Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Change Rip-off?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was quoted (over the phone) €250ish for a complete change of brake pads and discs on my '98 1.6 bog standard A3 from a branch of a fairly big brake/tyre crowd. When I got there I was told it was €250 for the front only, €470 for a complete change.

I only had €250 with me so I didn't go for it. Just checked micksgarage.ie and a full set of pads and discs costs roughly €240. Now I've no idea how much the labour costs but €470 is a con, surely? Even taking into account a mark-up on the parts, €200 or so for what can't be less than an hour's work?

Anone else had this problem or know what rough figure I should expect to pay?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm no mechanic, but I don't think that's only an hours work especially with test-driving and bleeding the brakes etc.

Also you're pricing the internet prices for pads & disks. YOu'll be charged differently for local supply & fit.

Ring a few other places to get a comparison, but I don't think it's as bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There was a stone trapped behind the disc in the rear of my car. It took me 25 minutes in my driveway last night to remove it. The job involved removing the pads & disc.
    I have a decent enough set of tools, so there was no "making it fit" type of activity going on. I am a pretty competent amateur too.

So multiply that job by 4 & add another 20 mins for brake bleed & a 15 minute drive test, also another 10-15 minutes for adjustment of hand brake (at shoes & inside car).
    So it could be up to 2hrs 15mins if done properly. Of course proper everyday-mechanics could do it a little faster. Also, I would rather go to a proper garage than one of those "fast fit" type of operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There was a stone trapped behind the disc in the rear of my car. It took me 25 minutes in my driveway last night to remove it. The job involved removing the pads & disc.
    I have a decent enough set of tools, so there was no "making it fit" type of activity going on. I am a pretty competent amateur too.

So multiply that job by 4 & add another 20 mins for brake bleed & a 15 minute drive test, also another 10-15 minutes for adjustment of hand brake (at shoes & inside car).
    So it could be up to 2hrs 15mins if done properly. Of course proper everyday-mechanics could do it a little faster. Also, I would rather go to a proper garage than one of those "fast fit" type of operations.

In a garage, they have lifts and air powered nut guns. So it makes the process far far quicker than you would do in your home. It should'nt take a mechanic more than an hour to do a set of four pads. Id do it in that with a lift and a gun. 470 is excessive.

That's a fair point about lifts & air guns, beats the hell out of trolley jacks & axle stands!

Would the hour include brake bleed, handbrake adjustment & test drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

guerito wrote: »
    Anone else had this problem or know what rough figure I should expect to pay?
    That sounds very high. Material-wise, a full set of pads shouldn't cost more than 70 (100 MAX), and it should take no more than an hours work on the ramp, provided nothing is badly seized.

EDIT: Four discs would add about another 40-50 to the material cost, and another 10-15 minutes to the time. Starting to look a little more reasonable.

• Advertisement

If it were OEM parts a front set of pads could cost €80, slightly less for rear, a set of discs could tip €200 for front, again slightly less for rear. I doubt that's what they quoted for though!

Some of that spurious stuff is rubbish though IMO. Poor anti squeal pads, no break-in chamfers & sometimes the pads don't seem to be as grippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit of shopping around and I can't get it done for less than €400.
    I considered getting the parts and doing it myself, but I'm a not-even-approaching-competent amateur, and after looking looking into it, it seems that spending a few quid is probably better than risking my (and other road users') necks.

Probably... ;)

Think I'll be investing in a Haynes manual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

listermint wrote: »
    In a garage, they have lifts and air powered nut guns. So it makes the process far far quicker than you would do in your home.

I've a compressor and airgun at home, and a hydraulic jack. I'd still think I'm talking the fat end of 2 hours to do the work the OP is discussing. I'd estimate for one corner, to take off the wheel, remove the brake disc clip, remove the worn pads, wind back the pistons, measure the brake disc thickness to see if it needs replacing, examine the disc for excessive wear/tear, examine the caliper for weeping around the seals, copper grease the new pads, put them in, refit the clip, refit the wheel, and then pump the brakes back up could take anything up to 20 mins. So for 4 wheels, you're talking 80 mins, and if anything else needs to be done like changing the fluid, and bleeding out the system, it could easily run to 2 hours.

Plus if the OP is being quoted 400 in most places including parts, it would stand to reason that it must be an average price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

hello there. just rang a local,to me, motor factor. Lavertys. completely above board.
    new pads front and rear 70, euro, ok spurious but top quality.

in his brothers garage one hundred plus vat , should fit them. a special tool may be needed.

Check around a bit more. If you are in a city there may not be much choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Two years ago a front end brake job cost me the guts of e400 on a Front wheel drive Transit. Disks were around 100, pads 60 and labour not far off 240, I could understand the labour being high as I was there and it took a whole morning with bottles to get at the old disks, the front wheel bearings got roasted in the process and was another 200 a few month later. Some brake jobs can have complications and I can see where some garages try to cover their ass, there is also the liability aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

rugbyman wrote: »
    hello there. just rang a local,to me, motor factor. Lavertys. completely above board.
    new pads front and rear 70, euro, ok spurious but top quality.

in his brothers garage one hundred plus vat , should fit them. a special tool may be needed.

Check around a bit more. If you are in a city there may not be much choice.
    You forgot to factor in the full set of discs!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

buy the parts yourself and bring to local garage to fit i know the garage i use only charge 35 euro per hr

also most places will tell you that the discs need to be change but most times you get away with just changing the pads unless the disc are very pitted

Advertisement