Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair,Replace or Refund ? - but item discontinued.

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Bought a printer in Argos 10 months ago. It came with 12 month guarantee.
    It has been playing up for a while so took it back.

They never offered to fix it (thankfully as it would have dragged out for ages).

They said i could choose a printer of same value from catalogue. (The printer i returned is discontinued).

I refused this as I wanted to get a replacement from elsewhere.

So they offered me a refund in Argos gift card value.

I had a bit of a row with them saying that I was entitled to a refund in cash and not gift card. But they stood firm and eventually I caved and said I'd accept the gift card.

Should they have given me a cash refund or was I lucky to even get the giftcard - as they could have let their offer at a replacement printer of same value ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Cash refund is usually given if the item broke down within a "reasonable time" which is usually interpreted in the region of 30 days. If your printer, which I presume you used on a fairly regular basis broke down 8 weeks short of its guarantee, you are still entitled to recompense, but, the form of which it takes is at the discretion of the retailer. Now seeing as the product is no longer offered for sale, you are offered store credit, or another printer for the same value. I cannot see how you feel you're entitled to cash, seeing as you had use of the product for 10 months.

Advertisement