling Stones could all give it a rest, who doesn't know all their good stuff by now and their best days are behind them. And if I hear New Order's Blue Monday ever again...

But nostalgia sells. And for me old skool is pretty good nostalgia, and some great tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yep sick of it,i also hate when someone does a remix of a track and the usual"not as good as the original version" quote pops up.
    anyway yeah give it a rest,im much more interested in the future and not the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah get some new oldies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

people should just get over it.

What about those of us who were too young back then who still want to hear this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Nah sorry, jut cant get enough oldskool!

shane86 wrote: »
    What about those of us who were too young back then who still want to hear this stuff?

you should also get over it.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jayzus, not this broken record again... or should I say, broken 'MP3' to not sound too oldskool :D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Jayzus, not this broken record again... or should I say, broken 'MP3' to not sound too oldskool :D

man now you're being oldskool. It's all about the ogg vorbis and 24 bit wav right now.

pffft....old people:pac:

I am looking forward to us all gettin hot and bothered about nothing though!!

• Advertisement

shocked jonny hasn't been in on this yet!

Yeah it has been kinda quiet lately and very few rows alright - I had been planning to start a thread about the lack of 'soul' in electronic music these days and it must be down to the computer production which really lacks the same feeling as older drum machines and synths :pac:

I actually don't like Ogg - I recorded some CD's a while back and they sounded a bit too muffled or something. I went with FLAC over the weekend just gone and very happy with the results. See, I'm still hip and with it.... really, I am. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Love the oldskool

I thought yiz might like this lil' number...

Yeah it has been kinda quiet lately and very few rows alright - I had been planning to start a thread about the lack of 'soul' in electronic music these days and it must be down to the computer production which really lacks the same feeling as older drum machines and synths :pac:

I actually don't like Ogg - I recorded some CD's a while back and they sounded a bit too muffled or something. I went with FLAC over the weekend just gone and very happy with the results. See, I'm still hip and with it.... really, I am. :cool:
    i tip my hat to you sir, FLAC is indeed an absolute miracle of a technology. Classical music has being using it for a good few years now, so hopefully the digital internet world will catch on.

Yeah I agree with the lack of soul in electronic music to an extent.
    although I think the digital coldness of technology is good for certain genres (certain newer types of techno are supposed to sound cold), some types of dance music could benefit from a bit more analogue warmth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

or intelligent techno :D

senan s wrote: »
    arrrgghhh

no, only messin!

P*ss off you ya fckin raver :pac:

no you piss off ya fckin minimal lovin sellout.

no you piss off ya fckin minimal lovin sellout.

Shut up you ya fckin wannabe.

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »
    Like let's face it, for those who have been to the Asylum, Sides, System etc, well and good. We are now in 2008. I am not saying there shouldn't be any old skool nights but I am just finding the whole scene of it now to be a bit of a joke to be perfectly honest.
    For one, it seems that these old skool nights tend to be geared towards people in the age bracket that would see them out playing with friends when any of this was originally taking place, even maybe still in their pram....
    Any I have been to in the past few years hasn't had many people the same age as the music in attendance and those who were tended to be the djs themselves and associates.
    I like old skool music, I played loads of it when I started DJing although not sure if it was the right thing to do because best part of it was a few years before my time. Now the older I am getting, the younger ones are coming along to gigs and let's be honest here like, it really doesn't make a blind bit of difference to 90% of them whether it's old skool house/trance or whatever compared to an up to date cheesey 'dance music' night where they can get wasted.

