Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Protein Into Your breakfast

• 25-08-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone ideas on how to get some protein into your breakfast?

My current breakfast is porridge with some raisins or weetabix and some form of fruit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

eat eggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I keep some boiled eggs in the fridge for meals when I can't incorporate protein directly into the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Scoop of vanilla whey powder into the bowl of porridge!

Oh and spoon or two of mixed seeds in porridge is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Drink a sh!tload of low fat milk. And get some yoghurt in to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Without making any changes to what you currently eat, simply make your porridge with milk, or put milk on your weetabix.

Unless you are seriously trying to gain muscle, the milk is sufficient.

If you are trying to gain muscle, make an omlette with eggs and cooked meat in it. Lean grilled rashers and scrambled eggs is actually a very healthy and quick breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Sound nice Neuro but how many eggs are you allowed to eat in a week, I heard 5 a week is the most you should eat. I woould eat the lean grilled rashers and scrambled eggs every morning if it was not bad for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Without making any changes to what you currently eat, simply make your porridge with milk, or put milk on your weetabix.

Unless you are seriously trying to gain muscle, the milk is sufficient.

If you are trying to gain muscle, make an omlette with eggs and cooked meat in it. Lean grilled rashers and scrambled eggs is actually a very healthy and quick breakfast.

Nope, not going for any muscle :)

eggs was the easy option but my skin doesn't seem to get on very well with eggs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Eggs
    Milk
    Soy Milk
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Peanut Butter
    Beans
    Lentils
    Grains
    Nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I *adore* adding vanilla whey to porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

g'em wrote: »

Can you pick that up in a normal shop or would I have to tony quinn it or something?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Can you pick that up in a normal shop or would I have to tony quinn it or something?

Definitely don't go into Tony Quinn, just trust me on that ;)

Most Health Food shops now stock branded and unbranded whey. The most common brand you'll see around is Maximuscle - there's nothing wrong with it, but it's waaay overpriced for what it is. Holland and Barrett do their own stuff to and it's grand. It wouldbn't be considered the best quality on the market, but if you're just looking for a decent enough protein it's fine.

Alternatively you could try on-line stores: www.irishlifting.com stocks most of the big brands and www.thesupplementfactory.com stock their own brand and it's considerably cheaper than stores and major-league brands and it's very, very high quality.

If you do go decide to get some make sure you just get plain whey - not casein or creatine or anything fandangled :p Whey is the byproduct of cheese-making and is really just a collection of different kinds of proteins, but it's very easy to absorb and very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Will any kind of yogurt do? I suppose ideally it'd be the bio stuff, but is the non fat regular stuff acceptable? Starting to consider having yogurt with hot fruit for breakfast during the winter months, I can only eat so much porridge!

Will any kind of yogurt do? I suppose ideally it'd be the bio stuff, but is the non fat regular stuff acceptable? Starting to consider having yogurt with hot fruit for breakfast during the winter months, I can only eat so much porridge!

A lot of the 0% stuff on the market now is absolute muck - full of sugar and fillers and artificial colours and flavourings - take a look at the label and I guarantee the first five ingredients will include sucrose/ dextrose/ fructose syrup or combination of the above. Natural yoghurt or greek style yoghurt would be the best option and if you really needed to sweeten it up you could add a drizzle of honey, but the fruit should be plenty sweet really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

g'em wrote: »
    :eek: seriously cant handle it in my porridge at all, think it s a taste thing but vanilla whey is just too sweet to add to my porridge. Instead i mix the whey with a small amount of smoothie and chuck in some raw oats all in all a much more tasty alternative IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I add unflavoured whey or casein to porridge. Total win. Vanilla whey is also nice (at least the nutrition X one that I tried was nice, if a little sweet for my liking).

Other thing I do: Unflavoured whey in with museli. Mix it up. Add skimmed milk. No real change in flavour, but extra protein. Win.

Otherwise: Eggs or meat.

edit; I got my unflavoured whey from myprotein.co.uk or bulkpowders.co.uk very cheaply.

Advertisement