Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SV 650s modified.

• 25-08-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

After a few weeks of work I finished customising the SV. After deciding to keep it in december instead of selling it due to a bad market I decided to clean the brake pistons as they where cruded up. Now the front brakes have been rebuilt with a new master cyclinder, braided hoses and caliper seals. This took some work as I encountered a few gremlins along the way. I must admit that I fitted GSXR four pot calipers to an SV at the weekend with great results so this may be done in the future.
    The front forks now have progressive springs and 15W oil. This stops the notorious pogo effects the SV suffers from. It also helps with the braking as it doesn't nose dive now. The rear shock has also been replaced with a ZX10R fully adjustable model. This almost bolts straight in as a replacement but you do need to move the battery and fuses. The exhaust has been replaced with a laser exhaust more for ascetic reasons than anything else as the scorpion had a horrid colour but great sound. The subframe and torque arm have been resprayed with hammerite to protect from rust as the original paint had given up after eight years.
    Of some concern was a hairline crack in the left clipon so this has been replaced but I have no idea how it came to be cracked. It was on the fork tube side internal to the clamp so only became visible when the tube was out for the new internals.
    I also decided to go the whole way and respray the bike to my own personal taste as I've no intention of ever selling it now. I had some great help from a number of friends and lots of advise on how to setup some components. I also discovered that a bike looks very strange when in bits scattered around a garage floor. Even though I had taken the bike apart at different stages over the years I had never fully stripped it down to the engine and frame. It was easier than I imagined but still not to be done in haste. Overall the bike feels better than it ever has and at a much cheaper price than a new bike. Now that this bike is finished I wouldn't mind trying my had at a metric chopper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Orange and blue do NOT go together I'm afraid... I only hope that's the before pic and not the after one :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As the previous poster said, please tell us that the orange and blue pic is the "before" one :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Fair play to you for taking this on and as you are keeping it it doesn't matter what other people think.
    However, I can't believe my eyes that paint combination is shocking! Also the Scorpion can looked fantastic and the new one looks to be battered!
    Throw up another couple of pics from a better angle so we can see the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Afraid the orange and blue is the after. As I said it's to my personal taste. It does look better in the flesh. The end can is actually nice and shiney but the camera phone isn't great at taking pics of the chrome and there was some wax on it. The scorpion was very scratched up and blowing from a hole on the joint. anyhow if ever you see the bike around give a little wave. I need to get some decals on the bike to break up the blocks of colour a little more and it needs a little bit of a tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

While I'm envious of your wrenching ability, your choice of colour scheme is criminal. I couldn't decide if minging or manky was the most accurate description so I'm going with minky.

If I see you I'll give a little wave (and probably puke a little in my helmet).

Err, no offense...... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

I almost believed it
    Then I looked closer any more picks?

(Edit) Its ok I had a look on the other channel, I thought you were joking)

Did any of you guys ever consider a job in diplomacy in Middle East?

OP, happy to hear your brake updates worked a treat. Good to hear you're did brake update over an engine update, for example. And your SV is now *your* SV. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

samih wrote: »
    Did any of you guys ever consider a job in diplomacy in Middle East?

OP, happy to hear your brake updates worked a treat. Good to hear you're did brake update over an engine update, for example. And your SV is now *your* SV. Enjoy.

The engine is powerful enough in standard form. Any SV rider will tell you tales about the brakes. Also if I wanted compliments from the bike community on the paint I'd have done black/red with flames/skulls/tribal. At least people will remember the bike once their eyes have stopped bleeding. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

[...]At least people will remember the bike once their eyes have stopped bleeding. :rolleyes:
    LOL! :D

At least YOUR bike makes YOU happy and that's what counts! And nobody will want to steal it so that colour scheme is not all bad! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The exhaust has been replaced with a laser exhaust more for aesthetic reasons than anything else as the scorpion had a horrid colour but great sound.
    :D PR, (very) nice mechanical work but for the love of god, that paintwork is a bit industrial. It looks like a german bin lorry.....

auto7.jpg

....but whatever floats your boat my man. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement