Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap option to powder scale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Pretty good,you can pick them up in any head shop these days in Ireland.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What ammo are you using? Most guys shooting ISSF smallbore don't weigh their ammo as far as I know, and still manage a good deal of consistency, just by using quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

What ammo are you using? Most guys shooting ISSF smallbore don't weigh their ammo as far as I know, and still manage a good deal of consistency, just by using quality stuff.

it wasn't me, it stems from something I read written by Bruce Potts in which he maintains there can still be a 5-10% difference in the weight of rounds from even top factory ammo. He then batches them according to weight and rim thickness. In this article he says that there was a marked increase in consistency which tightened groups by a similar %. I haven't started weighting them but at that price for a scale it can't hurt to see the results and do a comparison. I use Lapua scoremax or master when possible. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cool. It'd be interesting information, but I still can't see myself doing it. I can't afford to throw away rounds of Master or other nice ammo for being in the wrong weight class, and for what it's worth, I've had about two rounds of Master across maybe two to three thousand where I'd question the ammo for the resulting score, and none of them were way out. Still, if it gives you confidence, let us know how you get on, shots of before and after groups perhaps?

Thrust me , I ain't throw'n away any ammo simply batch them and use accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have never reloaded but I did try this weighing exercise a few years ago with complete 6.5x55 rounds just to see if it made any difference.

Opened about 6-8 boxes and weighed each one then grouped most of them in 5's according to how close they appeared in weight. The scales I was using was not very accurate but still there WERE weight differences. Of course impossible to tell what part of the round would be the cause of the difference but that's also a reason to reload.

On the range at 600 - It made a massive difference, shrinking the groups by at least 50%.

Where can I get one of these scales here ? Sounds like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

30 euros for one in any Head shop in Dublin..Said shops easily identified now nationwide by garish Jamican national flag colors on the outside and Marijuanna leaves in the decor.Cheap and tacky airsoft guns for sale, crappy decor samurai swords ,bong pipes and other drug paraphenalia for sale.Usually called somthing like;Darkside,Brightside, lostmahead or somthing of that nature.Two of them in Capel st if I remember.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

freddieot wrote: »
    I have never reloaded but I did try this weighing exercise a few years ago with complete 6.5x55 rounds just to see if it made any difference.

Opened about 6-8 boxes and weighed each one then grouped most of them in 5's according to how close they appeared in weight. The scales I was using was not very accurate but still there WERE weight differences. Of course impossible to tell what part of the round would be the cause of the difference but that's also a reason to reload.

On the range at 600 - It made a massive difference, shrinking the groups by at least 50%.

Where can I get one of these scales here ? Sounds like good value.

If you do get one and it is a good one and it is sensitive you wont be able to use in the open/on an open range because the wind keeps changing it and you have to keep resetting the tare.

Sikamick

I would say0.001 of a grain is pretty sensitive so it's really a job done at home.

Advertisement