Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attn! Ireland - We are being ripped off!

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi fellow Irishmen who are considered to have so much money in our pockets that we will pay anything for anything. Here is one damn fine example:

Eircom Line Rental (Ireland) €26
    BT Line Rental (UK) £10.49
    =============================
    Eircom Talk Anytime (Ireland) 40.99 (<- I mean WTF is is that crazy b@st*rds)
    BT Talk Anytime (UK) £4.95
    Eircom Broadband (Ireland) €25 (for a STUPID 3mb)
    BT Broadband (UK) £16 (nobody in their right mind in the UK are with BT for this. 8mb though)
    Total for Eircom Ireland per month: €92
    Total for BT UK per month: £30.44

Now just for 1 minute look at this deal

The same package as above with 8mb broadband anytime calls and line rental is 14.99 for the first 3 months and 19.99 thereafter with VAT included.

Why are we so stupid and agree to pay stupid amounts of cash for a service that is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cheap to provide!.... We are a bunch of idiots all round when it comes to price. We need to step up and sort this mess out. Its not just phone packages, gosh no, that would be irrelevant. This applies to almost everything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kehoejck

"We need to step up and sort this mess out."

We only agree to pay it because there is nothing else. If we want these services we will have to pay what the companies price them at.

In terms of what we can do, I believe there is very little.So what do you propose we do, march on eircom HQ? :)

Toiletroll wrote: »
    Hi fellow Irishmen who are considered to have so much money in our pockets that we will pay anything for anything. Here is one damn fine example:

BT Broadband (UK) £16 (nobody in their right mind in the UK are with BT for this. 8mb though)

The same package as above with 8mb broadband anytime calls and line rental is 14.99 for the first 3 months and 19.99 thereafter with VAT included.

Why are we so stupid and agree to pay stupid amounts of cash for a service that is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cheap to provide!.... We are a bunch of idiots all round when it comes to price. We need to step up and sort this mess out. Its not just phone packages, gosh no, that would be irrelevant. This applies to almost everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

You are also forgetting we are a nation of under 5million, the UK is over 70 million - costs of course are going to differ, plus they have alot more providers, better infrastructure not to mention a cheaper cost of living in general than Ireland (except for cigarettes & petrol).

perhaps your argument would be better balanced if you understand the economic cost factors, & the actual costs of provisioning those services per user ......

It is this kind of sensationalism that people assume as fact & lead to hours of drole calls on Joe Duffy etc, or the front page crap in The Irish Sun, The Irish Mirror or the hack papers (Metro etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

As for the eircom talktime...I have wireless broadband from Digiweb and I have a Skype subscription which gives me a dublin 'landline' number and unlimited calls within Ireland (not to mobiles) for €3.39 per month. For unlimited calls within europe it is €4.54, unlimited calls worldwide, €10.29

There is almost always an alternative to these "rip offs".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Besides the fact that Eircom dotn have a monolpoly on phone services here, why should they be competeing or compared with on prices to a different company in a different country?

If you are going to start doing these silly comparisons, why use the UK? Why not go for the cheapest telecom package in the world, it'll be as relevent as comparing us with the uk.

Plus you used the word Gosh, that immediatly invalidates your arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Stekelly wrote: »
    Besides the fact that Eircom dotn have a monolpoly on phone services here, why should they be competeing or compared with on prices to a different company in a different country?

If you are going to start doing these silly comparisons, why use the UK? Why not go for the cheapest telecom package in the world, it'll be as relevent as comparing us with the uk.

Plus you used the word Gosh, that immediatly invalidates your arguement.

You spelled argument wrong and that makes you look like an idiot for either being an idiot or deliberatly trying to be ironic!

I work in the UK telecoms industry. I know how it operates.

