Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Choice - Passat or Mazda6

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi all

Thinking of buting brand new. Any opinions welcome. I am biased so I would like some objective opinions

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

passat for me from your choice. the mazada just dosnt do it for me. also vw has a reliable name. the passat is a lot of car for your money. there probably best in there class for keeping there value.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

hi op, i had a mazda 6 as a company car and loved it. I chose it above all others as it came packed full of extras such as aircon, elec windown, cruise control etc.
    I loved it.
    Passats are nice aswell, but seem placticky on the inside for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it was a company car and I was given a chioce of either but nothing else it's be the Mazda.

2.0 petrol Sport SE @ €32,500 plus Stormy Blue Mica finish.
    Only in the €430 tax band (same as the 1.8) as opposed to the €290 for the diesel, not that much of a diff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

passat for me from your choice. the mazada just dosnt do it for me. also vw has a reliable name. the passat is a lot of car for your money. there probably best in there class for keeping there value.

...but let me guess, you'd prefer a Peugeot 407 or Citroen C5 :P Are you a farmer's son by any chance? VW has a 'reliable name' alright. That's all it has...

I'm a previous owner of a much-abused Mazda 6 that gave not an ounce of trouble. Having said that there were some problems with the 2.0D.

Mazda much more desirable for anyone under 50 yrs old IMO. Needs the Sport spec though. They really need to pull the finger out in providing a wider range of specs for ireland.

It's really down to personal choice, I wouldn't be swayed by anyone elses opinion with my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NicheG

I'm a newbie to the Motors forum and I'm kinda in the same boat. I currently have a 2006 VW Passat 1.6 Highline FSI which has close on 70k Kms on the clock (so approx 44k miles) at this stage. Its not a company car btw. But I do live quite a bit away from my job and do plenty of travelling at the weekends.

Car is in perfect nick (no scratches, bumps etc and have just got a second service on it) and I estimate that a trade in (at a VW dealer) might get me approx €20k (but am open to correction here if anyone knows otherwise).

With the new CC model just launched; I'm wondering should I splash out now(loan of €18-€20k) to go for the new 1.8 cc which is coming in at €39k-€40k approx or go for a suitable alternative to the standard Passat model and maybe look at a Mazda 6 or a Ford Mondeo that are roughly in the same price range as a new highline (so approx €31k-€33k)?
    I'm generally not picky about standard specs. But I would always insist on cruise control, aircon and central driver armrest. Any other features I honestly could'nt really care about.
    The mileage on my current car is crippling my trade in value. So should I act now (given the current climate on changing motor prices) or hold off for a while.
    Any opinions?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I'd get the Mazda 6, the Passat is overpriced rubbish.

NicheG wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to the Motors forum and I'm kinda in the same boat. I currently have a 2006 VW Passat 1.6 Highline FSI which has close on 70k Kms on the clock (so approx 44k miles) at this stage. Its not a company car btw. But I do live quite a bit away from my job and do plenty of travelling at the weekends.

Car is in perfect nick (no scratches, bumps etc and have just got a second service on it) and I estimate that a trade in (at a VW dealer) might get me approx €20k (but am open to correction here if anyone knows otherwise).

With the new CC model just launched; I'm wondering should I splash out now(loan of €18-€20k) to go for the new 1.8 cc which is coming in at €39k-€40k approx or go for a suitable alternative to the standard Passat model and maybe look at a Mazda 6 or a Ford Mondeo that are roughly in the same price range as a new highline (so approx €31k-€33k)?
    I'm generally not picky about standard specs. But I would always insist on cruise control, aircon and central driver armrest. Any other features I honestly could'nt really care about.
    The mileage on my current car is crippling my trade in value. So should I act now (given the current climate on changing motor prices) or hold off for a while.
    Any opinions?
    Cheers

I saw a perfect nick 06 Passat on a forecourt retailing at €20,500 (spec doesn't really matter more than €500 to trade price apparently...just means it'll sell faster).

The Mondeo is a good bet, but I wouldn't rule out the new Insignia either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

^^^ Speaking of which, I saw one of these brutes yesterday on IRL plates.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/html/vxr8.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

pburns wrote: »
    ...but let me guess, you'd prefer a Peugeot 407 or Citroen C5 :P Are you a farmer's son by any chance? VW has a 'reliable name' alright. That's all it has...

I'm a previous owner of a much-abused Mazda 6 that gave not an ounce of trouble. Having said that there were some problems with the 2.0D.

Mazda much more desirable for anyone under 50 yrs old IMO. Needs the Sport spec though. They really need to pull the finger out in providing a wider range of specs for ireland.

It's really down to personal choice, I wouldn't be swayed by anyone elses opinion with my money.

i am a farmers son alrite lol. father always had vw mother always had peugeot. i would have recommended them only that he specified 2 cars so just picked passat.

also insignia gets my vote if you can wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RubberMammy

The Passat would seem like the inevitable choice....but

The Mazda 6 would actually represent a much more reliable option.

The problem with the Mazda of course is the resale value of the car.

Mazda's don't seem to be worth much on the resale front.

Have you seen the new Passat CC ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The New Mazda 6 (sort of Lexus-like) makes the Passat & Mondeo look really bland, even dated. It will be far more reliable, have a better spec and be more interesting to drive than the Passat. And while it may be popular, it will never be common like the VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In a petrol, probably the Mazda.

In a diesel avoid the 2.0 diesel like the plague. The RF Turbo D engine is an atrocious mechanical nightmare. I know, I'm Mazda short of a picnic engine :rolleyes: at the moment. Repair bill currenlty standing at Eur 5k.

