Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest run down old man pub in dublin city center?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

humberklog wrote: »
    Whhhhoh....don't know what to make of that place. Love it/ Fear it.
    2pints (perfectly decent) and a roast beef sambo (simple as 2slices of batch, butter and a heap of beef) 9quid! 9 quid the lot!? It usually closes at 1p.m on a sunday but continued serving today as there was football on (gaa). It usually closes at 7.30p.m the other 6 days. It opens for beers and food at 6a.m. It's run by a bockity old country boy with 'Just for Men' on the barnet and his tinternet bought thai wife with the able assistance of a stunning lithuanian(big hairy mole on the back of her neck but other than thaat: top notch).
    But it's a rum lot. A rum, rum lot inhabiting it. It reminded me of the B+I ferry to Liverpool circa '82. Steely-eyed bitterness mixed with physical wobblyness. Perhaps though at this time of day the ferry would be experiencing a rough crossing for the last half hour. These old seadogs had certainly seen fairer weather.
    The Thai bride is the business, a little atom. Tough but decent. Definately what this place needs. Someone that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks of some suburban Bangkok hovel and can handle our indigenous destitute with one hand tied behind her back. It struck me leaving that this place is directly opposite where The Chinaman used to ply its trade. I was left wondering where the present clietel of The Royal hung around after The Chinaman finally closed its doors(all of 18year ago). I thought better of asking and left the mystery to remain. But here's the new home.

Go to this pub but treat it as one would an angry dog...Show no fear.

The "Restaurant Royale" is the closest pub to the Boards.ie offices; was in for the 5 euro breakfast a few times with the boss back when there was just the two of us working.

Rough regulars alright, someone told me they're nearly all homeless lads - it's an early house and it's fairly near that Salvation Army place on Little Longford Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

good thread, brings back some blurry memories
    a few to add to the list:
    the pearse tavern on pearse st, dodgy enough at the best of times.
    dockers on sir john rogersons quay: great little pub with a snug, (but i think may be closed now??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

CuLT wrote: »
    The "Restaurant Royale" is the closest pub to the Boards.ie offices; was in for the 5 euro breakfast a few times with the boss back when there was just the two of us working.

Rough regulars alright, someone told me they're nearly all homeless lads - it's an early house and it's fairly near that Salvation Army place on Little Longford Street.

Ah yes, I've ended up there on a fair few Saturday mornings! Grim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

The Welcome Inn? I'll second that!

Any other good Old Man pubs near the 'Welcome Inn'??

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Anyone remember the biker bar 'Barnstormers' on Townsend St? (aka Brainstormers!) - they were up on Capel Street before that
    The Barn was a good shop, even met the missus there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Phantastic Fox

Dub13 wrote: »
    I never knew that was a gay pub.

Kennedy's? Pretty sure it's not a gay pub... right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Kennedy's? Pretty sure it's not a gay pub... right?

i think it is a gay friendly pub - horrible little kip though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

K09 wrote: »
    Any other good Old Man pubs near the 'Welcome Inn'??

The Metro definitely, I used to call it the mortro because there was some many coffin dodgers in it, Lovely pint of guinnes too. The Shakepseare and The Deers Head/Judges were fairly aul laddish too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the chancery inn on the quays near the 4 courts.kip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

theres a pub near seville place, could be sherif street area. lived there a couple of yrs ago, I remember taking the scenic route and looking for a shop, found one across from a pub with no windows, well steel shutters, but the place was open. walked into the shop and the women there were smoking fags, even the girl behind the deli counter, I didnt go near that part of the city again!

Ive always wanted to go into a pub like that tho, but not sure how real the actual danger would be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Great post! Looking for a list of proper 'Old Man' style Dublin City pubs.

North Inner City:
    Abbey St:
    Flowing Tide, Lannigans

Marlborough St:
    Briodys, Sean O'Caseys

Sackville Place:
    The Sackville Lounge

Capel St:
    McNeills
    The Boars Head
    Nealons???

