Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone recommend a sat nav for me please

• 25-08-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I am looking for a sat nav with Ireland, England, Europe & USA maps. Can you recommend one for me please and also a good place to get them.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Magoosh wrote: »
    I am looking for a sat nav with Ireland, England, Europe & USA maps. Can you recommend one for me please and also a good place to get them.

Thanks for your help.

Have a look at www.tomtom.com or http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/ontheroad. This will give you a good look at what is on offer. TomTom Satnavs can be bought from most high street retailers these days . As regards the maps, most packages start off with UK & Ireland down to street level and major roads of Europe only. If you know what country you are particularly interested in, download the map online...similarly with the US.

Stay away from the Aldi low price offers that they have from time to time...the maps are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For Garmin you'd be looking at the Nuvi 270 or 770, both of which have both Europe and Nth America (US & Canada). The 270 is a more basic model and doesn't have Bluetooth or MP3 player so the 770 is a lot more expensive.

Garmin models come with a single region (e.g. UK & Ireland) or the whole of Europe or Europe plus Nth America. If you buy low and want to add on later, you will need to buy the additional maps on an SD card as the units don't ship with much free memory and you could end up paying a lot more than if you had bought the bigger set of maps in the first place, something that obviously won't happen if you buy the 270 or 770.

Again with Garmin, you cannot simply download countries as mentioned in the previous post, you have to buy map packages, see the Garmin cartography website for details..

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Magoosh

Thanks for your help. I have been looking at both Garmin & TOM TOM and i think it is down to either Garmin Nuvi 770 or Tom Tom Go 930. What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll have to check on the review websites like cnet or zdnet to compare two different manufacturers models but word on this forum is that the Navteq maps on Garmin are better for rural parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Magoosh wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. I have been looking at both Garmin & TOM TOM and i think it is down to either Garmin Nuvi 770 or Tom Tom Go 930. What do you think?

I'm a TomTom fan myself, mainly because of the ease of downloading new maps. There is a new function with them now also called Mapshare where you can correct errors on your map (they are inevitable with all maps), share online and receive corrections from others. Using mine mainly up and down the West coast I have no issues with map quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

would like to get in on this. looking for a sat nav that has US and Australia maps as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

look up blackspot.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

would like to get in on this. looking for a sat nav that has US and Australia maps as well.

You will not get a navi unit with all these maps together.
    usa and australisia are seperate areas.
    Best you can do is all europe and then buy or ddowload usa/ australia seperately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

coylemj wrote: »
    Again with Garmin, you cannot simply download countries as mentioned in the previous post, you have to buy map packages, see the Garmin cartography website for details..

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/
    Yes you can download and install all sorts of extra maps that you don't have to pay for. If you want the official Garmin ones though then you will have to pay for it, but there are other maps out there depending on your requirements.

GarminMapSearch and Mapcenter for starters. I've also recently made use of some excellent free routable maps for New Zealand although I've not yet had cause to find any for OZ, lost the link to those right now though. But then again I did have trouble finding any maps with decent coverage of Israel other than just main roads and most of Tel Aviv.

Bit of Googling and trial and error and you can find maps for most places out there.

Advertisement