Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTFiction NTL?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

I'm on 20mb broadband
    313663549.png

I also did the heanet download thingy and I'm getting rougly the same results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've seen some terrible speeds on my connection from time to time too, during peak hours. The odd thing is, when that happens, my pings are off the scale (> 400) and my upload is a disaster too, two things that do not seem to be the case from your SpeedTest resuls... Has it been like that for awhile? I'd definitely get on to them if that's the case, otherwise dismiss it as a random fluke (there have been a lot of those since the last batch of upgrades).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

I've been getting this on and off for the past few days even at off-peak hours and for some reason, at peak hours (Evening and night) the wireless USB key they gave me drops connections often

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

I'm in waterford and get on average 15mb down and 1mb up..only once ever saw it go past 15mb

here are the stats

313667239.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

just ran a few tests one after the other and got the following results.

313700683.png

Magnet gives me this :

ping 11ms
    Download Speed: 19071 kbps (2383.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1452 kbps (181.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

downloading from ftp.esat.net gives me over 2 MB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

cow that usb adapter they give ya is crap couldnt get more than 5mb with it, try pickin a server from the netherlands and see what it says, i'm gettin 2.5 mb/s off heanet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm on 20mb broadband
    313663549.png

I also did the heanet download thingy and I'm getting rougly the same results

I'm getting the same on 20mb - very poor speeds to the UK (238kb/s to maidenhead which is beaten by my 3 phone as a modem) and Europe, 2mb to the US. Galway is 10mb. Something badly wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

guil07 wrote: »
    cow that usb adapter they give ya is crap couldnt get more than 5mb with it, try pickin a server from the netherlands and see what it says, i'm gettin 2.5 mb/s off heanet

i got my ntl 20 meg installed on saturday morning and was gettin speeds of 5meg from the sitting room to the attic at peak times with the usb adaptor they give you. the fella that installed our cable told me that the adaptor they give u isnt worth a sh1te. even on the box its the lowest ratings you can get.

im just waiting for my new quad core pc to arrive this week and im switchin to a pci-e card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Plug your laptop/pc directly into the ntl cable modem via ethernet and check your speeds. Wifi can be flaky for high bandwidth at the best of times, and some of the poorer routers can't handle it over ethernet either.

If it's still slow when you're directly connected to the cable modem, ring UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Moriarty wrote: »
    Plug your laptop/pc directly into the ntl cable modem via ethernet and check your speeds. Wifi can be flaky for high bandwidth at the best of times, and some of the poorer routers can't handle it over ethernet either.

If it's still slow when you're directly connected to the cable modem, ring UPC.

I was getting high speeds previously using Wifi but now I'm getting the same low speeds as anyone else also the discrepancy between speeds from the UK / Europe and Ireland seems to point at something in NTL's international connections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ring UPC Cow. If its their adapter they should be able to at least tell you that much and if its the connection, they should repair it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

speeds did improve for a while but back to the usual ****e here in d1. connected straight to the modem and blah,blah,blah. same old,same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Its ****e atm Look at the ping !!!

314763204.png

Advertisement