Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for a website???

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has asked me to build him a website, i do have the know how through college but ive never done and charged for it before...

it would be 5 pages on the site with pictures etc etc...

Just wondering what would the industry going rate be???

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

maybe just offer to do it for 100 quid. You say he is a mate so you'd be doing him a favour, plus you'd be getting the expereince. It's probably a bit early to be talking about industry rates. In a few years, when you've established yourself and have built up a portfolio, then you make the bucks.

just my opinion, hope you're not offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

KStaford wrote: »
    maybe just offer to do it for 100 quid. You say he is a mate so you'd be doing him a favour, plus you'd be getting the expereince. It's probably a bit early to be talking about industry rates. In a few years, when you've established yourself and have built up a portfolio, then you make the bucks.

just my opinion, hope you're not offended
    And a fair opinion it is. OP, I suggest you go over to Tech>Web>Web Development & Design and search the forum, these threads are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't even recommend starting another one to be honest, they aren't very well met these days with the number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

lol sure why wud i be offendid im new at websites for actual use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

urgh..what is it with mates and building a website for them?
    Must have been asked about 20 times by my mates/ their moms/their dads/their bartenders..and all trying to do it on the cheap..
    I just tell them off to fvck off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Computers & Technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

In industry rate is would probably start at minimum €1000 and go up from there. All depends on what you're paying for.

You're not yet at industry level, so I would charge apropriately. Not so little that you're wasting your time and not so much that you're ripping him off.

Here's what I'd recommend for a student:
    Decide and hourly rate. (pick a rate that is better than a normal student job, maybe 20 an hour)
    Estimate how many hours it will take. (Add a few extra hours more than you think it'll take)

Multiply the two, and charge him that. Make sure to do that before you do any work, and make sure you have an overview of the project and charge more if it goes over that. Make him pay for the domain & hosting seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If a friend asked me to make a website for him, I'd do it for free. Or perhaps he could treat me to a nice meal and a few drinks. But certainly I would not be looking to make any money off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    A friend of mine has asked me to build him a website, i do have the know how through college but ive never done and charged for it before...

it would be 5 pages on the site with pictures etc etc...

Just wondering what would the industry going rate be???

Thanks in advance...

I charge a packet of peanuts but seeing that your an expert. I suggest looking at the market rate of 1 million see lotto.ie. Divide that by the number of pages on that site and x 5.

So Id say roughly you should charge 50,000 euro. (you know your worth it)

Anyone else sick of these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Smart arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

philtaylor wrote: »
    I charge a packet of peanuts but seeing that your an expert. I suggest looking at the market rate of 1 million see lotto.ie. Divide that by the number of pages on that site and x 5.

Then feel free to not participate. I moved the thread here so the OP might get a decent response, not for comments like yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

philtaylor wrote: »

No, to be honest I'm more sick of people with your type of attitude on these boards.

If you can't contribute, click the back button :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If a friend asked me to make a website for him, I'd do it for free. Or perhaps he could treat me to a nice meal and a few drinks. But certainly I would not be looking to make any money off him.

Depends - if it's a friend with his/her own small company, then yes - I would do (and have just done) the same. If he works for a company that clearly has the money to spend, then I would charge.

If my friend is a sparks and I need a good few hours worth of his time to fix a problem in my house, I wouldn't expect his time for free.
    p wrote: »
    Here's what I'd recommend for a student:
    Decide and hourly rate. (pick a rate that is better than a normal student job, maybe 20 an hour)
    Estimate how many hours it will take. (Add a few extra hours more than you think it'll take)

Multiply the two, and charge him that. Make sure to do that before you do any work, and make sure you have an overview of the project and charge more if it goes over that. Make him pay for the domain & hosting seperately.

I'm going to assume that the OP has an idea about HTML etc, but not much experience in developing a web-site from scratch. A beginner charging by the hour doesn't sound too good a deal for the friend, as he will be paying for the OP to learn and correct mistakes that someone with experience probably wouldn't make. It could easily take 30 hours for the site to be done which would total €600, and I think that's too much in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MyClondalkin

If its a mate, and they have any kind of savvy, point them to a piece of software with built in designs, thus help them out, when stuck etc...

Otherwise your friendship may not last a very long time, as I foresee pestering phone calls at all hours of the day, "how do I do this... how do I change that..." :( very tiring indeed.

For anyone else, if I was asked, its going to take time, maybe 2-3days until the client is happen with the design and initial content, and so based on minimum wage alone, 8 hours a day 230+ vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

eoin_s wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that the OP has an idea about HTML etc, but not much experience in developing a web-site from scratch. A beginner charging by the hour doesn't sound too good a deal for the friend, as he will be paying for the OP to learn and correct mistakes that someone with experience probably wouldn't make. It could easily take 30 hours for the site to be done which would total €600, and I think that's too much in this case.
    I wouldn't suggest the person actually bill by the hour, but would suggest they work out how long it's going to take them as a rough guide to pricing.

Advertisement