It's probably nice for DJs to be playing what they love themselves, which is all well and good, but is the actual scene itself past it's sell by date?
    Like John Digweed a couple of weeks ago had a lot of experienced clubbers who would have grown up with the clubs mentioned above and now they seem more content in DJs who are keeping up to date with quality new styles. Same with Sven Vath a couple of months back, does that not say something?

jay, we all have our opinions, some more so than others, i love oldskool was brought up on it from an early age, would love to see you favourite DJ's playing oldskool sets, Paul Van Djk, Sven Vath & Scot Project, that would be a dream come true for me & then Carl cox, with a hardcore set, but like everyone else, we all have differnent opinions, on what we like, horses for courses..........

ya have to get at least 600 points in your leaving cert, to be accepted to listen to that ****e :D

Shut up you ya fckin wannabe.

ah crap

felix 1 - Me 0

ya have to get at least 600 points in your leaving cert, to be accepted to listen to that ****e :D

lol, dunno what happened to me then given that I left in 4th year... should have stayed listening to mongo-trance and jelly-belly house :D

Ah, you're all young, one day ye will learn. Mark my words... :D

jay, we all have our opinions, some more so than others, i love oldskool was brought up on it from an early age, would love to see you favourite DJ's playing oldskool sets, Paul Van Djk, Sven Vath & Scot Project, that would be a dream come true for me & then Carl cox, with a hardcore set, but like everyone else, we all have differnent opinions, on what we like, horses for courses..........
    scott project is old school now ;)
    i guess thats a new generations oldschool

seannash wrote: »
    scott project is old school now ;)
    i guess thats a new generations oldschool

have a look to see, who he really was, he wasn't known as scott project back then, one of my favourite producers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I dunno the last few "oldskool" nights I've been to, the question I did ask all the teens and mid 20's I met is how they even knew the music, and why they liked it, the responce 90% of the time was ... my brother / dad / grandad had decks in the house so they grew up with it and heard all the stories.

Looks like we are going though the same phase with late 80's - 90's dance music now as 70's nights did in the 80's and 90's..... bound to happen sometime, just thank the stars that ultrabaggy XworX jeans and fluorescent waistcoats havent made a comeback into the clubs! (YET)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

i enjoy goin to these nights jay,good mixture of older clubbers young and old enjoying the sounds of the past, nothing wrong with that. but am sure the bubble will burst at some stage. people will gradually just stop going to these nights,but as long as there is a demand they will keep going. the market will get get saturated with promoters running oldskool theme nights and people will get sick of it imo. dance scene seems healthy enough in ireland at the moment and there is a wide choice of events and genres being catered for to suit the needs of clubbers and where ya wanna go clubbing is up to yourself really..personally i dont go clubbing as much as i used to but i like hard dance as well as other genres and i have got to see the likes of alex calver, ian m , frank farell, john kerrigan to name but a few recently and kept up to date with latest sounds as well.
    its what your into really , just enjoy the having the choice of a variety of events that are on each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

shocked jonny hasn't been in on this yet!

I don't spend my entire time on this forum:rolleyes:

maybe your jealous mate because you didn't experience what it was like back in the day, other than that i cant understand your "dislike" of old skool, i know you try and make out i constanly go on about old skool but your actually talking rubbish, im as much into dance music today as i was in 1990,it's just not half as good as it was and these are the facts, look at the biggest tunes of the year in Ibiza for example (ill only list 3 for now)

Original 1989

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlG5WieowBg

Remix 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HzzOLu_2CY

Original 1990
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlDczS4YK4

Remix 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPuCbg3V69o

Original 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDzAv-twYA

Original 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBcjgIUoeA

Nothing wrong with remixes, but i think this says a lot about the current state of dance music if remixes of old tunes are the biggest hits of the year to date,and not new tunage.

The reason why old skool is so much in the spotlight as it were this year especially is because 2008 is a pivotal year for dance music with it being the 20th anniversary of Acid House,something the media dismissed as a passing fad that would only last a few months.

I've no idea why you always bring me into the equasion when something is mentioned about old skool, it's not as if i just totally like old skool and not dance music today (im into Disco/Funky House primarily) also Drum & Bass/Breakbeat.

For the record i was at Altern-8 last week and the atmosphere was better than anything ive seen in a long time (and ive seen some good DJ's recently) wonder why that is now eh:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »

good point there mate, it's not just people like myself who were there back in the day who should only have to be into this music, it's for people of all ages, sure id say 70% of the crowd last Saturday at Altern-8 would've been under 25, that speaks volumes to me.

