Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoroughbreds Now and After

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a three year old thoroughbred to break and bring on..

I've seen this lovely 3yr old thoroughbred filly, 16'2 and well handled. By an american stallion Corrouge out of a mare called Santosa.

trouble is we don't know how much is she worth now and how much would she be worth after breaking? given that she is a thoroughbred. we've only ever sold on sportshorses.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Sandra and Jason

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

with the current trends, thoroughbreds are going to be worth **** all, unless they are super, and i mean super at what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

skink wrote: »
    with the current trends, thoroughbreds are going to be worth **** all, unless they are super, and i mean super at what they do.

define 'super' as in racing or eventing?

you think its a no go then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Skink is probably accurate enough; unless the horse is really well bred and has shown potential racing, it may not be worth a huge amount of cash. If you look up the sales results from Tattersalls and Goffs, and from the TB sales in Goresbridge as well as the breeze up sales in Gowran park you should get an idea of what the horse would be wroth for racing.
    In addition, ake a look at her dam's family (ie grand dam, 2nd grand dam, etc.) and see what they've done, in addition to any full and half siblings. If they've done ok, you should be able to ask for quite a bit.

However, you could also break her with a view to eventing or showjumping her, and ,as with non TB sport horses, if she shows potential for that you're sorted.

what convert siad is bang on the nail, it has to be super at what you break it for, race breaking is alot different to normal breaking.

skink wrote: »
    what convert siad is bang on the nail, it has to be super at what you break it for, race breaking is alot different to normal breaking.

thats interesting...

breeding means absolutely nothing to me, i'm not into it and as long as the horse does the job i don't mind... so...

i've done a bit of research..

Corrouge's offspring are selling from 800 to 15000 (courtesy of tatts)
    Corrouge himself won five hurdles in england and was second in the sun alliance hurdle behind Danoli.

The mare did a couple of national hunt races but wasn't very successful.

I don't know what to think now... :rolleyes:

Sandra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

tbh i don't know what you want.

Do you want the mare to event/showjump?

If so she should have a good natural trot and a nice technique over fences.

We want something to sell on and make a bit of cash on.

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

yes, thats obvious. But for what? Will you be breaking and training the horse for a racing/point to pointing career or for general riding?

It is really difficult to make money on racehorses/thoroughbreds, especially if you dont know what you're at. Find a good one though, and there is no better athlete.

SanNJay wrote: »
    We want something to sell on and make a bit of cash on.

Sandra

thats where your problem is, you probably won't make any money, these days if the mare is worth nothing, than the foal mopst likely is too!

I want to train her for jumping not racing. For a while Jason wanted to train her for racing but once you get that into their head its very difficult to bring them back from it.

so the aim is showjumping or eventing.

we thought thoroughbred because there generally cheap, but, whats the point in buying something cheap, putting the work in and getting little return

Sandra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

SanNJay wrote: »
    we thought thoroughbred because there generally cheap, but, whats the point in buying something cheap, putting the work in and getting little return

Sandra

Well it's a good idea. Because a good horse is a good horse. If you take your time and break a thoroughbred that can jump a bit you could make good money. I mean if it's a good horse it's a good horse. You can buy them cheap if they are failed at racing/not fast enough. it is possible to re-break them

togster wrote: »
    Well it's a good idea. Because a good horse is a good horse. If you take your time and break a thoroughbred that can jump a bit you could make good money. I mean if it's a good horse it's a good horse. You can buy them cheap if they are failed at racing/not fast enough. it is possible to re-break them

its possible, but very difficult. would you not agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think so. I've ridden a few racehorses and thought they'd make good general riding horses.

it is very much possible to re break them, it takes alot of flatwork, and you have to make sure you get one that has a mouth, alot of ex flat horses have no mouth on them at all! just be very careful the route you decide to go down

ok guys

thanks for all the advice. i'll keep you's updated.

Sandra

Update...

went to look at the mare last night. We really like her so were gonna take a chance.

Collecting her tonight.

Sandra

Advertisement