Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clubs & societies day / open day & yadda yadda

Options
  • 25-08-2008 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm out on work placement for 1st semester of this year, so I'm out of the loop. I need to setup stalls for two societies. Anyone have the dates handy? When will c&s be open so I can pop in. Gotta setup a gaeilge society.

Cheers,
    J.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think C&S are open all year, but I could be wrong. Iv seen them around anyway. As for dates, I have no idea. Im curious, what are the numbers like for the Sinn Fein society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ógra has 7 members, but we didn't have an open day last year and were too busy with the Lisbon campaign to anything within Ógra itself. I'd imagine numbers will be decent this semester as we're going to be there on the open day. Nobody knew we existed :)

The Gaeilge society is going to be seperate. I'm trying to keep politics out of the language. While I'm a Republican, I want to make the language available for everyone, regardless of politics. It's better that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What about the other partys? I wouldnt have thought SF would have had a strong following.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    What about the other partys? I wouldnt have thought SF would have had a strong following.
    Most left-wing parties tend to be popular within colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Sully
    I wouldnt have thought SF would have had a strong following.
    AdMMM
    Most left-wing parties tend to be popular within colleges

Left wing parties being popular in college, yes.......however far-left parties are a different story:P

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the other parties. I'm sure they have a few. I only met the FF lads once or twice. I wouldn't consider 7 people a strong following, but at the same respect - given the fact that we only started up half-way through the year and didn't have an open day, I would say that's enough. We'll see next semester. There are quite a few Republicans in college.

Tbh Sully, I'm not worried about having a 100 members, of which most are inactive. I'd rather have 10 dedicated core members who are active and are willing to campaign with us. Much more important to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I would join SF soc only 1. im pro-lisbon and 2. I pretty sure im not allowed be in a political org like that

I would join SF soc only 1. im pro-lisbon and 2. I pretty sure im not allowed be in a political org like that

Allowed by whome? You have to consider everything before joining a party, imo.

Not everybody agrees with every single policy in every party. You're welcome to meet up for a chat when the year starts back up again for us to go over policies. The Lisbon Treaty is a very small part of a broader spectrum. Also, the Lisbon Treaty failed and is now done, from a legal standpoint. I would also like to add that SF are not anti-EU, but rather felt we could have a more democratic EU - much like the greater population of Ireland. I'm sure you have your reasons for voting yes, and it wouldn't be very fair for us to dismiss you without listening to you.

If you're interested in our other policies - by all means, drop me a line. We're free to talk anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

You could try emailing the Clubs and Socs office. I have no idea if the email address in the groupwise address book is actually monitored or not though. I don't have the office phone number handy, but I'm sure it's findable...

Edit: Contact details at following link

http://www2.wit.ie/StudentLifeServices/SportRecreation/ContactUs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

It's usually the first (ish) week in october. Clubs and socs is open as they have stuff to do with the summer camp (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I have sent a few emails in with regards setting up the Game Soc, even though the office is open I don't think they are dealing with emails atm, as I think Robin is/was focusing on the sumer camps.

I was speaking to michael in there he said the clubs and socs day would be during the last week of Sep as far as he knew ( 23rd and 24th )

Alright thanks :)

Allowed by whome? You have to consider everything before joining a party, imo.

Im in the Army Reserve. Im pretty sure we're not allowed to be "a member of or subscribe to any political organisation or society whatsoever".

Not 100% certian, must check it out.

Strange. Are you allowed to vote in elections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

yes, but they are asked to vote the way which supports them best, :p a bit of FF like

dlofnep wrote: »
    Strange. Are you allowed to vote in elections?

Yes we can vote alright, in fact if your on a training exercise on polling day you're entitled to get time off to go to your polling station and vote!

Yes we can vote alright, in fact if your on a training exercise on polling day you're entitled to get time off to go to your polling station and vote!

I don't see why you would not be allowed support a party, if you're allowed vote in elections. By voting for them, you're supporting them. What's the stipulation? Are you just not allowed to be an official member of a political organisation?

I suppose its to prevent muntiny. As in, if someones a big FF supporter and suddenly SF form the government, it may be more likely to result in disorder.
    Proberly would have been a more relevant regulation back at the time of Cumman na nGael and FF governments in the 20s/30s.

Regulations sate:
    "A member (Reservist), while called out on permanent service, shall not join or be a member of, or subscribe to, or canvass or collect for any political organisation or society whatsoever."

I'll post it over on the military forum and see, because Im not sure what is ment by "permanent service"

I think they are reffering to the PDF rather then the RDF .

• Advertisement

Na thats from the RDF regulations
    http://www.rdfra.ie/pdf/regulations/R5.pdf

ahh kk

Advertisement