Music regardless of what it is shouldn't have to only appeal to a certain age.

jonny68 wrote: »

Now that brings back a lot of great great memories.

I honestly thought the 1990s would be the time for the Guru uh ah uh ah...

Anyway, if anyone is sick of old skool nights in Dublin, swap lives with me and spend a few nights in South Kerry. You can take the local disco with its AC/DC and Bon Jovi, and I'll moan about how there's no variety between all the old skool nights in Dublin and they're boring!

eh biggest tunes in ibiza?hardly.there popular but the not the biggest tunes at the moment.
    remixes have been around for years of old tunes.its just something that gets done,the past few years hasnt been any different.shapeshifters said they did that remix because acid house was 20 years old.
    and maybe it was for you better back then but thats just one mans opinion,not FACT as you say.

ah johnny, knew you wouldn't let us down.

first of all, as sean pointed out there's nothing factual about your post whatsoever.

secondly, you say you're into current dance music, yet hate all things minimal.
    considering minimal makes up a huge amount of the what is current in dance music, do you not think you are contradicting yourself?

your post of 'remix of the year' was a shoddy remix of a classsic 'back in the day' track.

and you come out with all sorts of ridiculous statements about how music today isn't half as good as it was back then.

So I'm sorry if I got the impression that you were a minimal hating, oldskool head who thinks that dance music nowadays has nothing on stuff from the late 80's/early 90's.
    It's just that well, you pretty much say that stuff all the time.

johnny check out my track.i think youll enjoy the part around 2.07 :)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17740046efc44ef8/
    :eek::cool::P:mad::rolleyes:

considering minimal makes up a huge amount of the what is current in dance music, do you not think you are contradicting yourself?

would you consider yourself a sheep, following the Pack!!

just because minimal in your opinion, takes up a huge amount in the current dance music. does not mean everyone has to like it.

I'm into current dance music, and hate minimal, tbh it depresses me.

• Advertisement

would you consider yourself a sheep, following the Pack!!

just because minimal in your opinion, takes up a huge amount in the current dance music. .

em, some of the biggest djs in the world are people like richie hawtin, sven vath, ricardo villalobos etc.
    all people for whom minimal is a huge part of dance music at the moment.

considering the amount of minimal nights around also, probably indicates that it 'takes up a huge amount of dance music'.

So I don't think it's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I don't necessarily think that "old skool" is a constant theme, there just happens to be plenty of people on this board into nostalgia. And, anyone who was ever in Olympic/Sides/Asylum can testify, they were hedonistic, underground times, of a very much embryonic subcultural movement in Ireland. It was aso an exciting time to be in these clubs, leaving the Asylum at 9am on a Sunday morning with the DJ's finishing their last record would be practically unheard of in today's over-regulated clubland, Asylum was unquestionably the most underground club Ireland has ever seen. Sides was great too, a brilliant soundsystem and great club music, the place had an amazing atmosphere. And I have very fond memories of Olympic, those piano breakdowns and the happy, friendly atmosphere in that room is something I'll never forget.

I think those times were great (I was only 16 at the time myself), but like all things in life, it has to move on, and to be fair I think the electronic music scene in Dublin (where I live) is stronger now than at any point in the past, the clubs are still busy, there is usually a great variety of events to go to, we have some fantastic Irish producers (Chymera, John Daly, D1 Records artists, Stee Downes, etc), great promoters (Bodytonic, Onetrackrecords, Junction, Choice Cuts, etc), great DJ's (Billy Scurry, Bodytonic DJs, Downtownsounds DJ, D1 DJs) and some great club spaces like Kennedys, POD, but I will admit we could do with a couple of better venues, and particularly better soundsystems. Overall though, the scene is incredibly healthy, and I just don't buy the argument that the electronic music scene was better in the 1990's. It was different because it was new, but it has evolved into something much better in my opinion. Unfortunately, in this country, the current antiquated licensing laws are a really negative development, I think the 2.30am closing is terrible when you compare it with our European neighbours. I don't necessarily think 8am or 9am closing is necessarily the way to go, but 4am or 5am would make good sense in my view.

