Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

second hand car

Options
  • 25-08-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi all i need to buy a car. im a male so max 1.4 petrol otherwise 2.0 diesel around 90bhp. have 5000 to spend on a car not much i know. i want to get as new a car as possible and would rather a diesel. what about a citroen xsara hdi diesel it seems you could pick one of these up easily enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robin2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wouldn't be too much of a reg snob when it comes to buying a used car. It might be cheap for a start but it might cost you alot more in the long run.

Will you be doing alot of miles?
    Is it long trips or short trips you will be doing?
    Do you need 5 door or 3 door etc.

More information the better, there are alot of cars out there for under 5K!!

ok it must start with a 0 ie 2000.
    golf size or similar tbh i wouldnt mind passat size either.
    maby 10000 miles a year at first 15 mins to work each way etc.
    has to have 5 doors
    preferably 5 door.

Would a diesel really benifit yo then? The higher tax, plus the fact that the engine takes longer to warm up, and needs to warm up before it becomes economical. The 1.4 petrol should benifit you as much as a diesel. There are plenty of golf's out there,

You can get a nice spec, 00-01 Golf for that kinda money. If it is a Golf your buyin i would reccomend a Comfortline spec as it comes with extra's you would want ie. elec windows, central locking, armrests and more comfortable seats. Here is an example.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-COMFORTLINE/1181341/

Would a diesel really benifit yo then? The higher tax, plus the fact that the engine takes longer to warm up, and needs to warm up before it becomes economical. The 1.4 petrol should benifit you as much as a diesel. There are plenty of golf's out there,

You can get a nice spec, 00-01 Golf for that kinda money. If it is a Golf your buyin i would reccomend a Comfortline spec as it comes with extra's you would want ie. elec windows, central locking, armrests and more comfortable seats. Here is an example.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-COMFORTLINE/1181341/

ya i like it the only thing that would woory me is that it had 3 different owners or is this the norm. i saw a citroen xsara 2002 back at kevin o learys opel bandon asking 6995 but because the mother buys a new vectra every year the salesman said he would give it for 5000 does this sound reasonable probably more room for negoation. the salesman said its on carzone but cant seem to find it. that also had 3 prev owners which was a little off putting. what do ye think of citroens. the only reason i would prefer diesel is that there easier to drive as in they dont be cutting out as much and i wouldnt have to be filling up at the garage as we have a big tank up the yard for the white diesel

• Advertisement

robin2 wrote: »
    the garage as we have a big tank up the yard for the white diesel

Lol dodgey times!

If he's asking 6,995 he is asking alot!!!
    Here's one for 3.5k
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Citroen/Xsara/2.0-HDI/1168380/

The average person would keep a car 2-3 years so i wouldn't be put off by owners unless it's something like 4-5 plus for a 2000 or newer.

robin2 wrote: »
    the only reason i would prefer diesel is that there easier to drive as in they dont be cutting out as much

Also i don't think there is anything easier about diesel's to drive. Some would say underpowered diesels would be worse for taking off in second etc, where as petrols would be better for this.

that wouldnt really bother me its just cutting out at lights etc. are citroens as reliable as vw and fords.

Advertisement