Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is an attic conversion possible

• 25-08-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

We are looking to extend our bungalow, looking at a few options and the attic is 1 of them, just looking for a bit of advice, I was up there this morning and the attic is only 2m high from were the beams are to the highest point of the roof, would that be to low or are there ways around a low roof
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You wont comply with building regs with those heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

As noted by Muffler, the heights are way too low for a usable conversion.

Even if you had the height the other issue is what way is the roof done, is it pre-made roof trusses with loads of cross pieces or is it a cut timber roof with the tie at the bottom being the ceiling joist and another cross piece about 300/500mm down from apex?

An option which is finding favour in the estate I live in which is all 1970's bungalows is to get PP to raise the outer walls by 500-700mm and re-roof.
    Just an idea.

In passing, I think an (retro)-extended bungalow will always be that, whereas going up is a better idea, if possible within budget; just an opinion:)

Advertisement