Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather and self build!!

• 25-08-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well I started my build this year and was lucky to get the foundations dug and poured when it was dry then got floors in and blocks finished about 4 weeks ago, I got the garage roof latted and felted and was hoping to have it slated and roof done on house by now but the weather put a stop to that.

So now I'm thinking that maybe I should just finish garage and hold off on house until next year, most work on my house is done a few days at a time and in the evenings and weekends so if we get a dry spell I might get the house joists in and get the roof up but I don't want to get that far and then get caught with wet weather and not be able to finish.

If I stop now I might be able to put off drawing the next stage of the mortgage because if I start the roof and have to stop I'll have the mortgage money sitting in my account and be paying more on the repayments over the weather when I can't get anything done.

So anyone see any issues with leaving the house with just block work finished until next February or March?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

I left my house from Jan to April and had no problem but it was only to first floor level, if you have a two storey house with high gables I think that the biggest risk you will have is wind which could knock them. As far as I know rain , snow ,frost etc won't do the blocks any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

tragic to post that in August isn't it ? do all you can to stop the blocks from absolutely soaking . Tarp the tops at least

Don't give up yet!
    September is usually a good dry month, but not always as I found out.

Are you doing the roof yourself or have you roofers lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

yep i'd agree you can get quite a lot done usually in september
    but you'll need a lot of help

to help out with the forecasting

www.meteireann.ie give a three day outlook

TV3 teletext is excellent. five day outlook broken down into provinces

for on the spot weather info look at www.meteireann.ie on the right hand
    side you'll see the rainfall radar....very very useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheers for the replies, I have a few mates that are roofers who will be doing the work but they have other jobs on so not sure they would be able to get it finished in one go i.e. could take 2 months to complete. The gables aren't up so no risk there, I'm a weather watcher so I can read long range charts but at best they will only give a weeks accurate weather. May just wait and see I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

villian we are in the same position only we are renting so are mad to get house finished.. roofers supposedly starting on monday so hopefully de weather holds out for few weeks to at least get roof and windows in.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just a theory but does mortar not deteriorate when left exposed to the elements for extended periods of time?

I might be wrong about this but I always thought that to be the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 budo73

Just a theory but does mortar not deteriorate when left exposed to the elements for extended periods of time?

I might be wrong about this but I always thought that to be the case

Hi

theoretically you are correct, but, you would be talking about a few years before any effects (even miniscule) would become apparent....providing of course that it has been mixed correctly

Advertisement