Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing Alfa GT to USA...

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Probably moving to the US soon with work and thinking of taking my Alfa GT with me....

Anyone ever done this? Any ideas of cost or problems I'm likely to come up against?

Any help or advice would be appreciated...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Wheel will be wrong side :D

Personally I wouldn't bother as the cost will be prohibitive, probably looking at €1500 to ship it, then you will need the lights adjusted for driving on the right and then when you do get it over there you will find it almost impossible to sell.

If you really want to bring it though I would recommend sourcing a left hand drive model on the continent and bringing that over, will make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭kyote00

post a message over here www.alfabb.com.

well informed crew on there....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd sell the Alfa here and buy something else (nothing against Alfas but am I right in thinking they don't sell them at all in the US?) when you're there for peanuts compared to what you'd pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You will however be the coolest dude in the work car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bringing an Italian car that loves being driven through tight bends and country roads to a country that has none is a sin.

If you really love your GT you will find it a good home here. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Thanks guys... only bought it a month ago so don't really want to sell it already...!! Job just got sprung on me, but they will be paying relocation allowance so might see if it'd be covered!

Is getting the lights done a big job? I remember when kids we used to just put the stickers on the headlights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

You could pick up a 2 door accord coupe or VW GTI or Scirocco once it arrives for small money over there.
    There are plenty of desirable cars for sale over there if you check out www.autos.msn.com.
    Organising import is more than just getting a container, there are issues with getting it registered and if you are going to California they'll probably have emmission regulations that will be a pain to prove compliance with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Stephen wrote: »
    nothing against Alfas but am I right in thinking they don't sell them at all in the US?

They stopped in 1995, but they are back as of this year with the 8C. The Brera & 159 are bing sold there as of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

the best thing to do would be buy a LHD GT on the continent and ship it accross

it will certainly get lots of attention in the states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Disco Stu wrote: »
    Thanks guys... only bought it a month ago so don't really want to sell it already...!! Job just got sprung on me, but they will be paying relocation allowance so might see if it'd be covered!

Is getting the lights done a big job? I remember when kids we used to just put the stickers on the headlights :D

If your company are paying for your relocation then they should have to pay for the loss you will make on the car due to having to sell it. A friend used this argument when he was relocated years back and it worked for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

RHD vehicles aren't usually allowed in the states without official clearance :) . The only instance of it being allowed AFAIK is for postmen that can deliver letters without getting out of the van!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I can see where your comming from but its a bit ludicrous imo.

Firtsly the steering will be on the wrong side.
    Secondly, you'd be better off buying it in Europe as it would be cheaper and at least the steering would be on the right side.
    Thirdly the US has exceptionally stringent safety and emissions laws, and your car having not being sold there by Alfa will need to get special type approval - which will a) bastardise your car beyond repair b) cost an arm and a leg.

Take the hit selling it - and buy yourself something nice while your there - look on the bright side, you'll get an awful lot for your money there you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

In the land of the drive-thru you'll be at a severe disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Mailman wrote: »
    In the land of the drive-thru you'll be at a severe disadvantage.
    LOL, best argument yet. I was reading through the thread and didn't even think of that!

Don't do it!

Like everyone else said, you'll get a LOT more for your money here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Basically it's a non runner - It is impossible to import a car to the US legally, without speding a few million on type approval.
    If you try, it'll probably be impounded and destroyed.

It would be impossible to insure even if you got it that far, impossible to register would not pass emissions tests.

Anyway, since cars cost 1/3 of the price, you'd be mad.

You'd probably get a new 911 for the price of the GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Cheers guys... shame I only bought it a month ago...! :o

Advertisement