Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Alfa GT - any good?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I've been researching a used car for a while now, and I'm looking for something sporty but practical that I can buy and insure for a year for €20k.

I've arrived at the Alfa GT, on the basis that the Mk V Golf GTI is just out of my budget, I can only afford a 99/00 Honda S2000 and the Mazda RX8 is crazy money to insure (€2400, and I'm 28).

So ... does anyone have any good, bad or indifferent experience of the Alfa GT? I'd looking to get fairly low miles (<40k) 1.8 petrol model, can afford to insure the V6 and I just don't fancy a diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

pity you won't consider the diesel.

Its the best one - nicer to drive than the smaller petrol model, the most reliable and will retain its value better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

RobAMerc wrote: »
    pity you won't consider the diesel.

Its the best one - nicer to drive than the smaller petrol model, the most reliable and will retain its value better.

The reason I've discounted it is that you get less for your money. I wouldn't totally rule it out as I hear that it's a cracking engine, but you can get some smashing deals with the petrol version.

This seems like a bit of steal, for example. Sold now unfortunately.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.8-MONZA/1162944/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

steve06 wrote: »

the price on that 2nd one must be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Just bought the GT diesel a month ago.... fantastic so far, would go for it ahead of the petrol model....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you buy the 1.8TS mind that you have full service history and that the oil was checked regularly. Listen for any knocking from the bottom end of the engine. They can use some oil. also timing belt every 36k or 3 years is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

spav wrote: »
    The reason I've discounted it is that you get less for your money. I wouldn't totally rule it out as I hear that it's a cracking engine, but you can get some smashing deals with the petrol version.

This seems like a bit of steal, for example. Sold now unfortunately.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.8-MONZA/1162944/

I don't know if that is true, the diesel costs more to buy but I reckon you get alot of that premium back when you go to sell it on. Decent GT diesels don't seem to be for sale long compared to petrol ones either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I drove a GT diesel for the last week, a nice one with 18" wheels.

Anyway, while modern expensive cars are not usually my thing, if I had to then I did like it!

If you are concerned about resale of an Alfa then perhaps you should try to get the diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What do you mean "I just don't fancy a diesel"...?

Do you realise that the Alfa diesels just happen to out-class the petrol engines in pulling-power, making them more flexable, robust and easier to sell in the future.
    There is very little excuse to turn you nose up at a diesel these days!

10-10-20 wrote: »
    What do you mean "I just don't fancy a diesel"...?

Do you realise that the Alfa diesels just happen to out-class the petrol engines in pulling-power, making them more flexable, robust and easier to sell in the future.
    There is very little excuse to turn you nose up at a diesel these days!

What I mean is that I see the Alfa as being a bit of a 'heart over head' purchase - I could save a bit of hassle and get something like a Focus instead. I just think the slightly agricultural soundtrack of a diesel would spoil the experience a bit.

Maybe I'm wrong though, the diesel gets universally superb reviews, and the last time I drove a diesel was a Corsa on my driving test 11 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Trust me, when you drive the diesel GT and it fires you back into the seat when you put your foot down you'll appreciate it... I went from a 1.8 petrol 156 TwinSpark to a 1.9 diesel GT and there is no comparison...

The diesel is far superior in every respect... and the engine is surprisingly quiet inside the car... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

What I mean is that I see the Alfa as being a bit of a 'heart over head' purchase - I could save a bit of hassle and get something like a Focus instead. I just think the slightly agricultural soundtrack of a diesel would spoil the experience a bit.

Maybe I'm wrong though, the diesel gets universally superb reviews, and the last time I drove a diesel was a Corsa on my driving test 11 years ago!

test drive the JTD, believe me, you will never go for the t spark petrol after driving the diesel one, diesel engines have come a loooong way in 11 years

Focus? nah, not even close to the driving experiance

Right - I'll test drive a diesel before taking the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

excellent, let us know how you get on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Speaking from 6 months of experience-the GT JTD is a great car to drive-but does sound like a tractor when you turn it on and when stopped at the lights. Defiently a car for the open road and pointless if you are going to spend your time around town/city. I do quite a bit of motorway driving myself so fine for me.

If I had my time over, I would get the V6, but only if I had brought it in pre July.

But the OP is intested in the 1.8 so enough about the diesel and V6.

