Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic question...

• 25-08-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Folks..
    The most basic of questions.. I spotted a 1995 Merc C220 diesel on the web, would this be RWD or FWD ? or are all Mercs RWD ?

Thanks
    bam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

If it has a 4matic badge, it'll be 4WD. Otherwise it's RWD.
    I'd imagine the only FWD merc is the A-Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was afraid of that..
    Don't fancy RWD for the wet and frosty roads...

Cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The mercs aren't really tail happy. They are a heavy lump and if it's an auto it'll be even harder to get the tail out

So..
    Any Merc drivers out there...
    Without traction control how would a RWD Merc compare say to my 99 TDi Passat in poor conditions....

Thanks
    bam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

A mate of mine used to drive a c220 from Belfast to Larne and did it through snow a few times. It was absolutely fine. Like whats been said mercs are pretty planted at the back.

I'd defo say it has better roadholding than a passat. I'm a huge fan of this model, the heavy duty engineering is great, doesn't like being rushed however.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    So..
    Any Merc drivers out there...
    Without traction control how would a RWD Merc compare say to my 99 TDi Passat in poor conditions....
    I drive a 325i, so probably similar weight and layout, automatic and maybe a little more powerful, so take my opinion as you like...

On Saturday I replaced my almost bald tires with a new set. I haven't had a chance to drive them in the rain yet, but I can tell you the bald tires weren't that bad in the Texas monsoons. Accelerating out of a small road onto a main road had the back end taking me by surprise once or twice, even with traction control turned on, but I wasn't in danger of losing control.

Mrs. Balfa's all-or-nothing accelerator pedal will have the traction control light flashing MOST times she turns out onto a main road!

But remember, that was all with cheap, low quality and BALD tires!

Just go easy in the rain and concentrate on your driving and you'll be fine. Don't give it full throttle unless you're pointed in a straight line. But don't let the fact that its RWD put you off getting a Merc. Buy it and enjoy it :)

Onkle wrote: »
    if it's an auto it'll be even harder to get the tail out
    I'd actually disagree with that. While the throttle response of a manual will help you get over the line between grip and lack thereof, it'll also make it easier both to get back behind the line and to sense where that line is. My auto is a big wet blanket that just mushes everything and removes me from the throttle experience. I have no idea when the wheels are starting to slip until I'm already going sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Balfa wrote: »
    I'd actually disagree with that. While the throttle response of a manual will help you get over the line between grip and lack thereof, it'll also make it easier both to get back behind the line and to sense where that line is. My auto is a big wet blanket that just mushes everything and removes me from the throttle experience. I have no idea when the wheels are starting to slip until I'm already going sideways.

Eh the c220d has 95hp and no turbo and weighs more than a supertanker full of moons, manual or auto its not going to be a hairy driving experience.

Ferris wrote: »
    Eh the c220d has 95hp and no turbo and weighs more than a supertanker full of moons, manual or auto its not going to be a hairy driving experience.

Ha, I missed that it was diesel. Yeah, that's a different kettle of fish. Nothing to be concerned about, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

i know a lad that puts bags of sand in the boot of his merc when the weather gets bad

• Advertisement

VH wrote: »
    i know a lad that puts bags of sand in the boot of his merc when the weather gets bad
    That'll do two things. First, it'll make his rear tires grip better. Second, it'll give the back end of his car way more momentum, meaning there's more force trying to make the tires lose grip. Which effect is larger would be open to debate, but I would personally be very surprised if this idea didn't hinder rather than helping. Bear in mind that a boot floor these days is pretty high off the ground, above the spare wheel. So you're lifting the car's centre of gravity up, too. I'd say don't mess with it. Handling will be unpredictable and if the rear end does actually break loose, it'll be far more difficult to recover.

About the only use for it would be if you're stuck in snow or mud, and you need lots of weight over the drive wheels just to get out. Even then, I'd rather have someone jumping up and down on the rear door sills than sand in the boot.

Now you have me thinking maybe...

last RWD I had was a C-type opel kadette with a 1.6 ascona engine and 205/65 tyres... I was younger then and enjoyed the challenge of keeping her straight :D.

Next question...
    Does this engine have timing belt or chain..
    There is only 155K on the clock with full merc service history until 85K, receipts since then... ~€2.5K

Passat has 175K, needs wheel bearing, timing belt, service, respray as laquour has peeled... Its near not worth spending the money :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

VH wrote: »
    This is probably a habit from when he had an old cortina or something, certainly not needed in a merc.
    I drive a C220 and never had the back-end slip away from me, except when i've wanted it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bbam wrote: »
    Does this engine have timing belt or chain..
    Prett sure all M-B engines use chains. Open to correction, though!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

angry_bob wrote: »
    This is probably a habit from when he had an old cortina or something, certainly not needed in a merc.
    I drive a C220 and never had the back-end slip away from me, except when i've wanted it to.

Please don't bump old threads without good reason :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement