Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what ones you choosing??

Options
  • 25-08-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

so guys what electives have you decided to pick??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Gonna do Spanish 1a and 1b for absolute beginners methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

oh cool, i have heard beginners language modules are supposed to be a good choice, but languages were never my thing!! i still cant decide on (an easy!) second semester module :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Id quite like to do arabic, but im not great at languages so im a little nervous. Apart from that i have no idea what to pick. I havent fully decided on my main subjects yet.

lol me too, i cant decide on my archaeology options, but they wont ever fill up so i should be ok to wait and have a think about them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

IS30020 - Web Publishing
    COMP10050 - Software Engineering Project 1

ANd so I continue my degree as a TP student moonlighting as a CS student...

• Advertisement

I was wondering as well about the how many credits in main subjects people were taking. Ucd website recommends taking 20 credits in at least one subject and maybe another. I was thinking of 20, 15, 15, and then 10 left for electives. I want to try leave my options open for taking a subject as a major.

are you going into first year?

in my first yr i did 20 hist 20 arch 10 greek and roman and 10 linguistics.... i went on to do a joint major in ling and arch ......... so basically if you only do 15 in one subject you can (USUALLY.... check the appropriate subject if you want to be positive) still go ahead with it in second and third year

so basically thats a good idea as it keeps your options broader and open :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Raemie wrote: »
    I was wondering as well about the how many credits in main subjects people were taking. Ucd website recommends taking 20 credits in at least one subject and maybe another. I was thinking of 20, 15, 15, and then 10 left for electives. I want to try leave my options open for taking a subject as a major.
    Check the UCD site for rules on progression with subjects. Some require that you only take 1 level one module to progress to second year - others might require you to have taken 7 specific modules in order to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Ya, im going into first year, you guys must be sick of first years hijacking your threads! Arabic sounds cool, id love to do japanese too. Arabic would be very useful too id say.

• Advertisement

lol no way , im just sick of wanting to be a first year again!! lol

ah im so indecisive and cant just decide on a damn elective!!

good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brain & Behaviour 1st Psychology and Financial Accounting for non-Business students...the latter sounds nice and easy after LC accounting:D...all bar the 3 hour lectures!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

History of Irish Elections and I'm considering that Quantative Economics one that people are talking about.
    When do we actually get the privillage of registering for these electives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

pithater1 wrote: »
    In most cases either today or tomorrow. Check here for your course's date.

I'm doing German for General Purposes Stage 2. My last semester of electives :( / :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No electives for us this year, would have been nice to have had room to squeeze in a Level 1 language course to chill out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

History of Irish Elections and I'm considering that Quantative Economics one that people are talking about.
    Tomorrow if you're Arts

I'll be doing 'Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology', aaaaaaaannnnnddd.................... something else as yet to be decided :)

Breezer wrote: »
    In most cases either today or tomorrow. Check here for your course's date.

I'm doing German for General Purposes Stage 2. My last semester of electives :( / :)

Cheers, hopefully it'll come online for me close to the stroke of midnight.
    As for the German, easy A. Did it last semester, the main challenge is motivating yourself to actually go to the classes at 6 on a monday, ;)

Cheers, hopefully it'll come online for me close to the stroke of midnight.
    Try around 2 - 3 a.m. and you should be safe ;)

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Try around 2 - 3 a.m. and you should be safe ;)

Lol! I'll prob be fast asleep by then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Dave! wrote: »
    I'll be doing 'Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology'
    You'll meet a few interesting characters in that one :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As for the German, easy A. Did it last semester, the main challenge is motivating yourself to actually go to the classes at 6 on a monday, ;)

It's worse when you've been in since 9am that morning, gives you a stupidly long day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Breezer wrote: »
    You'll meet a few interesting characters in that one :P
    As long as they're not wierder than me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

My elective reg wasn't open at 6am Irish time this morning, so I tihnk they do it at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ARCT20020: The Indoor Environment

That's my single elective for the whole of 2nd year, Structural Engineering & Architecture. Hey, if I'm going to spend all that time studying buildings, I ought to learn a bit about what goes on inside them, right? :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

yeah its 6am now and its not open :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

yeah its 6am now and its not open :S
    It opened around 7am, at least for me anyway!
    Ended up picking an extra politics module and a social policy module. Would have liked to take that Arabic module (I can read the alphabet and speak a few words already) but the times are too late, it would be nearly 10pm by the time I'd get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Mushy wrote: »
    Brain & Behaviour 1st Psychology and Financial Accounting for non-Business students...the latter sounds nice and easy after LC accounting:D...all bar the 3 hour lectures!

Yeah, I was all ready to do that and then saw the three hour lecture thing. I think I'd explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Was looking to pick up two Italian language modules, with a view to possibly studying in Italy for 3rd year, from the language and culture centre thing but they clash with Criminal Law on Monday mornings :(. So at the moment I've opted for Coaching Theory in Sports Management and General Purposes Italian from the Applied Languages Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hey all, if a module has prerequisites does it mean you need to do them as well or before you can do it?

I understand the definition of prerequisite, but sports science 3 needs nutritional physiology which needs two others? Seems like they are impossible to do unless you are part of a course that offers all the modules?

Can anyone help me?

• Advertisement

Hey all, if a module has prerequisites does it mean you need to do them as well or before you can do it?

I understand the definition of prerequisite, but sports science 3 needs nutritional physiology which needs two others? Seems like they are impossible to do unless you are part of a course that offers all the modules?

Can anyone help me?
    Here's a guide to requisites:
    Pre-Requisites – students must have passed the modules listed as prerequisites in order to enrol for the module, or have achieved the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Required Modules – students have taken the modules listed as required modules in order to enrol for the module, or have attempted the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Co-Requisites – students must also take or have taken the modules listed as co-requisites in order to enrol for the module, or attempt the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Incompatible Modules – students cannot be awarded credit for the module and also be awarded credit for any of the modules listed as incompatible modules because of the similarity of their learning outcomes

Exclusions – students cannot be awarded credit for this module if they have already achieved similar educational outcomes in higher, further or secondary education as specified by the exclusion

Module requirements – students must have satisfied these requirements, which could include a minimum overall performance at earlier stages of the programme expressed as a required GPA, or a minimum performance at second level in a specified subject or subjects

Recommendations – students are recommended, but not required, to have the prior learning specified in the recommendation; this may include a recommendation to take or have taken certain modules or to have achieved the associated learning outcomes in some other way, or a recommendation expressed in more general terms of the prior learning.

You could always take the others as extra credit electives - that costs $$$, though.

Advertisement