Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed on turbo trainer

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

With the winter coming in i'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer.

Price wise looking to spend around 150 --would i get something decent for that price. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Diarmuid wrote: »

Thanks for that Diarmuid, my mind is made up turbo trainer it is. I'm from Waterford city so not much options on bike shops but i'll look in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Slightly off topic but should there be little bits of my tyre sprayed out behind my bike after a session on the turbo trainer or is it a case that I may have just set it up wrong. It a Tacx Satori

Used it a bit last winter but haven't been out on the bike all summer due to other committments but hope to get back on it over the winter and plan on using the turbo a couple of nights a week hopefully.

Should I get a spare tyre for turbo sessions or is it just set up wrong?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Save your old tyres and use them on an old wheel.

Some turbos will do alot of damage to the tyre (melting the rubber) some will do only a little. Save those tyres that have punctured once too many and use them. Don't waste your money on a turbo specific tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

tunney wrote: »
    Save your old tyres and use them on an old wheel.

Some turbos will do alot of damage to the tyre (melting the rubber) some will do only a little. Save those tyres that have punctured once too many and use them. Don't waste your money on a turbo specific tyre.

To save you money over time as tyres can be exspensive, theres a turbo tyre you can get that is made especially for turbo training, tacx do them and also Continental, will save u hassle & money changing your road tyre all the time

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...7042&UberCat=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep need a new one myself got an old tacx fan one but think i'll get a new one but have no idea what to get most of these seem out of stock
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=309
    but do like the look pof the Gist ones ( but out of stock)

mind you thinking about the cycleops one as well

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Trainers/

decisions decisions

just found this doc on cycleops website might help

http://www.saris.com/comparison/trainers.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I used the turbo for the first time about 3 weeks ago and kinda, maybe, sorta set the kitchen on fire. I was picking bits of rubber out of the fruit bowl for a week. I live with a fireman and his mortal fear is that some day I do some real damage and have to call the fire brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

A bit off topic but how noisey are turbo trainers?Noisey enough to wake up flatmates at 7am?

probably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They are loud alright. I know that Altitude in Waterford do Tacx ones, I also got a Tacx ordered in for a good price a few years back from Spokes. Worldwide Cycles do have a nice cheap one called a Minoura Mag500 or something like that. I used that for a while before I go my Imagic. Its well within your budget and one of the worldwide lads used it all winter a couple of years ago to train for the RAS (in which he won the B cat), so its a decent machine, he recommended it to me and I was very happy with it. (until my gadget loving ways overcame me and I had to get the fancy Imagic)

• Advertisement

probably yes.

Mine is silent.

Get a fluid one with foam on the roller - like the Elite ones. Saves the tyres and reduces noise.

Mine is silent.
    :P

I have way too many things above silence on my priority list. I thought I would jsut about be back in the black this month before Mr HM decided he fancied doing a leg of a triple ironman relay!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    They are loud alright. I know that Altitude in Waterford do Tacx ones, I also got a Tacx ordered in for a good price a few years back from Spokes. Worldwide Cycles do have a nice cheap one called a Minoura Mag500 or something like that. I used that for a while before I go my Imagic. Its well within your budget and one of the worldwide lads used it all winter a couple of years ago to train for the RAS (in which he won the B cat), so its a decent machine, he recommended it to me and I was very happy with it. (until my gadget loving ways overcame me and I had to get the fancy Imagic)

I went down to altitude this morning and had a chat with Eamon down there.So i purchased a Tacx, i'll give it ago and see what happens. I'm just getting back in to the swing of things.I snapped 2 ligaments in my knee this time last year so just trying to build the strength back up slowly.

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Mine is silent.

Only problem when its silent, you can hear yourself breathing HEAVY :D:D

the tacx sirius is also a silent turbo, and a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

Mine is silent.

Get a fluid one with foam on the roller - like the Elite ones. Saves the tyres and reduces noise.

Cool,what is it's name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

henboy wrote: »
    With the winter coming in i'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer.

Price wise looking to spend around 150 --would i get something decent for that price. Thanks:)

Hi,

If you are interested I can sell you an unused Minoura for 150. I think it cost 250 new last year, I got off someone as a present but have one already.
    Anyway, if you want to know more, let me know.
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

For what it's worth, wiggle have 20% off trainers all september.
    might get one.
    Can anyone give advice on rollers vs trainers?

AFAIK, no resistance on rollers but they really make you work to perfect your pedal stroke. Turbos have variable resistance and the back wheel is fixed so more less balance needed.

AFAIK, no resistance on rollers but they really make you work to perfect your pedal stroke. Turbos have variable resistance and the back wheel is fixed so more less balance needed.

You can get rollers with resistance but they are very very pricey.

Will you stop telling me about expensive stuff I need. You're about to bankrupt us with power meters, silent turbos and resistive rollers:D..... Do you not know it costs about €5000 to stage a channel swim not to mention travel to a NAS ironman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

Will you stop telling me about expensive stuff I need. You're about to bankrupt us with power meters, silent turbos and resistive rollers:D..... Do you not know it costs about €5000 to stage a channel swim not to mention travel to a NAS ironman!
    I know a guy doing the channel this week, weather dependent. When are you up?

Oh, gawd no, I'm not that stupid. The guy you know is probably mr hunnymonster. I'll be throwing bottles of sugary stuff at him from a safe distance! Only way I'll ever do the channel is as part of Arch to Arc. Nothing would make me swim in cold water without my wettie.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

henboy wrote: »
    I went down to altitude this morning and had a chat with Eamon down there.So i purchased a Tacx, i'll give it ago and see what happens. I'm just getting back in to the swing of things.I snapped 2 ligaments in my knee this time last year so just trying to build the strength back up slowly.

Wish me luck!

So????
    How are you finding the Turbo Trainer???
    I stuck the head out the door this morning. Very windy and showery. Needless to say, i did nothing. Decided there and then that i need a trainer.
    Was thinking of this :-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Sirius_Soft_Gel_Folding_Magnetic_T1435_Trainer/5360020040/
    Any opinions, i see one person has mentioned it already

Advertisement