Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apocalyptica

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 cheeeesecake

I saw them support Rammstein a few years ago at the Brixton Academy. I hadn't heard of them before and when they first came on stage I was a bit miffed - long hair and leather trousers and waistcoats and huge cellos and a double bass....but they were actually pretty good! They did a Metallica song - can't remember which one now - but they were good to watch live.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm a big fan. Saw them play last year some time. Fantastic gig. Love the cover of Heroes and the song they did with Corey Taylor:

And they've done loads of Metallica songs. Check out the Album "Metallica by 4 cellos"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I saw them last year too. Absolutely fantastic live band and their albums keep getting better and better. I remember when they first brought out "Plays Metallica on 4 Cellos", the bf bought it and we were both hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

<3 Apocalyptica. They're doing something interesting and it's nice to have people out there reminding you that metal isn't just "graargh! Noise and headbanging!" They add a little class to the genre, as well as sounding bloody brilliant. MOAR PLZKTHX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

They are a fantastic band with such an original sound. I agree with Nightwish, their albums have been getting better and better.

I love the song S.O.S. (Anything But Love) and while trawling YouTube I see they released a video for it:

Does anyone know why there are 4 cellists in the band but only 3 in the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I love them, absolutely love them. Worlds Collide was such a fantastic album, can't wait for the next one. Although having said that, I wish they'd release some non-vocal songs from the album. 'I Don't Care' was the latest, but there are far better tracks such as the title track, Grace, Last Hope and others.
    malice wrote:
    Does anyone know why there are 4 cellists in the band but only 3 in the video?
    One of the cellists, Antero Manninen (guy who always wears the sunglasses), left the band but still plays with them live. I think that's the situation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love them, thought the gig last year was absolutely amazing. One of the most surreal gigs I've ever been to, but seriously awesome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great band, fantastic live, been following them for a few years now. Check out "Cult".

One of the cellists, Antero Manninen (guy who always wears the sunglasses), left the band but still plays with them live. I think that's the situation anyway.
    That must be it. I think what confused me was I read the band line-up on this page which has four names on it under current members but one of them is listed as a drummer. That'll teach me to speed read :).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Went to see these last year jebus they rock, love there latest album and the tribute album to metallica, seek and destroy!!!!!!!!! savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

An utterly outstanding band in every way. Their albums have just kept improving one after the other and they offer something very unique not just within the world of metal, but the world of commercial music in general. Speaking from a classical music point of view (I've played since I was 5/6 years of age); what they're playing is actually rather difficult to pull off which just makes them all the more impressive as a band.

I had the good fortune to see them in December 2007 for their first ever gig in Ireland and I was not disappointed what.so.ever. Nor was anyone else I know who attended.

I wonder will anyone post on this thread to say they don't like Apocalyptica?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

How is it that Apocalyptica sound deadly, but when Metallica did an album with a classical orchestra it ended up sounding completely sh1t?

ZakAttak wrote: »
    How is it that Apocalyptica sound deadly, but when Metallica did an album with a classical orchestra it ended up sounding completely sh1t?
    Well, I think 4 cellos do not equal an entire orchestra and I for one liked Metallica's S&M. Each to their own and all that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Really like them! Only have "Worlds Collide" but must check out some more!

🤪

Ummmm ..... you DO realise that Apocalyptica also did covers of other metal bands too right? Oh sorry ... did I ruin an attempt at hijacking a thread to bash another band? :rolleyes:

On a more opinionated note; as much as I liked S&M; the billing rarely exceeded the sum of its parts - with a few notable exceptions in the set list - and honestly speaking from an orchestral background, I think some of the songs did not lend themselves well to the orchestral score written for them. In short, S&M although a damn good concept idea came up short in adding something new to the mix for the most part (in my own personal opinion). Why? I think because rather than try to integrate the orchestra into the band, they build the orchestra around the band. If you removed the orchestra you still had the band. Hence I feel overall that it feel short of what it set out to achieve.

Apocalyptica have very much added something new to the mix in every song they've either covered or written by themselves. They've created a different sound (well duh ... ), been highly creative in providing percussive and bass lines (long before they ever added the drummer), and at once managed to recreate the sound of a riff whilst adding melody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Ummmm ..... you DO realise that Apocalyptica also did covers of other metal bands too right? Oh sorry ... did I ruin an attempt at hijacking a thread to bash another band?

==>Yes I do, Im not sure what you're point is here; whats the crapness of S&M got to do with the fact that Apocalyptica cover other bands' music?

In fairness, I didn't bash Metallica- I bashed that sh1tty s&m album.

==>Yes I do, Im not sure what you're point is here; whats the crapness of S&M got to do with the fact that Apocalyptica cover other bands' music?

In fairness, I didn't bash Metallica- I bashed that sh1tty s&m album.

You might want to look at how you structure your rhetorical questions then ... just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

I love Apocalyptica. I did some promo for them from Xtaster and they paid for tickets to a gig in Dublin. It was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Only heard a couple of their songs.. but LOVE their cover of One (Metallica!) Its feckin brilliant!! :D

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    You might want to look at how you structure your rhetorical questions then ... just a thought.

Don't argue with an idiot, he'll only end up bring you down to his level and he'll beat you man, he has far more experience at it.

I'm a big fan of Apocalyptica. One of the few bands who constantly surprise me with the direction their career goes. Really, really hoping to see them live in the near future as I had tickets for the Dublin gig last year and could'nt go because of work.

Advertisement