Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollow Block Insulation

Options
  • 25-08-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am interested in insulating the existing hollow block walls in my house. Is it possible to hire the equipment and purchase the insulation material to do this job?

I have seen a job done by so called professionals and the holes range from 6" to 16" apart. As the cavities in the blocks are at 9" centers there must be areas of the walls that have no insulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I think you might be referring to "pumped insulation", that is pumped into the 100mm wide cavity, with a solid block outer leaf and a solid blockwork inner leaf, ie the wall is 300mm wide.

I don't think it is possible to hire the equipment for this job , but I could be wrong.

I would dryline a house if the external walls were 9 inch hollow blocks. Insulation can be purchased locally, consider 60mm foil backed high density insulation with plaster slab attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cosycole

Hi There
    Dont waste your time or your money There is only one way to insulate a hollow block wall and that is from the external This work is best left to the experts as there is a high level of skill involved,Only conmen or fools will tell you the walls can be pumped.You can dryline internal side but you not have a high level of insulated value Why not do the job right from the start
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jobber

Thanks Cosycole,

I have got a quote already for insulation on the outside but apart from the high cost, I found this method would interfere with down pipes, drains, windows and door openings. Another reason I had against outside insulation was that the heat inside would rise up through the cavity of the blocks in to attic space. The man who quoted me agreed this could be cause for concern. I know outside insulation if done on a new building would be good.

Hi There
    If your contractor knows his job he will tell you you can have your cills covered with alumimuim Regarding the tops of your walls you should have your loft pumped to close down the small amount of heat loss.I know the job is going to cost more but it is money well spent also you will have very good ratings I feel the savings in fuel costs would be as much as fifty percent per year,not to mention your contribution to the planet I suggest a seventy Mil Kingspan Phenloic board and finished in any colour you want
    On a cavity block there is no better way
    Good Luck

Hi There
    Back again I forgot to mention your pipes these must be removed and refitted on new surface when finished It is not a problem.
    Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement