Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible project

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

right iv had this in the shed for years and think i might try and make a single speed out of it. Never done anything like this before .Would it involve much work
    looking at the frame is it worth the bother?

Frame is fairly rusty and would prefer not to have to respray it -

Any advice would be much appreciated - would it cost much ?
    2797063517_2d018a238a.jpg

2797057185_c7899db8c9.jpg

2797982334_9f02283660.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That's one nice frame there mate!

Not sure about cost, I'd say a couple hundred would get you sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

that's a classy piece of steel you've got there and if you could rescue those brakes too ....

As I've just discovered the wheels are your main area of expense/compromise. I ended up spending about €170 on mine and that was on the cheap(ish) (formula hubset - £55+p&p, Mavic A719 rims - £50 and Dt swiss champion spokes for €40) and doesn't include the cost of the truing stand to build them. Halfords in tallaght had a fixed rear wheel the other day for €40 so it can be done cheaper.

I'll also point out that if you don't want to build your own wheels, the Halo Aerorage is a good set (10/10 in C+) -I've have a set on order at the mo, at just under 200 quid from Chain Reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'll also point out that if you don't want to build your own wheels, the Halo Aerorage is a good set (10/10 in C+) -I've have a set on order at the mo, at just under 200 quid from Chain Reaction

Excuse my slowness but what is C+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A flipping Merician?! Gah! That's the second one in two weeks.. not fair.

That's a seriously cool bike you've got there. If you want to be economical about things, you can re-use the handlebars, brakes and crankset and then you'll only have to buy the wheels.

What's the spacing on the rear dropouts?

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Excuse my slowness but what is C+?

Sorry mate, it's Cycling Plus -a magazine that's pretty good IMO for reviews -I'd trust what they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

cheers guys , ya id hope to salvage as much as i can , its not in bad nick been locked up in a shed for about 10 years, what would be the best thing to do about the rust, as i said would prefer not to have to respray,
    Its not too bad got a bit off with a light sanding but, will it not just rust more and more unless i seal it or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think that Hammerite can be appied directly to rust.

Realistically, you're going to have to paint or spray it to seal off the steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

goods wrote: »
    as i said would prefer not to have to respray

Is that because you don't want to lose the existing paint job or because you don't want to have the hassle of doing the repaint yourself?

bit of both really i like the colour and want to do it as cheap as possible
    but i think i might have to bite the bullet, il see how it looks after a good cleaning

• Advertisement

goods wrote: »
    bit of both really i like the colour and want to do it as cheap as possible
    but i think i might have to bite the bullet, il see how it looks after a good cleaning

You will definitely have to do something about rust if you want the bike to last and be safe.

I did a hammerite repaint recently which worked out pretty cheap. It is easy to apply and you generally don't need to strip the existing paint. Just remove the rust as best you can and get painting. I used clear lacquer over the hammerite and that evened the finish out pretty nicely.

That said, for 90 lids you can get a sandblast and powder coat job done with minimum effort to you and professional looking results.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I know this doesn't fit into the "on the cheap" category but I think mercian do restoration paint jobs - in fact here's the link

http://www.merciancycles.com/renovation.asp

given the value of the frame I would keep it tatty until you could afford to paint it properly

stuf wrote: »
    I know this doesn't fit into the "on the cheap" category but I think mercian do restoration paint jobs - in fact here's the link

http://www.merciancycles.com/renovation.asp

given the value of the frame I would keep it tatty until you could afford to paint it properly

Right at the bottom of that list is "Pot of Mercian touch up paint". That could be the best solution.

ya i was looking at their site alright, think if i do decide to respray that would be the best option, using touch up paint would be grand but with the amount of rust, id say it would look fairly speckled !
    Il strip it down and give it a good clean and see how it looks

Advertisement