Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dog owners, please help. advice needed!

• 25-08-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

My 2 year old jack russell has developed a raised, pink lump/sore(?) on his front paw. not sore to touch but does not look good. anyone have any idea what it can be? about the size of a 1cent coin. no hair growth on same. he just licks the lump/sore and does not mind me touching it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your vet will tell you ...for certain.
    All a forum can deliver are more or less educated guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Not being funny but it could be anything from a reactionary flea bite to a tumour (worst case ok). Best to keep an eye on it if it gets bigger/redder take him off to the vets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I think in this case it sounds like the lump sounds big enough to be seen by a vet now.

It could be anything from grass seed that bury's it's self in the skin to a tummer thats prolably twice the size on the in side (worse case) some thing like both of these will need to be caught sooner rader than later.

Like some one already said we can only guess but the vet will be able to tell you for sure. I would have been long gone already.

If you live in Dublin and funds are low get in contact with the blue cross and see if they can't help you out, if your insured don't hang around with this.

Lets know how you get on. Hope every thing will be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

my old springer gets them(cant think of the name of it). they're not dangerous,but you'll need to go to the vets. quick course ot tablets will do it. the only danger with them is the dogs keeps licking it and stops it healing,the dog can also develop a compulseve habit of licking the lump and it gets worse and worse.
    in fact my old springers is back,so he's back to the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

As above straight to the vet with him and dont give him anything to eat before hand in case they need to lance or remove it. As said it could range from a interdigital cyst, and abcess where he got poked by something and it has gotten infected or a grass seed or something more. Most people are afraid to bring their dogs to the vet over things in case they hear something they dont want to, but nine imes outta ten its simple and straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

folks thanks for the replies.brought him to the vet first thing this a.m. vet said it was a growth and will take it off today.asked if maybe it was cancerous, said he couldnt be sure.anyways hope he's ok when i collect him later. cheers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

ring your vets and ask if it can be biopsied. Pardon the spelling. Will cost extra as it would have to be sent to a outside lab but in the long run well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

yeah could be worth doing alright. hopefully a once off growth.

Advertisement