Any more to add to the list?

Can non-regulars go into any of these places without being stared out of it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

theres a pub near seville place, could be sherif street area. lived there a couple of yrs ago, I remember taking the scenic route and looking for a shop, found one across from a pub with no windows, well steel shutters, but the place was open. walked into the shop and the women there were smoking fags, even the girl behind the deli counter, I didnt go near that part of the city again!

Ive always wanted to go into a pub like that tho, but not sure how real the actual danger would be

noctors?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yes, particularly as most of the pubs K09 mentioned are not cheap, run down or stuffed with old men. Quite the opposite for most.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nealons on Capel street is in no way dodgy or run down by anyone's imagination. I'm on a gay message boards (Gaire) and we had our last big meet in the upstairs of Nealons.:pac:

The Flowing Tide is also not as auld fella as it used to be. The bar downstairs (Neptune) used to have a cool jukebox.

The North East inner city around places like Summerhill and parts of the Liberties around Meath Street/Cork Street is where you get the biggest concentration of these type of pubs. Stoneybatter also has quite a few "auld fella" pubs but there not really all that rough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Sunset House on the Corner of the North Circular road and summerhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

wouldnt describe the boars head as rough at all.lovely pub, staff are sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Yossi90

Does any1 know da name of the pub that used ta be at da end of the east wall road near the point??

remember being in there when i was a kid nd i remeber it was on da corner of a junction so i tink it was at da end of east wall road

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Wharf. Been demolished and rebuilt with apartments above/around. Can't think of the new name though....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Welcome Inn ,Parnell street- Not as friendly as the Hop House across the road but still full of charm. Its decor really is stuck in the 70's,but Its still great though!

The Boars Head,Capel Street- Real Gem of a place. The first time I went in here was by myself while waiting for my boyfriend for over an hour.In some pubs you may feel a bit concious sitting by yourself, but even though I was the only girl in the bar noone took a blind bit of notice of me.

The Red Parrot, Dorset Street- my favourite pub for drinking in. Cheap and Cheerful and the closest you'll get to a country pub in the city centre.

panda100 wrote: »
    Welcome Inn ,Parnell street- Not as friendly as the Hop House across the road but still full of charm. Its decor really is stuck in the 70's,but Its still great though!

Is the Welcome Inn still open? Passed it a month or so ago and looked shut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Kennedy's beside Tara st station is totally dope, but it's been overrun with hipsters lately, beards and skinny jeans all over the place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Is the Welcome Inn still open? Passed it a month or so ago and looked shut.

It's still open. The owner has some select opening hours. Closed on Sundays except on match days (generally), and some evenings he just doesn't feel like opening bless him!

(sound bloke though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

The City Arms on Prussia St is my favourite, quality pint of Guinness for 3.80!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Kennedy's beside Tara st station is totally dope, but it's been overrun with hipsters lately, beards and skinny jeans all over the place :(

Dope? DOPE??? That sounds like feckin' hipster talk, they must be rubbing off on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

bassey wrote: »
    The City Arms on Prussia St is my favourite, quality pint of Guinness for 3.80!

And you can nip across to Tesco to buy the next mornings Fry-Up. Happy days!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's still open. The owner has some select opening hours. Closed on Sundays except on match days (generally), and some evenings he just doesn't feel like opening bless him!

(sound bloke though!)

It's a great pub, and as you said, the owner is sound. A character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

RMD wrote: »
    Dope? DOPE??? That sounds like feckin' hipster talk, they must be rubbing off on ya.

must be :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

esel wrote: »
    The Wharf. Been demolished and rebuilt with apartments above/around. Can't think of the new name though....

The Seabank House. It's not the same now though...

Anyone been to a few old man pubs along Benburb St? Museum Rest and H Matthews across fro Dice Bar look rough. Anyone been there?

And are the Hacienda bar and Welcome Inn open these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the windjammer

Advertisement