Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest run down old man pub in dublin city center?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh yeah,across from fusciardi's chipper.I walk by that quite a bit and it always seems normal enough.
    I think you're mixing it up with The Maid (or The Confession box) on Marlborough st. Sackville lounge is on sackvile place. Turn right at Cleary's (walking from bridge)and it's just down about 30m on your right. On the way to Abbraxxes! It has a few ol' lads, it is run down but it is over 4balloons a pint. 2 outta 3 for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

Thanks for all the replys lads,I'll be looking into the sub 4e pint ones anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If price was your main concern rather than shabiness/atmosphere, I see that Cafe Royal on Stephen St have a sandwich board outside advertising €3 pints of Guinness and Bud all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

latenia wrote: »
    If price was your main concern rather than shabiness/atmosphere, I see that Cafe Royal on Stephen St have a sandwich board outside advertising €3 pints of Guinness and Bud all day.
    That's Royale (with cheese :D). They do a €5 Irish Breakfast, incl. tea/coffee + toast.

Not your ornery onager

Can someone help me out here. Where's stephen's street and more to the point (or pint ahem) is the royal. I've an hour to spare later and wanna check out this 3quid a pint millarkee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

humberklog wrote: »
    Can someone help me out here. Where's stephen's street and more to the point (or pint ahem) is the royal. I've an hour to spare later and wanna check out this 3quid a pint millarkee.
    Stephen Street Upper is to the west of South Great Georges Street and between it and Golden Lane. (Dunnes Stores HQ located there).

Stephen Street Lower is at the opposite side of South Great Georges Street and between it and South William Street/Johnson Place.

PS - I've never noticed a Cafe Royal there! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

latenia wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the legendary Welcome Inn on Parnell St.
    ++1 Looks like a dump, but it's a top notch boozer. Anyone I've brought in there has loved it
    spurious wrote: »
    Taken a couple of years ago - I think it has a few more smashed windows now.62067.jpg

I'm convinced that place is closed but I'm open to correction.

Here's a more recent pic.

ParnellStreetWelcomeInn280808.jpg

Yeah I can't figure it out either. I was in the capitol and the hairy lemon yesterday too which is around there. 5 flipping quid for a pint of plain in the hairy lemon?! I need to find this Royale to start making up the losses incurred yesterday. I wonder if it's on Upr. Steph.st. I'll find out soon enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm convinced that place is closed but I'm open to correction.
    My brother drinks there regularly. It's not closed, though I think it has rather erratic opening hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anto McC wrote: »
    Kennedys beside Tara st train station. Unisex toilets and all, although if you're straight laced i wouldn't go in at night.

I never knew that was a gay pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I think that bar was called "Fusion". It was a hairy rocker biker type place. Was never in it myself but I knew a guy who played a few gigs in it. He descibed it as "a downmarket Fibbers" :eek: Hmm Nice ;)

I can only imagine.

Was Fusion not the name of the USIT Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Royale is on the part of Stephen St. that is on the 'other' side of George's St. from the Hairy Lemon.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    That's Royale (with cheese :D). They do a €5 Irish Breakfast, incl. tea/coffee + toast.

Whhhhoh....don't know what to make of that place. Love it/ Fear it.
    2pints (perfectly decent) and a roast beef sambo (simple as 2slices of batch, butter and a heap of beef) 9quid! 9 quid the lot!? It usually closes at 1p.m on a sunday but continued serving today as there was football on (gaa). It usually closes at 7.30p.m the other 6 days. It opens for beers and food at 6a.m. It's run by a bockity old country boy with 'Just for Men' on the barnet and his tinternet bought thai wife with the able assistance of a stunning lithuanian(big hairy mole on the back of her neck but other than thaat: top notch).
    But it's a rum lot. A rum, rum lot inhabiting it. It reminded me of the B+I ferry to Liverpool circa '82. Steely-eyed bitterness mixed with physical wobblyness. Perhaps though at this time of day the ferry would be experiencing a rough crossing for the last half hour. These old seadogs had certainly seen fairer weather.
    The Thai bride is the business, a little atom. Tough but decent. Definately what this place needs. Someone that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks of some suburban Bangkok hovel and can handle our indigenous destitute with one hand tied behind her back. It struck me leaving that this place is directly opposite where The Chinaman used to ply its trade. I was left wondering where the present clietel of The Royal hung around after The Chinaman finally closed its doors(all of 18year ago). I thought better of asking and left the mystery to remain. But here's the new home.

