Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

patents

Options
  • 25-08-2008 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

hypothetical question:

In a recent thread on this forum someone said that in their company they document software development by using a wiki on the intranet.

ok, say no one had invented a wiki, and someone developed one and described a process of documenting software development on the wiki

-would that count as a business method which uses a program to solve a technical problem and therefore be patentable?

I think my confusion is from not being certain of the exact definition of a business method in this context.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

... it looks like business processes are regarded as the lowlife of patents nowadays. However, if you work out an original way of doing things in business, then it's a business process that can be patented.

Why not invent something instead and make it a real patent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Just trying to get an understanding of what sort of software could be patented and how, by using an example of software/process that I am familiar with: From my limited understanding of software patents, you can only get software patented as part of a business process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Not true - I have four software patents (actually, my corporate masters have them!). You can patent software in some countries, but not in others. I don't think it's possible in Ireland or the UK, but it is in the USA - you can even do it online without a lawyer at http://www.uspto.gov

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

bpmurray wrote: »
    you can even do it online without a lawyer at http://www.uspto.gov

Unless your a patent lawyer I wouldn't even bother to attempt it to do it by yourself. It is expensive process and if not worded correctly it can be easily invalidated.

A lot of the prior art systems are not free and patent lawyers would have access to them. It also costs easily 15-20K to file a patent.

Advertisement