Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

so what ones you choosing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I was thinking philosophy of science, PHIL30010. I'm going into stage 3 chemistry and I'd like to complement the knowing with the thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hey all, if a module has prerequisites does it mean you need to do them as well or before you can do it?
    Before. IIRC the system won't let you register for a course if you don't have a prerequisite. Even if I'm wrong about that, it's a good idea to assume that there's a good reason for the prerequisite. (You could always enquire for more detail.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

hey all.

going into 1st year arts this year.decided im doing three 20 credit subjects. and this is probably gonna be a bit of a stupid question but is it still possible to take electives even if im already getting my 60 credits from my main subjects?? and if yes whats the story with passing exams and completing the year.do i still have to pass everything including the elective?? even though its gonna be 70 credits?

thanks for any answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

kev_s88 wrote: »
    hey all.

going into 1st year arts this year.decided im doing three 20 credit subjects. and this is probably gonna be a bit of a stupid question but is it still possible to take electives even if im already getting my 60 credits from my main subjects?? and if yes whats the story with passing exams and completing the year.do i still have to pass everything including the elective?? even though its gonna be 70 credits?

thanks for any answers
    You could do that but you'll have to pay around e700 to take two extra credit electives. The 60 credits (3x20 modules) will count towards stage GPA and the extra credit electives will appear on your transcript.

You need to 'pass' a minimum of 50 credits to go from year one to year two.

thanks for the answer

since im not paying for that, it would seem that im gonna have to change one 20 credit into a 10 credit cause i really wanna do arabic as an elective.grrrrrr i hate making decisions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

That's the joy of B&L really, no need to fuss about electives...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

sorry, double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Went for History of Australia and Musicology (random but should be interesting) in the end.

im hoping to do arabic and chinese as my electives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

I wonder if there'll be a big increase of people wanting to do chinese after the olympics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

hello,

General Arts first year...
    Economics(20), English(20), Psychology(10), Philosophy.(10)
    Shud be good!!

Arts DN012

Music (20 credits), Drama Studies (20 credits), Philosophy (10 credits) and beginners Arabic and German as my two 5 credit electives

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Crap,I'm beggining to get worried about electives now!Have all the first years signed up for them already??The fact that I only have dial-up means that signing up online is basically a no-no.:(

I'd like to keep up Japanese as I studied it for the Leaving.After that,I'm not sure,maybe a law elective or Classical Studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're doing Japanese having done it for the LC, you'll probably be put into level 3, which was the highest level offered when I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Algorithms MATH30020
    and
    Mathematical Biology MAPH40110

what am i thinking???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Algorithms MATH30020
    and

what am i thinking???

Actually I heard about someone who did Alrgorithms and apparently they just worked things out using matchsticks

Not too sure about Mathematical Biology tho. My face would be constantly like this...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Actually I heard about someone who did Alrgorithms and apparently they just worked things out using matchsticks

the professor is inspiring
    Not too sure about Mathematical Biology tho. My face would be constantly like this...:eek:

should be good fun

It actually sounds quite interesting, but I think it would make my brain explode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jealousman

Any advice for me. Doing commerce and want to go deeper. Open to all suggestions.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Algorithms MATH30020
    and

what am i thinking???
    ...That's a really cool name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 odhran666

I'm doing Russian 1 + 2, what happens after that? I don't think there are any higher levels but is there any way I can continue to study Russian after 1st year?

Also, I studied it on my own a bit so I'm not a complete beginner, is that allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Arts DN012:

English
    Philosophy
    Music
    Greek and Roman Civilisation

I had my heart set on Psychology :(

monellia wrote: »
    Arts DN012:

English
    Philosophy
    Music
    Greek and Roman Civilisation

I had my heart set on Psychology :(

okay after changing my mind like every 20 mins i finally decided

Arts Omnibus

Music (20 credits)
    Drama (20 credits)
    Philosophy (10 credits)

Arabic and Intro to Applied Psychology as my electives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Mathematical Biology would sound better IMO but great course idea all the same.

My final choices (arts omnibus):

History (20 Credits)
    Economics (15)
    Politics (15)

and electives japanese 1 and 2. I'm not so confident about those, might do something else for semester 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Liquid155

I was wondering, can you take both electives in the same semester? Because I put myself down for 20 credits in history, though I'm not crazy about the second semester modules...And there are two electives I'd really like to do.

Slightly related, in History there are 2 modules, 'Doing History 1' and 'Doing History 2'. Is it neccessary to do Doing History 1 to do Doing History 2? Or can you do/understand Doing History 2 without 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Liquid155 wrote: »
    I was wondering, can you take both electives in the same semester? Because I put myself down for 20 credits in history, though I'm not crazy about the second semester modules...And there are two electives I'd really like to do.

Slightly related, in History there are 2 modules, 'Doing History 1' and 'Doing History 2'. Is it neccessary to do Doing History 1 to do Doing History 2? Or can you do/understand Doing History 2 without 1?
    Yes you can do both electives in the same semester. You can do a maximum of 40 credits in a semester.

Check the prerequisites box to see if you need to take "doing history 1".

Raemie wrote: »
    My final choices (arts omnibus):

History (20 Credits)
    Economics (15)
    Politics (15)

and electives japanese 1 and 2. I'm not so confident about those, might do something else for semester 2

Stick with Japanese, it's pretty awesome :)

Stick with Japanese, it's pretty awesome :)

I may have to track you down for help in that case...

It'll be nice to have a subject that i can study by watching cartoons ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Would Japenese 1 be good to do if you're not looking for something too difficult?

Also was looking at Introduction to the Psychology of Perception and Cognition (PSY10040

Advertisement