Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock 2 - Retarded

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

No, not the game as a whole, I'm really finding it quite wonderful. But there's one thing that I have to fume about. The quick-save quick-load system is insanely fucked up.

So I'm about three hours in, and had been periodically making new saves, but when I was changing some keys around I saw something and went "Oh hey, alt+s is quick save, thats much easier". So off I go playing for another hour, quick saving away as I did in Half Life. Then, because of some stupid physics I got launched out of one of those anti-grav shafts and plummeted through a hole in the floor, fell two stories and died, promptly returning to the front screen. "Oh dear" I think to myself, "oh well, I'll just load the quick sa....where's the quick save?"

See, for some reason they decided that the quick save only works WITHIN THE GAME ENVIRONMENT while you're playing. If you leave, by dying or quiting, the save vanishes.

What?

WHAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

lol.

I've never played system shock 2. Is it still playable then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The game owned you Zillah mate. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    lol.

I've never played system shock 2. Is it still playable then?
    Begone heathen! :P

~Its a fantastic game. Definatly give it a go, while it hasnt aged the best, its still very playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh aside from moments like that its perfectly playable. I was never one for jerking off to super bloom effects and fancy pixel shaders. Its a brilliant game, just has the worst save system I can imagine.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

/brandishes pitchfork

Careful now. That cow be sacred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Zillah wrote: »
    just has the worst save system I can imagine.

Have you played Dead Rising on the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Only briefly, but yes I've read about it, that was also a very odd save system. At least you're aware of it though, with System Shock its like a trap they lure you into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Have you played Dead Rising on the 360?

Theres nothing wrong with DR's saving, playing through it again now and a traditional save system would remove alot of the urgency.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with DR's saving, playing through it again now and a traditional save system would remove alot of the urgency.

At least 4 7 people disagree with you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Maximilian wrote: »
    At least 4 people disagree with you :pac:

Pfft, its not a popularity contest. I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I agree that DR's saving is perfect once your aware of it and use it. There is no shortage of save points strategically located in the mall. Just pop in while passing by and your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

djkeogh wrote: »
    I agree that DR's saving is perfect once your aware of it and use it. There is no shortage of save points strategically located in the mall. Just pop in while passing by and your grand.

Perfect is a strong word :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

djkeogh wrote: »
    One of the reasons I hated that game was the save feature, also the controls for firearm weapons were awful :S

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Back to SS2, I am also playing through it and I must have wasted 5 hours at this stage by not saving hitting a new aera playing around a bit then dying without finding a replicator thingie. My faut, not the games, but a reliable quick-save/load would be quite nice.

Advertisement