Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M/A1 Licence Question

• 25-08-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a full B licence but no M licence is indicated. My provisional did have the M.
    I do not have the "103 - No M entitlement" restriction on my current licence so can I just apply for a new licence with M on it or do I even need to?
    I cant figure it out from citiziens.ie and the tax office is closed since 3:30pm.
    Any help appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

As far as i know once the license is less than 5 years old you can just hand it in and they'll put it back on for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cheers, according to Axa once I have a full B I am ok for M also (from their insurance point of view)
    I'll try ring the motor tax office again today and see what I get from them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

GreeBo wrote: »
    Cheers, according to Axa once I have a full B I am ok for M also (from their insurance point of view)
    I'll try ring the motor tax office again today and see what I get from them...

You'll need the M mark on your license otherwise if you're stopped you can get done for no license, insurance or otherwise.

Yeah I wasnt sure about that bit allright
    I had them damn M on my provisional and when I applied for my Full B I asked for M but the guy behind the counter said that I couldnt have it.
    However he also held onto my provisional so I was suddenly without an M licence, provisional or otherwise.

I presume to get M I need a whole new licence, they cant just add it in after the fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

They should be able to add it in the Motor Tax office AFAIK.

I don't think you can apply for an M licence on it's own, you need to apply for an A1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Hi guys,

Im also wondering about this situation. The following is taken from http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/Licensing/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf.
    Q. I have a full B (car) license. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle? A. The holder of a category B license granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licenses granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such license holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a learner permit in category M and successfully undergo the practical
    driving test in order to obtain a full license in this category.

Do I atcually need to go and get them to issue a new licence or am I good to go with my current full B licence? The prob I see it getting stopped by a guard that is not aware of the laws in this area. I passed the test on 04/05/05 so I fall into the old "loophole" system. It seems noone knows the answer to this question.

Ill be going in to the office on monday to see if I can get an answer, Ill post up what I find.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Surely someone here knows the answer??. I supose you all drive "propper" bikes and have passed the "propper" bike test, which is fair enough I supose :).

Hi guys,
    Q. I have a full B (car) license. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle? A. The holder of a category B license granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licenses granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such license holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a learner permit in category M and successfully undergo the practical
    driving test in order to obtain a full license in this category.
    Ugh. So I missed this deadline by 1 month. There was no announcement that this was going to happen and now I seem to have fallen through some loophole.
    I was on my second provisional (which both had M)
    I was driving a moped for 2 years on these licences/insurance and now I am back as if I never set foot on a moped.

Is there an appear process for this type of thing?

Cheers :(

Advertisement