Go to this pub but treat it as one would an angry dog...Show no fear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your review has made me eager to try this place.:)

Your review has made me eager to try this place.:)
    2 pints and a perfectly decent sambo for 9sponds. And it's interesting. You'll love it...bring the missus. And a book of anthrapology. Amd a Lithuanian/english dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2pints (perfectly decent) and a roast beef sambo (simple as 2slices of batch, butter and a heap of beef) 9quid! 9 quid the lot!? It usually closes at 1p.m on a sunday but continued serving today as there was football on (gaa). It usually closes at 7.30p.m the other 6 days. It opens for beers and food at 6a.m. It's run by a bockity old country boy with 'Just for Men' on the barnet and his tinternet bought thai wife with the able assistance of a stunning lithuanian(big hairy mole on the back of her neck but other than thaat: top notch).
    But it's a rum lot. A rum, rum lot inhabiting it. It reminded me of the B+I ferry to Liverpool circa '82. Steely-eyed bitterness mixed with physical wobblyness. Perhaps though at this time of day the ferry would be experiencing a rough crossing for the last half hour. These old seadogs had certainly seen fairer weather.
    The Thai bride is the business, a little atom. Tough but decent. Definately what this place needs. Someone that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks of some suburban Bangkok hovel and can handle our indigenous destitute with one hand tied behind her back. It struck me leaving that this place is directly opposite where The Chinaman used to ply its trade. I was left wondering where the present clietel of The Royal hung around after The Chinaman finally closed its doors(all of 18year ago). I thought better of asking and left the mystery to remain. But here's the new home.

The Old Chinaman! - I was trying to remember the name of that place - they had a fairly lax attitude to people smoking dope in the pub. It was still open in the mid-90s.

Round the corner there was a terrifying looking place called the Napper Tandy, which I never ventured into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Pints of Guinness are €3 on Sunday and Monday nights in Sin E
    FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My brother drinks there regularly. It's not closed, though I think it has rather erratic opening hours.

Aye, defo still open. Was in there myself last week. Don't think he opens on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I walked past this places signboard y'day, remembered this thread and nipped in for a quick one...was left standing at the wee bar for 10 minutes with no sign of staff...getting slightly apprehensive too, eventually was served a pint of carlsberg (not bad either and i don't drink lager)

The description of the regulars is pretty spot on, very odd little place altogether.

Bambi wrote: »
    I walked past this places signboard y'day, remembered this thread and nipped in for a quick one...was left standing at the wee bar for 10 minutes with no sign of staff...getting slightly apprehensive too, eventually was served a pint of carlsberg (not bad either and i don't drink lager)

The description of the regulars is pretty spot on, very odd little place altogether.

I stopped in for one too there yesterday on my travels through.
    The bar woman was working on her own so she was a bit stretched I think. I stayed for just the one...that's about long enough when you're on your own as the regulars creep in a little too close for my liking when I'm not with some friends.
    Still and all...3.50 for a perfectly good pint is always a welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Great post! Looking for a list of proper 'Old Man' style Dublin City pubs.

North Inner City:
    Abbey St:
    Flowing Tide, Lannigans

Marlborough St:
    Briodys, Sean O'Caseys

Sackville Place:
    The Sackville Lounge

Capel St:
    McNeills
    The Boars Head
    Nealons???

Any more to add to the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Wow, old thread!

The Welcome is my favourite pub in Dublin. The barman's a true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

cosmic wrote: »
    Wow, old thread!

The Welcome Inn? I'll second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

The Welcome Inn? I'll second that!

Where abouts is the Welcome Inn?

Going to add the Bachelor Inn as another proper old man boozer.

Is Nealons on Capel St an old man pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

K09 wrote: »

its been done up a bit and isnt as good as it used to be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

loyatemu wrote: »
    Here a (slightly off-topic) question. I was walking down Townshend St today and I had a flashback to going to a rockers pub there in the 90s. But no sign of it today - I think it was where the new building with Centra in it is opposite the swimming pool. What the hell was it called?
    Bambi wrote: »
    was it a Biker shop? Barnstormers? Was originally on capel street in the early 90s if it was
    I think that bar was called "Fusion". It was a hairy rocker biker type place. Was never in it myself but I knew a guy who played a few gigs in it. He descibed it as "a downmarket Fibbers" :eek: Hmm Nice ;)
    Collie D wrote: »
    Was Fusion not the name of the USIT Bar?

Just to throw in my knowledge on this,

"Barnstormers" was the biker bar on Townsend street

It then changed it's name to "The Fusion Bar" - I played many a gig there.

It then got completly renovated and became "Donovan's bar and Grill"

It's now gone completly and replaced by appartments.

I can actually see it's old location from my window:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

K09 wrote: »

It's on Parnell Street, a few doors down from Fibbers. They do great Guinness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Doni Mack

cosmic wrote: »
    Wow, old thread!

Is John still running the show up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the windjammer in the south inner city would be another one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Doni Mack wrote: »
    Is John still running the show up there?

He is indeed.

Great pub altogether.

Looks well and truly like a place where time stopped manys the year back.

Advertisement