I think the minimal movement is interesting, in my view Ricardo Villalobos is the most exciting DJ in the world right now. I think people have a tendency to lump music en masse into a category (as in, that music is minimal, therefore I'm not interested). The minimal movement has produced some great records, and some dull ones to be sure, but I do feel that it is an interesting scene. It's also great to see Rob Hood's star rising at last, he's been the real hero of Detroit minimal since the very beginning, it's fantastic to see him doing the prime time slot at EP, he will absolutely tear it up, no question.

I haven't actually been to an old skool night, but I will go to one this year to check it out. Even I like to reminisce from time to time! But I think where electronic music is going is 1000 times more interesting than where it's been, life isn't lived in the past and neither should the electronic music scene. But there will always be a market for nostalgia, I can't see the "old skool" nights disappearing. In fact, it would be nice to see an undergound "old skool" party like the one that almost happened last May, a great idea, such a shame it didn't go ahead.

first of all, as sean pointed out there's nothing factual about your post whatsoever.

your post of 'remix of the year' was a shoddy remix of a classsic 'back in the day' track.

and you come out with all sorts of ridiculous statements about how music today isn't half as good as it was back then.

So I'm sorry if I got the impression that you were a minimal hating, oldskool head who thinks that dance music nowadays has nothing on stuff from the late 80's/early 90's.
    It's just that well, you pretty much say that stuff all the time.

Mate your digging a hole for yourself, you should've got out while the going was good, so by your logic because i don't like minimal which incidentally makes up a very small minority of todays dance music (compared to, for example funky house,etc)you think im contradicting myself, so if your into dance music today are you suggesting you actually have to like this minimal nonsense:eek:

I've already stated the music THESEDAYS which is my preference which is disco/funky house which incidentally is still the most popular style of music in Ibiza (my mate is working there)there has been somewhat of a backlash against minimal over there with few clubs playing it now,and the Shapeshifters remix has been recognised as being an excellent piece of remixing by many many people,so your in in the minority there too!

Obviously you weren't around to experience the scene back in the day and it appears you feel strangely feel somewhat "threatened" by the sheer popularity of old skool and the fact that it's still so popular which amazes me as other people i speak to who might not have been around years ago appreciate it for what it is instead of slagging it off.

It's just that well, you pretty much say that stuff all the time
    and ill treat the above crap with the contempt it deserves.:rolleyes:

em, some of the biggest djs in the world are people like richie hawtin, sven vath, ricardo villalobos etc.
    all people for whom minimal is a huge part of dance music at the moment.

considering the amount of minimal nights around also, probably indicates that it 'takes up a huge amount of dance music'.

So I don't think it's just my opinion.

actually those dj's wouldn't be the biggest dj's in the world, legends like Carl Cox and Sasha remain at the very top and they don't play minimal,and then you have eurotrance cheesemeisters who appeal to the younger masses like Tiesto, Van Dyk and Van Burren,etc, actually if forced think id sooner listen to that cheesy trance than minimal, at least it's "somewhat" uplifting allbeit cheesy,better than being monged out listening to the nonsense:eek:

This will go nowhere! Pointless and tired debate that will have no winners...

Old skool is best though :pac:

• Advertisement

eh biggest tunes in ibiza?hardly.there popular but the not the biggest tunes at the moment.
    remixes have been around for years of old tunes.its just something that gets done,the past few years hasnt been any different.shapeshifters said they did that remix because acid house was 20 years old.
    and maybe it was for you better back then but thats just one mans opinion,not FACT as you say.

Sean,those tunes ive posted up are the biggest tunes of the summer in Ibiza,you only have to speak to people who have been/are in Ibiza and read various messageboards to testify this, sure remixes have been around years nothng wrong with that, but it appears 2008 has been "remix overload" year as regards older tunes.