All of you guys above should realise that as a company in the UK if a customer wants to cancel with us we will offer that customer the following:

Unlimited Anytime Calls
    Line Rental
    UNLIMITED up to 8mb broadband no FUP

All for £14 per month with VAT included. The company still make a nice profit on this. So are you telling me that the difference between £14 and €92 is down to the fact that it costs that much more to provide the services in a much smaller country with infinitely more simple networks.

On BBC article below ireland is 2nd most expensive. (Findland topping list last year) We have the MOST expensive line rental in the world... Lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6900697.stm

EDIT - The above package would depend on whether that customers line is enable for LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) which is in a vast amount of exchanges in ireland

• Advertisement

You spelled argument wrong and that makes you look like an idiot for either being an idiot or deliberatly trying to be ironic

Nope. it makes me look like my wireless keyboard keeps lagging behind me and I cant catch all the mistakes all the time. Just like most of the time my n and t's and n and g's get mixed up.

Oh and btw http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arguement

You spelled argument wrong and that makes you look like an idiot for either being an idiot or deliberatly trying to be ironic!

Findland topping list last year (finDland is not a country, also you could do with the word "the" between topping and list)

"On BBC article below" could do with a bit of grammar

Ironing you say?

If your going to start playing the spelling game you should really make sure your house is in order.

Nope. it makes me look like my wireless keyboard keeps lagging behind me and I cant catch all the mistakes all the time. Just like most of the time my n and t's and n and g's get mixed up.

Oh and btw http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arguement

Ironing you say?

If your going to start playing the spelling game you should really make sure your house is in order.

Look this thread is not about spelling and I never intended on it turning into one. So stop wasting my time and stay OT.

Look this thread is not about spelling and I never intended on it turning into one. So stop wasting my time and stay OT.

Maybe you missed the bit so where I replied to your OP and you started gibbering on about my spelling and being abusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Putting us up against different counties is all a bit pointless really..

How much is it for talktime and BB in the arsehole of kenya?

just out of curiosity

Maybe you missed the bit so where I replied to your OP and you started gibbering on about my spelling and being abusive?

Listen Mr Troll - You turned my COMPARISON into an argument / arguement by saying that my arguement / argument is nullified because I used the word "Gosh".

Now stop this irrelevant babbling and stay OT

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Putting us up against different counties is all a bit pointless really..

How much is it for talktime and BB in the arsehole of kenya?

just out of curiosity

We are comparing countries that have developed to about the same level...

Listen Mr Troll - You turned my COMPARISON into an argument / arguement by saying that my arguement / argument is nullified because I used the word "Gosh".

Now stop this irrelevant babbling and stay OT

So now its about me making light of your use of the word gosh and not me making it into a thread about your spelling despite you bringing up spelling first? Ok gotcha, just so we're clear.

So now its about me making light of your use of the word gosh and not me making it into a thread about your spelling despite you bringing up spelling first? Ok gotcha, just so we're clear.

Its funny that you have not "tackled" any of the facts I have provided and choose to continue talking about absolutely nothing and wasting everyones time. Go back to the pen and baaa baa black sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Toiletroll, what area of the UK telecoms market do you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can't compare Ireland telecoms industry to UK. BT and Eircom have same basic infrastructure setup but as percentage cost, it costs alot more for Eircom.

If Eircom wants to upgrade it DSL exchanges, it not going to get anywhere near the deal that BT will when dealing with vendors.

We should be compared to Finland, Norway. Equivalent population of 5M, same population spread as Ireland also.

I'm not defending Eircom in particular and do think they are over-priced but your comparison is very flawed.

ven0m wrote: »
    You are also forgetting we are a nation of under 5million, the UK is over 70 million - costs of course are going to differ, plus they have alot more providers, better infrastructure not to mention a cheaper cost of living in general than Ireland (except for cigarettes & petrol).

perhaps your argument would be better balanced if you understand the economic cost factors, & the actual costs of provisioning those services per user ......

