Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is anyone else becoming fed up with old skool being labelled as a constant theme?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Felixdhc wrote: »
    What about dub techno, where does that stand (if anywhere) on the club scene? I love it and see it gets fair coverage on the likes of boomkat.com and warpmart. I assume it must be popular somewhere.

I love Dub Techno, a very underground style of music but one id like to hear more of.

seannash wrote: »
    so it touches on oldschool,its still a new fresh tune.what about steve angello,laidback luke,popof,gui borrata,dubfire,deadmau5,chris lake,sebatian leger,out of the office,dave spoon.
    all making original work,all dominating playlists.broaden your horizon a bit man.you like funky house hence the reason you think everything is sounding unoriginal and oldschool influenced.
    anything with a piano will sound oldschool,which funky house relies on heavily.like i said broaden your horizons a bit.its not admitting defeat to say that you dont know about every genre of music.
    i play out every weekend and minimal and electro is dominating all the clubs over here and in europe.
    i doubt ibiza isnt following suit

your asking me to broaden my horizons :D:D sorry mate i find that hilarious, you couldn't get more musically diverse than me,as well as disco/funky house, im into a lot of todays Drum & Bass ansd Breakbeat and there is some really good uplifting European Techno around right now along with Psy Trance, pretty much broadening the horizons id say,and for the record i quite like Steve Angello, Laidback Luke and Dave Spoon (Dave Spoon is really good actually)

And please man not all funky house has a piano and sounds old skool (i cant believe you even thought anything of the sort) ive always like House and Garage so why change now.

Minimal is not dominating all clubs mate, it might be popular in some clubs in Europe,but to suggest it's dominating all over Europe is madness, it's another passing fad that will not stand the test of time (think Big Beat in the late 1990's to mention just one passing fad that is rarely,if ever heard thesedays)and that was huge back then.

One of the better underground Funky House tunes of the year IMO

http://www.discogs.com/release/1406569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Im sick of this sh*t from aload of bitter blokes in their 30's who have the attitude that 'oh we were at the asylum and it was amazing,but your just a nipper and havent right to say anything about it''pure loada b*llox,you had your fun when you were young,now we should have ours trying to
    recapture those days we missed

Be honest I think an oldskool night full of blokes in their late 30's,with reciding hair and beer guts,trying to dance like leeroy outta the prodigy would be a horrible sight:D

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Im sick of this sh*t from aload of bitter blokes in their 30's who have the attitude that 'oh we were at the asylum and it was amazing,but your just a nipper and havent right to say anything about it''pure loada b*llox,you had your fun when you were young,now we should have ours trying to

Be honest I think an oldskool night full of blokes in their late 30's,with reciding hair and beer guts,trying to dance like leeroy outta the prodigy would be a horrible sight:D

If your trying to refer to me mate you couldn't be further from the truth,im absolutely nothing like you've suggested in any shape or form.

Not sure I get your point. The guys in their 30s are bitter cos they were there?

That doesn't make sense in any way shape or form. I was there in 1990. I'm still standing. My tastes have evolved, but I've been there during the Brit house, rave, ambient, jungle and trance explosions, the evolution of techno etc. etc. Why would I be jealous of anyone who missed it all? Enjoy it, we all did, and we can all have fun. I don't think anyone is looking at you lot and thinking you stole our fun, there's only so much of it that can go around and if you're having it we're deprived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

:D

Sounds like a bitter complaint from a young lad! :D
    Signed a very contented old git in his 40's :D:D

Good points there Conor..and on that point i think this thread should be confined to the rubbish bin as it was a pointless one in the first place.;)

francois wrote: »
    Sounds like a bitter complaint from a young lad! :D
    Signed a very contented old git in his 40's :D:D

I'm not the oldest on here :o YAY :D:D

• Advertisement

As time goes by, the one thing that does change is the pressure from the wife to throw out the combats, runners and zippies in favour of gant jumpers and hilfigger shirts and gin and tonics at the golf club gets more insistent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

johnny man calm down.

80% of internet dance music sales are done on beatport.

So I think it is a very good indicator of what's going on in dance music.

Secondly, as Sean said, funky house is big in bars, not clubs.

And thirdly, calm down and you might start posting something sensible.

This argument again????

You seem to want to live in a world where minimal isn't dominating club culture. And I think you've convinced yourself that you do.
    But unfortunately, that world is fantasy.

jtsuited wrote: »
    johnny man calm down.

80% of internet dance music sales are done on beatport.

So I think it is a very good indicator of what's going on in dance music.

Secondly, as Sean said, funky house is big in bars, not clubs.

And thirdly, calm down and you might start posting something sensible.

This argument again????

You seem to want to live in a world where minimal isn't dominating club culture. And I think you've convinced yourself that you do.
    But unfortunately, that world is fantasy.

All of the above is rubbish mate and is not fact,just to prove my point check this out (from the horses mouth aka Beatport)

http://dancemusic.about.com/od/digitaldownload/a/BeatportInterv_2.htm
    RS: Looking through Beatport, what's the most popular genre of dance music being downloaded?
    Beatport: The most popular? I would say that House is probably, because it's such a wide genre and it probably represents the largest share of single customers. It's a natural entry point for people because they understand House and then once they're inside Beatport a lot of people are discovering more eclectic sounds. Some of the minimal and some of the techno is really getting big right now and some of the psy-trance is starting to be very popular. It's different in different parts of the world, honestly. Most of the major club nights in the world are House nights, so it's a natural conduit in to our website.

humble pie anyone......:rolleyes:

i feel a little sorry for you and your very strange bitterness towards old skool, ive actually never came across it before..very strange indeed:confused:

I'm through with this thread,ive better things to be doing......good luck.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

lolcat-funny-picture-found-pills-at.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

house=minimal house,tech house,progressive house,funkyhouse.
    house is a broad encompassing title,minimal is an abreviation of minimal house.the statement didnt say funky house is the main seller,it said house(the broad encompassing entity that it is.look at the charts.djs are buying there tracks on beatport,playing them in clubs,so the chart is a reflection of this,same way the top 40 is a reflection of commercial sales.
    how can you not see the sense in looking at the sales.
    top of the pops has been wrong all those years i guess too, right?it must be if the biggest seller of dance music charts arent right.................right?

PMSL lads give it up please :D

1507669028_0d0f1e5b2a.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm getting kinda lost.

Is the argument here that minimal house is played at more clubs so old skool is no longer relevant?

Is it not like saying Take That and Westlife are really popular, so noone can like Haircut 100 and Wham anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

yaaawwwwwwn

This topic and the whole my favourite genre is better than your favourite genre thing has been done so many times before.

To each their own!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement