Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine - Getting the basics

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some good reading for wine newbies

How to pick decent wines understanding the different grape/regions etc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

anything by Hugh Johnson or jan robinson are generally gold,

but the best way to learn is form experience,
    check around your local colleges the like that do night classes or wine bars in your area,
    these often have courses with tasting and are well worth it generally,
    if you have the moolah check out the WSET course on the Irish wine board website these are quality and you get a pretty decent certificate.

or get a good vintage/pocket wine book, oz clarke and hugh do good ones and a wine atlas once again hugh,

buy a bottle bring it home read up on it as you drink it,
    take some notes,
    remember what you like about it and find out why,
    that way you can begin to make assumptions based on your own tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

All very good advice from lmtduffy above.

Oz Clarke is very approachable, so worth a look if he has a recent introductory book out.

Pocket wine guides like Hugh Johnson's are handy when walking round shelves of bottles for checking on names of producers & details of vintages.

Wine journos usually give a good weekly insight into some corner of the wine world, and some good recommendations. I read Tim Atkin in the Observer and haven't been disappointed by anything he's tipped.

I found one of the best ways to learn was sitting down with some other interested people and opening a few bottles. Comparing anything from two to half a dozen wines shows their individual characters much more than if you drank them on their own. I haven't managed to do this much since my over-privileged student days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

All sound advise,
    ,,,books by Hugh Johnson or Oz Clarke are well laid out and well explained, personally have found that Ive narrowed down my choices to key countries whose wines i really enjoy, and thereafter chased around the different regions and producers.

One thing to remember tho - it's meant to be fun!..so dont let some pompous asss who once licked a drop of Chateu Petrus off a spoon and claims he's a lofty expert put ya off!..loads of those gimps around, just enjoy the search and be open to trying different styles and tastes..works for me :)

IMTduffy I didnt realise there was such a board here, must check it out.

ciao' amigos....Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

the wine board are good but pricey,
    if you work in the "industry" as in a restaurant or pub or something they might pay for some of your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yeahh i hear ya on the "pricey" bit....mind you all fits in with the rip off pricey everything in this green and pleasant land eh!

Baggio...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Anyone know of any wine courses starting in Dublin soon?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There were signs to this effect up in La Cave yesterday, but I didn't stop to read. Could be worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Guardian/Observer are running a 14 day wine course starting next Saturday 6th Sept (according to yesterday';s Observer) - if the DIY method is more convenient for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snackattack

I can highly recommend the Wine Board's WSET courses. They are fairly pricey, but the wine, glasses and handouts/or books included in the cost. All the lecturers are very experienced and it is the best way to get familiar with wine. I started off doing their wine appreciation course (which is aimed at the non-professional), got hooked and ended up doing the Certificate then the Advanced Certificate (both of which there were small exams at the end).

Advertisement