It is this kind of sensationalism that people assume as fact & lead to hours of drole calls on Joe Duffy etc, or the front page crap in The Irish Sun, The Irish Mirror or the hack papers (Metro etc)

The cost of provision = A guy in the exchange walking over to your line and plugging it in (At least its the case for LLU) Smart telecom operate on LLU enables lines ONLY

Its funny that you have not "tackled" any of the facts I have provided and choose to continue talking about absolutely nothing and wasting everyones time. Go back to the pen and baaa baa black sheep

Yes, ok then.

You have yet to show how it's relevant comparing the UK industry with the Irish one. Why not find somewhere cheaper than the UK and whinge about how expensive the UK is?

ongarite wrote: »
    You can't compare Ireland telecoms industry to UK. BT and Eircom have same basic infrastructure setup but as percentage cost, it costs alot more for Eircom.

If Eircom wants to upgrade it DSL exchanges, it not going to get anywhere near the deal that BT will when dealing with vendors.

We should be compared to Finland, Norway. Equivalent population of 5M, same population spread as Ireland also.

I'm not defending Eircom in particular and do think they are over-priced but your comparison is very flawed.

Finland 109 kr for 4mb about €16 if I am correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

On BBC article below ireland is 2nd most expensive. (Findland topping list last year) We have the MOST expensive line rental in the world... Lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6900697.stm

Just my 2 cents about Finland.
    I visited the country in 1990 and about everybody was walking around with mobile phones in these days already.
    Nokia, after all, used to be a Finnish company. Finland is pretty big with not a lot of people. There was (and is?) simple no need to have landlines so if you want one, you pay.

I dont want to argue that it is indeed slightly overpriced in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

A question on provisioning cost.Why would it cost more to provision me with BB in Ireland than in the UK? I mean it's s digital signal on an existing line???

• Advertisement

NTL offer 10mb for €30. Thats 2 and a half times the speed for less than twice the price.

I havent even checked other prices. I just happen to have NTL myslef so know the prices.

If you want prices like that in this country, you will need Irish Government to step in and spend €1 billion like in Sweden and Finland to upgrade telecoms line with fibre and ADSL2+ upgrades

Eircom or any of the telcos have the capital or resources to upgrade network or sell products at UK prices. SMART tried and they went bust very quick. Eircom for all our complaining makes SFA profit from landline business, Meteor is the only thing keeping them afloat.

The cost of provision = A guy in the exchange walking over to your line and plugging it in (At least its the case for LLU) Smart telecom operate on LLU enables lines ONLY

That's overly simplified & trolling, & you bloody well know it. My 12 years in telecoms tells me otherwise mate, & that was 12 years in several markets for several high profile companies.

Provisioning cost is based on way more than the manpower, & makes me wonder if you are infact merely a grunt in the industry, as opposed to someone who actually 'worked' in it & on provisioning from acq. up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

A question on provisioning cost.Why would it cost more to provision me with BB in Ireland than in the UK? I mean it's s digital signal on an existing line???
    It is a bit more complicated than that. There are larger economies of scale in the UK due to a larger market.

OP: There is less competition in Ireland at the moment since Eircom controls too much. If and when that changes then the prices will come down. End of thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

No we're not

it's Ireland and the UK which have most definitely not developed at the same level

No we're not

it's Ireland and the UK which have most definitely not developed at the same level

Yeah, we have a legacy French based phone system & the UK has a more modern system LOL :D

No we're not

ntlbell is correct. UK is far far ahead in telco technology its not funny. BT have all exchanges at ADSL2+ and working now on FTTD roll-out.

Eircom can't even roll-out ADSL2+ to even 20% of the exchanges in this country and even if they could the copper phone lines couldn't cope. We are going to be stuck with 8MB DSL unless Eircom can magically find the pot of money at end of the rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Eircom Line Rental (Ireland) €26 this is included in the Talk anytime package
    Total for Eircom Ireland per month: €9266

Your sums weren't quite right

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Toiletroll

Am I the only one after noticing this?:confused:

• Advertisement

Your sums weren't quite right

Fair enough

Advertisement