Eur 2438 + VAT for a crankshaft ??? :eek: :eek:

Volume 1 Mazda 6 Diesel problems: HERE
    Volume 2 Mazda 6 Diesel prolbems: HERE
    Volume 3 Mazda 6 Diesel problems: HERE

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RubberMammy

What about Mazda's Rotary engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

What about Mazda's Rotary engine?

There is no rotary engine in the Mazda 6. Only the RX models afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

OP, it depends on what fuel you want to buy for the next few years.

Petrol - I would go for the mazda, it has a better spec in petrol form.

Diesel - I would go for the VW in 2.0 litre

But be advised there are better cars out there as discussed elsewhere on on this forum.

I have driven both these cars over the last few months, amongst others, and I have been very disappointed in the Mazda. If I had closed my eyes getting into it and listened to the door shut, i would have guessed it was a car from a Japanese manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

narommy wrote: »
    Hi all

Thinking of buting brand new. Any opinions welcome. I am biased so I would like some objective opinions

Cheers

There is only really one choice (IMO) the new Ford Mondeo, far and away the best car in it's class. Have a read up in any of the UK car mags, the Mondeo comes out on top of any comparison tests I've read. "What Car" reckons it's as good as a BMW 3 series, some praise indeed.

There is only really one choice (IMO) the new Ford Mondeo, far and away the best car in it's class. Have a read up in any of the UK car mags, the Mondeo comes out on top of any comparison tests I've read. "What Car" reckons it's as good as a BMW 3 series, some praise indeed.

Great car dynamically by all accounts but it's a Mundano and is plagued by rep-mobile, blue-collor image. For me anyway.
    Plus it's got a big J-Lo arse. Only not as nice.

"What Car" reckons it's as good as a BMW 3 series, some praise indeed.

What Car reckons a lot of things, doesn't mean they're right:P

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Why buy new, save yourself 20 grand and buy mine:

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pburns wrote: »
    Great car dynamically by all accounts but it's a Mundano and is plagued by rep-mobile, blue-collor image. For me anyway.
    Plus it's got a big J-Lo arse. Only not as nice.

I'd agree, I think the Mondeo has aged rather quickly from the side and rear profile anyway. Most wheels fitted (including 18") look lost on the car and the boot on the saloon looks way out of proportion, bit like a whale's tail imo.

Other than that though it is a great car by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

NicheG wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to the Motors forum and I'm kinda in the same boat. I currently have a 2006 VW Passat 1.6 Highline FSI which has close on 70k Kms on th
    ng motor prices) or hold off for a while.
    Any opinions?
    Cheers

Father has what you have with a third of the mileage, and was asked roughly 25K + to change now for a 2.0tdi CC. The market for the 1.6 has fallen through and the diesels are selling better, but at lower prices. I think your 20K estimate is way off.

@OP
    I have plenty of experience with the Passat. 1.6 Petrol has a six speed box which it has much nee for (first is nearly useless). Father has his since 06, with 23K on it and hasn't had a single problem (i think there was one recall alright). Other than that nothing.
    Cousin of mine has a 1.9tdi highline, 2006, five speed, with 110k on it. Not alot of problems, one or two faults with the electric handbrake and other tha that not alot. He has went through 18 tyre's i think. If you are to buy new i would reccomend the 2.0tdi as it's a fresher and more powerful engine (140bhp compared to 105bhp)

I've yet to come across a Mazda 6 new model but from what i've seen they look smashing, very up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Thanks for the replys.

I would be a Mazda man myself.

Was going to go for 2L Diesel but will re assess after some comments. Might go for petrol especially as what I am used to.

I was also looking a comfortline Passat but they seem under powered and over priced and have a bit of fake timber on the dash that really turns me off.

Also think Mazda is sleaker.

Myself and family have had Mazdas in family at various times and went well but only petrols.

Thanks for the replys.

I would be a Mazda man myself.

Was going to go for 2L Diesel but will re assess after some comments. Might go for petrol especially as what I am used to.

I was also looking a comfortline Passat but they seem under powered and over priced and have a bit of fake timber on the dash that really turns me off.

Also think Mazda is sleaker.

Myself and family have had Mazdas in family at various times and went well but only petrols.

I would be a Mazda man too - still have some in the family. Concerns about the diesel engine, plus the unavailability of Sport spec led me to buy a Subaru Legacy diesel though. The engine is in a different league to Mazda's diesel for smoothness and quietness. It is actually quieter than the Mazda petrol and has really made me realise that the 1.8 in the Mazda is quite thrashy. Handling benefits from AWD too. The only possible downside to this model is that a new model will be coming around next summer.

The Passat wouldn't be on my radar at all, although with the 2.0TDi it's probably an OK piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Have you any interest in a B6 Audi A4 2.5TDI Quattro*? Or even a 1.9TDI Quattro, absolutely beautiful elegant cars and not too hard to maintain (bit more maintenance with 2.5 though) parts are a little on the expensive side unfortunately. I would recommend the 1.9TDI 130bhp quattro, comes standard with aircon, all electrics, alloys, cd changer, cruise, and the optional s/r and leather seats etc.

I'm not biased to audi, I swears!!! :P

*extremely rare in Ireland unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Drive the 20.tdi and see what you think for power. The 1.6fsi as far as i know is being slowly gotten rid of and replaced with the new more powerful (+7bhp) 1.4tsi engine.

As for the wooden dash, try a sportline. It comes with different wheels, lowered 15mm and has a carbon fibre effect fascia. I wouldn't knock the Passat out just yet.

Don't buy the 1.8 petrol.

Buy the 2.0l petrol.

For the sake of 1mpg you'd be much better off and they're in the same VRT and tax band

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Mazda +
    Wait for the new avensis also and compare both.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

most of the old 6's engines trouble were down to people using the incorrect oil in it....

Advertisement