Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest run down old man pub in dublin city center?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Swan was a pretty nice old pub back when I was in college in Aungier St. Nothing like the nearby Aungier House (or Danger House as we called it). Dirt cheap, pool table, fights guaranteed. Now sadly boarded up.

Here a (slightly off-topic) question. I was walking down Townshend St today and I had a flashback to going to a rockers pub there in the 90s. But no sign of it today - I think it was where the new building with Centra in it is opposite the swimming pool. What the hell was it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

was it a Biker shop? Barnstormers? Was originally on capel street in the early 90s if it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Is that place the Welcome Inn on parnell street safe enough? Ive thought about a few pints in there a few times but wasn't sure about it. In fairness I think I get a bit paranoid about pubs up that end after a bad experience in The Blue Lion nearby a few years ago :P Anyone used to drink in that hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Jaysus, I haven't been in the Welcome in ages! I actually thought it was gone!! That was one "self regulating" shop!! The clientelle were tough as nails but decent!!

And here I am transplanted to Cabra and I forgot to mention Downeys on the New Cabra Road. In the same vein as the Welcome, 3.90 a pint and a lovely one at that!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that place the Welcome Inn on parnell street safe enough? Ive thought about a few pints in there a few times but wasn't sure about it. In fairness I think I get a bit paranoid about pubs up that end after a bad experience in The Blue Lion nearby a few years ago :P Anyone used to drink in that hole!

Yes it's quite safe. There's actually quite a number of alternative arty types based round town who drink there too, plus the obligatory oul' lads of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The welcome inn is more of a students hang out,although nothing like what it was in the 1990's when it was the local for cathal bruagh st college.It would be full 7 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bambi wrote: »
    Theres the celt down that neck of the woods as well.

I've always thought of the Celt as a touristy shop. Only been in it once or twice and that was a few years ago when they first opened but don't think it would be a cheap auld fellas pub. Always seems to be some diddly-aye on and tourists outside whenever I walk by.

Has anybody mentioned Molloy's on Talbot Street? Can't believe I never thought of it, used to be a regular haunt of mine when I worked on that street.

Has the auld fellas bar which is an early house and the lounge then if you like your bit of comfort. Cheap pints, great staff, nice beer. Lot of things going for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I have the roughest,ditryest,smellyest cheapest run down old man pubs for ya,no one can doubt me

3)The Cabra House aka the Oaisis:no windows,a rotten smell of musk,depressing,the stools are nailed to the floor coz of all the fights,drugs,and a very open definace of the smoking ban,see how long you last in here

2)The Cardiff Inn in Finglas:very similar to the Cabra House,but bigger and just as dodgey,good banter in it though

1)Parnell Mooney:do I need to say more,just have a look what does be outside at 2 o clock in the day on a week day and you'll know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    I have the roughest,ditryest,smellyest cheapest run down old man pubs for ya,no one can doubt me

3)The Cabra House

2)The Cardiff Inn in Finglas
    Perhaps no one can doubt you but the thread is about the city centre! ;)

• Advertisement

RaverRo808 wrote: »

2)The Cardiff Inn in Finglas:very similar to the Cabra House,but bigger and just as dodgey,good banter in it though

The cardiff is a right kip,you see people hanging round outside it smoking that look like they've just got out of jail.Inside there's usually screeching matches masquerading as sing-songs and impromptu dancing sets going on too.
    However.Its atualy a really friendly pub inside,you'll allways find people to talk to and engage in a sing along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Morriseys on Cork St, or so I hear. I have a preference old man pubs over hip trendy loud tarty places, myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd forgotten about Cleary's. I used to nip in for a quick pint back in the late 80s when i was early for a train. Great pub then - is it still the same?
    Exactly as you left it! It never even took breath for the obligatory re-paint since smoking ban.

humberklog wrote: »
    Exactly as you left it! It never even took breath for the obligatory re-paint since smoking ban.

There's more than one pub like that.They use the nostalgia factor to avoid shelling out for a paint job.
    What is that terrible smelly kip beside tara st train station?
    The carpets were sqwelching as i walked on them and the walls were hanging off with the mould that was there.Everything in the toilets was green!

How about a Dublin Forum Pub crawl of Dublin shiitholes?
    One drink in each pub and we try not to get stabbed as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

completely unrelated but a few weeks ago down in wexford, i found a pub that does a shot of whiskey for €3 and the mixers were €2.... first time since college that i got bubbled on €30!!

A large gang of strangers all walk into most of the fine establishments mentioned in this thread and "misunderstandings" could ensue. And not the hilarious plot twist type of misunderstandings...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    There's more than one pub like that.They use the nostalgia factor to avoid shelling out for a paint job.
    What is that terrible smelly kip beside tara st train station?
    The carpets were sqwelching as i walked on them and the walls were hanging off with the mould that was there.Everything in the toilets was green!

Kennedy's. Good for a dark winter's afternoon before bracing the elements.
    I think you've cracked a good idea there Degs.
    (By the way that MacS montage is on the other thread now. Bit disappointed how it came out though).

Degsy wrote: »

Haha, sounds like a plan, Degsy. You go in first. We'll be right behind you. We could bring Dragain in as well (see thread in AH). Reckon we'll be safe enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Perhaps no one can doubt you but the thread is about the city centre! ;)

Ah,most of Cabra is between the canals so I think we can say inner city :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I thought The Hacienda was closed? :confused:

(It's on the corner of Little Mary Street and Arran Street East - I'm always confusing Little Britain Street with Little Mary Street also! ;)).

It's called the Market Bar and there is a special knock to get in!

• Advertisement

I thought The Hacienda was closed? :confused:

(It's on the corner of Little Mary Street and Arran Street East - I'm always confusing Little Britain Street with Little Mary Street also! ;)).
    AndyP wrote: »
    It's called the Market Bar and there is a special knock to get in!
    Wasn't it called 'The Market Bar' years ago?

This picture was taken in December last and it was called 'The Hacienda' then! Perhaps it has changed again?

ArranStreetEastHaciendaBar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the strand house at the five lamps, recently renovated but still holds the 'charm'

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

loyatemu wrote: »

Here a (slightly off-topic) question. I was walking down Townshend St today and I had a flashback to going to a rockers pub there in the 90s. But no sign of it today - I think it was where the new building with Centra in it is opposite the swimming pool. What the hell was it called?

I think that bar was called "Fusion". It was a hairy rocker biker type place. Was never in it myself but I knew a guy who played a few gigs in it. He descibed it as "a downmarket Fibbers" :eek: Hmm Nice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

anybody mention the Sackville Lounge?

golum wrote: »
    anybody mention the Sackville Lounge?

Where's that?

off oconnell street near the pro cathedral if memory serves?

Bambi wrote: »
    off oconnell street near the pro cathedral if memory serves?

Oh yeah,across from fusciardi's chipper.I walk by that quite a bit and it always seems normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

not quite city centre granted, but there' a proper old man boozer called Leonards Whiskey Bonder down the keys just at the corner of Watling St-dirt cheap but usually pretty empty, sometimes just the owner in there watching the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not the City as such, but for Old Man boozers, Lockies (O'Loughlins) in Dun Laoghaire takes some beating.

its not rough but it is err, basic. they don't even have a till, there is a cash box behind the bar and the beers are guinness, guinness, Guinness and Heino!

They do cocktails, such as Vodka and Orange, or even (Maybe) a gin and tonic but I'm pretty sure you are out of luck if you are after a slice of lemon!

it is, however, a golfers mecca and a very friendly place to have a pint.

• Advertisement

it is, however, a golfers mecca
    :eek: *yawns*

:D

Advertisement