You still get a great looking (IMHO) car-can't say whether the engine would be great as it is a heavy enough car-make sure and get 17" wheels, leather, Mp3 stereo, Bose (if possible). I was surprised to see a thread on Alfaowner recently when may users swore by 16" wheels but I think you need to 17" rims to set the car off.

What to look out for-rattles in the boot, original mats, windows closing correctly. Not sure what the story with the tiiming belt is on the 1.8 engine-if the unit is anything like the 1.6 in the 147, then beware and make sure the timing belt is changed at 36,000 miles.

Try and test all the electrics and lights if you can-this can cause issues.

I have had to replace a clutch on my JTD at 50k miles, but that's probably and apples and oranges type comparison.....

A 2.0 might be a better idea than a 1.8-I would drive both and then decide-the extra costs may well be worth it.

Well then try and get hold of one with a Q2 diff fitted (hopefully getting it on mine today....)

Timing belt change recommended on the JTD every 5 years/72k miles-but failure is not as costly an issue as it is for the petrol engines AFAIK.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Speaking from 6 months of experience-...

Thanks - I would be doing a lot of urban miles as it happens.

Totally agree about the bigger wheels, that would be a prerequisite for me.

Some good advice there, I'll be sure to look out for those issues when I'm doing test drives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Own an Alfa GT JTD since feb. Don't think it's suited to city driving as the clutch is heavy. But out on the twisty stuff is where it comes to life. Seats are by far the most comfortable I've ever sat in. They feel like they are hugging you into the car. It never fails to make me smile. If you are prepared to live with small problems and can work around them ie software bugs etc

endplate wrote: »
    Own an Alfa GT JTD since feb. Don't think it's suited to city driving as the clutch is heavy. But out on the twisty stuff is where it comes to life. Seats are by far the most comfortable I've ever sat in. They feel like they are hugging you into the car. It never fails to make me smile. If you are prepared to live with small problems and can work around them ie software bugs etc

The last (and most expensive) car I've ever owned was a 1989 Mini, so I can live with a few problems!

By software bugs, do you just occasionally inaccurate displays and dodgy sat nav etc?

nothing too serious if you hold the window switch button up or down for too long then the window will only close in 10cm steps. (Don't know if it's actually a bug but it's too easy to set in this mode). It's simply reset by holding the button up for 10 sec and then down for 10 sec.

Wind noise is another issue. The door windows are frameless sometimes the windows don't close fully after closing the door. Everything else seems to work as it should

• Advertisement

endplate wrote: »
    nothing too serious if you hold the window switch button up or down for too long then the window will only close in 10cm steps. (Don't know if it's actually a bug but it's too easy to set in this mode). It's simply reset by holding the button up for 10 sec and then down for 10 sec.

Wind noise is another issue. The door windows are frameless sometimes the windows don't close fully after closing the door. Everything else seems to work as it should

Oh, OK. I've heard that about the windows, worth keeping an eye out.

Some reviews have also said that the turning circle is a little too big - have you found that to be the case?

Some reviews have also said that the turning circle is a little too big - have you found that to be the case?

Visibilty is quite poor-front of the car slopes a lot and rear windows are small-but it is a coupe after all. Some swear by the parking sensors (an option) but I didn't like the look of them.

Wind noise and tyre roar are common enough complaints as well-but I have found I can live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I have one available for drive in the city,

Please note I AM in the motor trade, if this is against the rules please let me know

gabgab wrote: »
    I have one available for drive in the city,

Please note I AM in the motor trade, if this is against the rules please let me know

I probably won't be in a position to buy for around a month or so, maybe slightly more. Trying to avoid looking at cars for sale until then as I'll fall in love and put the fecker on a credit card or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Good man, and I know that feeling only too well.

Having driven all bar the 3.2 in the GT, with a wide selection of condition etc, the diesel is the one to go for. Also, try an dbuy from a place that gives decent warranty and has a good reputation

Oh, OK. I've heard that about the windows, worth keeping an eye out.

When the wndows are up fully it's not too bad. Make sure you get the Sportivo version. You get the BOSE sound system with subwoofer in the boot. You quickly loose interest in wind noise then.

Meh turning circle is not too bad no real complaints. As redsoxfan says roofline at the back is a little low and you tend to have to use your door mirrors to see whats over a 1/4 mile behind you. If the rear view mirror was moved down it would work ok but would probably look silly

Advertisement