Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest run down old man pub in dublin city center?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved from Beer Wine Spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Not telling, there's only a few of them left. Anyway, you mightn't last long inside one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Kennedys beside Tara st train station. Unisex toilets and all, although if you're straight laced i wouldn't go in at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The Bachelor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Jay D wrote: »
    The Bachelor

Closed afaik, Llyods accross from Connolly stationl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

See here.

dancor wrote: »
    Closed afaik
    I was just about to post that also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nash's Pub near Patrick's Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Madigans North earl st
    There's two pubs on moore st,try there.
    The Hacienda little britain st.
    Cusacks North Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Degsy wrote: »
    There's two pubs on moore st,try there.

Pretty sure they're both gone.

Paddy Power are moving across the street into Trader John's and that ****hole at the Parnell Street end is long gone but no loss there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Collie D wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're both gone.

Paddy Power are moving across the street into Trader John's and that ****hole at the Parnell Street end is long gone but no loss there.

You might be right.That ****hole was great for take-away flagons though,two quid each or something.They'd probably all been hijacked from somewhere.

Madigans North earl st

The Hacienda little britain st.
    I wouldn't think Madigans qualifies - doesn't it do tourists, females and food etc.? :D

I thought The Hacienda was closed? :confused:

(It's on the corner of Little Mary Street and Arran Street East - I'm always confusing Little Britain Street with Little Mary Street also! ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They'd probably all been hijacked from somewhere.

lol Wouldn't surprise me in the least

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

conways on parnell street, was my favourite but it has closed down now

and comiskys (sp?) in broadstone

or the Tap

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Cobblestone in Smithfield is a quality pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

xzanti wrote: »

Closed. It only got recently done up with the development around it (apartments) and was attracting a "younger" crowd than it did. Not sure if it's only shut down temporarily.

Try any of the pubs on Francis St or Meath St, Dublin 8.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

xzanti wrote: »
    As Gav pointed out that's been done up nearly 2years. Spanking new.

Run down pub full of ol'fellas with cheap hooch? Cleary's, under the bridge facing Connoly station. It's like something from a Tom Waits song what with the trains overhead rumbling the remains of the clientel inside. good pub and about e3.85 a pint.
    Or The Maid on Marlborough St. off Nth.Earl (e3.90).
    Joxer Daly's on Dorset St.(e3.80 I'm told). Not that run down but a bit whiffy.
    Cobblestone, madigans, Conways(Run down?! Never. Always a finely kept establishment never cheap either and closed too boot.) Cusacks too! Run down?! How on gods earth is that called run down? The model boats, cases and diving gear alone is spotless and the barmen are always well trimmed out and take pride in that bar and a few others mentioned hardly fit the OPs search. Good old pubs but not exactly run down or packed to the rafters with snuffers and definately not a pint under 4quid.(Cusacks is e4.20 by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I spent many an evening in Cleary's of Amiens Street... always a good pint, apart from a spell when a certain guy had the lease who was referred to as the Sorcerers Apprentice....
    :eek:

Fallons on the Coombe, 4.20 a pint but it tastes like nectar!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

boneless wrote: »
    I spent many an evening in Cleary's of Amiens Street... always a good pint, apart from a spell when a certain guy had the lease who was referred to as the Sorcerers Apprentice....
    :eek:

Fallons on the Coombe, 4.20 a pint but it tastes like nectar!!
    Fallon's is a haunt of mine too but it's not run down nor full of ol'lads.
    Cleary's is a cracker. They used to have a good jazz band on on a Sunday back in late 80's.

I'd forgotten about Cleary's. I used to nip in for a quick pint back in the late 80s when i was early for a train. Great pub then - is it still the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

humberklog wrote: »
    Fallon's is a haunt of mine too but it's not run down nor full of ol'lads.
    Cleary's is a cracker. They used to have a good jazz band on on a Sunday back in late 80's.

I'm 42 and consider myself old :D! I know what you mean though, there is a great mix of ages in Fallons.

I was going to suggest Hartigans on Leeson Street but same thing applies, not as cheap as some places and has a mix of ages. However, there are a core of old guys who are always there. The pint is cracking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the legendary Welcome Inn on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

irishbird wrote: »
    conways on parnell street, was my favourite but it has closed down now

and comiskys (sp?) in broadstone

or the Tap
    +1 on the tap, filthy place but nice pint and atmosphere, perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

latenia wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the legendary Welcome Inn on Parnell St.
    +1 a quality spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

spurious wrote: »
    +1 a quality spot.

++1 Looks like a dump, but it's a top notch boozer. Anyone I've brought in there has loved it.

The Quill down near The Brazen Head was a great example, but it's been sold off now.. without the license.. Offices and a Spar no doubt.

Anyone been into Stoney's on Hill Street? Looks rough as a badger's arse, but has great character..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

The Gravedigger, Glasnevin, near Glasnevin Cemetry

Anyone been into Stoney's on Hill Street? Looks rough as a badger's arse, but has great character..
    It just so happens.............:D

HillStreetStoneysBar.jpg

I wouldn't call that rought looking and seeing that it serves tea, coffee, soup sandwiches it has no place here! :D

While we're on the subject try to get your hands on Dublin Pub Life and Lore by Kevin Kearns (1996). It's a great read but it makes one aware of how characterless pubs and bar staff are nowadays compared to the old days.

(He also wrote Dublin Tenement Life).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Taken a couple of years ago - I think it has a few more smashed windows now.62067.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or The Maid on Marlborough St. off Nth.Earl

isnt that the confession box now?

theres a load of ropey boozers down past aungier street, the swan etc i think.

The metro on parnell street, an old haunt of mine, and the blue lion opposite though I'd imagine thats closed now. Tha halfpenny bridge inn is an ould lads pub but it's well kept. You've a rake of them on dorest street, joxer dalys has been mentioned already. Sean O'Caseys on lower abbey street and the other one on the other corner theres another down there too, eehh starts with a B real small oul lads pub. Theres the celt down that neck of the woods as well. That one on the corner of baggot bridge (wellington/waterloo?)

Bowes on fleet street is pretty oul laddish from what i remember. Neds on Townesend street too. The Boars head on capel street is fairly ripe.

Theres the weird one opposite the old wax museum which used to be called the waxies dargle but is now the bodhran, looks like it was made from plywood, proper ropey shop

and you've the parnell mooney seems as how people mentioned conways.

Advertisement