Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecturing

• 25-08-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have an hounours degree in IT management and currently ten years IT experience at various levels but management for the past five years. I would like to get a part time job in lecturing in DCU when I retire in six years time. Would I be OK as I am or should I start a Masters and PHD in preparation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Regards of your industry experience you should do a Masters. DCU requires employees to have a min of a Masters and should be working towards doing a PhD. Its very hard to get a job in DCU due to cut-backs in education sector.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

Regards of your industry experience you should do a Masters. DCU requires employees to have a min of a Masters and should be working towards doing a PhD. Its very hard to get a job in DCU due to cut-backs in education sector.

Good luck
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any colleges in Dublin I might stand a chance for just part time as I stand without further qualifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

You should try the IT's like DIT or Blanch IT of colleges of Further Education...... Most uni's require both Masters & PhD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

The reality is you would definitely need a PhD and lecturing experience.

DCU, like most universities, is being hit by budget cuts and has very few part-time external people. It looks as if there will be almost none in the future.

Also if you reach retirement age (as your post implies) then it’s a no no based on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

H2G2 wrote: »
    The reality is you would definitely need a PhD and lecturing experience.

DCU, like most universities, is being hit by budget cuts and has very few part-time external people. It looks as if there will be almost none in the future.

Also if you reach retirement age (as your post implies) then it’s a no no based on age.
    Thanks for the reply. In relation to age I will still be only fifty when I retire. I thought there was legislation in place to prevent age discrimination when applying for a job in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

murser wrote: »
    I thought there was legislation in place to prevent age discrimination when applying for a job in any case.

Well I did say IF
    H2G2 wrote: »

Retiring at fifty… sounds good to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

You should consider some of the private colleges, like Griffith or DBS. They quite often require lecturers.

In relation to qualifications yes you will need at least a level 9 qualification. In DIT you will be required to do a post-grad certificate in teaching skills. This would be a contractual requirement as it is part of its quality assurance system. Expect other institutions to be bringing in the same requirement.

Happy hunting.

Advertisement