Funnily enough the biggest tune by far last year in Ibiza and in general.. Axwell - I Found U (a classic tune too my fav in years) whilst being a new tune then,sounded very old skool with breakbeats and piano and that vocal,so you'll forgive me and others for thinking there might be a pattern emerging here.;)

This year has also been huge for classic reissues, and they keep coming.

This will go nowhere! Pointless and tired debate that will have no winners...

Old skool is best though :pac:

it's not about winners mate, im just stating the facts here, im not the one who started a pointless thread like this in the first place,you know yourself..;)

it's not about winners mate, im just stating the facts here, im not the one who started a pointless thread like this in the first place,you know yourself..;)

Ah I know jonny, I'm just buzzin... these threads tend to get heated. :D

johnny your wrong about so many things,between funky house being the most played music in ibiza(ill give you its popular alright )carl cox is a big dj,but theres more than him and sasha at the top.
    check beatport charts,stompy charts and youll see minimal is pretty much up there,dominating.
    yes chime was a good remix but a few good remixes doesnt mean theres no exciting music out there.
    check out the parties in ibiza this year in any magazine.i guarantee you that funky house isnt dominating.it dominates the bars not the clubs.
    but hey everyone is entitled to there opinion

johnny check out my track.i think youll enjoy the part around 2.07 :)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17740046efc44ef8/
    :eek::cool::P:mad::rolleyes:

haha very funny mate:D don't give up your day job now;)

What about dub techno, where does that stand (if anywhere) on the club scene? I love it and see it gets fair coverage on the likes of boomkat.com and warpmart. I assume it must be popular somewhere.

Sean,those tunes ive posted up are the biggest tunes of the summer in Ibiza,you only have to speak to people who have been/are in Ibiza and read various messageboards to testify this, sure remixes have been around years nothng wrong with that, but it appears 2008 has been "remix overload" year as regards older tunes.

Funnily enough the biggest tune by far last year in Ibiza and in general.. Axwell - I Found U (a classic tune too my fav in years) whilst being a new tune then,sounded very old skool with breakbeats and piano and that vocal,so you'll forgive me and others for thinking there might be a pattern emerging here.;)
    so it touches on oldschool,its still a new fresh tune.what about steve angello,laidback luke,popof,gui borrata,dubfire,deadmau5,chris lake,sebatian leger,out of the office,dave spoon.
    all making original work,all dominating playlists.broaden your horizon a bit man.you like funky house hence the reason you think everything is sounding unoriginal and oldschool influenced.
    anything with a piano will sound oldschool,which funky house relies on heavily.like i said broaden your horizons a bit.its not admitting defeat to say that you dont know about every genre of music.
    i play out every weekend and minimal and electro is dominating all the clubs over here and in europe.
    i doubt ibiza isnt following suit

haha very funny mate:D don't give up your day job now;)
    i knew youd like that,just a quick spur of the moment thing

johnny your wrong about so many things,between funky house being the most played music in ibiza(ill give you its popular alright )carl cox is a big dj,but theres more than him and sasha at the top.
    check beatport charts,stompy charts and youll see minimal is pretty much up there,dominating.
    yes chime was a good remix but a few good remixes doesnt mean theres no exciting music out there.
    check out the parties in ibiza this year in any magazine.i guarantee you that funky house isnt dominating.it dominates the bars not the clubs.
    but hey everyone is entitled to there opinion

I never suggested it's dominating Ibiza, but it is still the most popular music in clubs,actually Cream is probably the most popular nite overall in Ibiza along with Cocoon (Cream = Trance - Cocoon = Techno) but you have House music nites like Def Mix,Defected In The House, MN2S, Soul Heaven,etc,etc amongst others which make up a far larger percentage than the others.

You cant really base charts on websites like Beatport as representing the whole spectrum of dance music either, not everyone uses beatport.

I never said for one minute there wasn't any exciting music out there, labels like http://www.zrecords.ltd.uk/indexflash.htm http://www.strictly.com/ others like Defected and Soulforic remain my favourites and consistenly release some quality tunage, but in general there is a lack of originality overall.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement