Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls first bike?

• 26-08-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

im a 20 year old girl, never had a vehicle but am aiming to get a motorbike in the near future. I was advised on the keeway superlight 125 as its not too powerful and nice and light so i could handle it better. has anyone ever road tested this bike and what do they think? or can anyone help and advise me on what to get cos im completely useless!?
    thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No idea on the keeway, but my wife's bike is a DR200 - small, light, very easy to handle...........and a hoot to throw around when you're experienced.

Other choices, a friend of ours recently graduated from a GN250??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

Honestly from what i've heard from people on here and other forums avoid keeways as they are not very reliable. The likes of a yamaha ybr 125 would be light and nippy enough.Hope this helps.Let us know what you end up buying.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My GF will be getting a Honda Hornet 250cc as a first bike and I think it's a perfect starter bike for women so I do! ;)

You would probably be better off sticking to one of the big manufacturers like Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki or Kawasaki. Take a look at their 125/250cc cruisers. They look good, they are pretty reliable and don't cost a fortune to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

May I suggest the new Honda Fireblade, seems nice:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you want a bike or would a stepthru suit?
    I only ask because the Honda ANF125i Innova is a modern version of the Honda Cub 50-70-90cc
    It gets somewhere around 110-150 MPG and would be fine for a beginner as it is manual shift but no clutch 4 speed and will do 100kmh when necessary.
    It also has big wheels like a bike rather than those little fat donuts that most small scooters have.
    Just a thought...

Niall06 wrote: »
    May I suggest the new Honda Fireblade, seems nice:o
    Slightly suicidal though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Go sit on bikes in Bikeworld (don't buy one there) until you're fed up sitting on bikes and you'll find one you're comfortable on. No point buying a 'good' or 'recommended' bike that you're not happy with yourself!

A lot of girls (and guys!) opt for cruiser type bikes when starting out as they are low-slung so you can always get your feet to the ground easily. Not my cup of tea but lots of peeps like these bikes and there's nowt wrong with 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Ash-209 wrote: »
    im a 20 year old girl, never had a vehicle but am aiming to get a motorbike in the near future. I was advised on the keeway superlight 125 as its not too powerful and nice and light so i could handle it better. has anyone ever road tested this bike and what do they think? or can anyone help and advise me on what to get cos im completely useless!?
    thanks! :D

The Irish magazine has a report on this.
    You will always have a choice between going with the old reliable, but costly, manufacurers, mostly japanese, or trying something new. If the difference is enough then go for it.
    I rememberagonising over one of the new Japanese bikes, when all the experts told me they could not be as good as the known British makes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ash-209

murphaph wrote: »
    A lot of girls (and guys!) opt for cruiser type bikes when starting out as they are low-slung so you can always get your feet to the ground easily. Not my cup of tea but lots of peeps like these bikes and there's nowt wrong with 'em.

i wanted to go for a cruiser as im a bit short and like the idea of easily getting my feet to the ground easily! always feel uneasy even on other peoples bikes when its a bit high!

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I only ask because the Honda ANF125i Innova is a modern version of the Honda Cub 50-70-90cc
    It gets somewhere around 110-150 MPG and would be fine for a beginner as it is manual shift but no clutch 4 speed and will do 100kmh when necessary.
    It also has big wheels like a bike rather than those little fat donuts that most small scooters have.
    Just a thought...

definitley going for a bike as im sharing it with my dad for a while when i first get it, so he wants me to get a 125 bike, but i get to choose which one, which is harder than i thought! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If your looking for a cruiser, dont bother getting a 125 as they tend to be very underpowered. The 250s are great, I had a 250 dragstar for a few years. Never once missed a beat and never gave me any issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fortunatley there are no such things as girlie bikes etc in the same way there are girlie cars. I would recommend what has been said already. Sit on and test drive some of the bikes in Bikeworld and decide from there.

A girl i know got a Honda bros as her first bike and she loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The first thing you should do is get some lessons to get an idea of what it's like to drive a bike.
    As for buying one - def go and sit on some bikes and see what you style you like and what fits you best. I'm pretty short at 5'1 and find cruisers suit me best - I have a Shadow 600 and i find it pefect. If you're in Dublin JP Motorcycles in Pearse street is the place to go cruiser shopping - they have all shapes and sizes. I would def forget the 125 - you'll get tired of it and if you want to go on and do the test you'll need a 250 (unless you want a crappy A1 licence). Also the extra power in the 250 will come in handy if you get into any tricky situations - your dad might think the 125 is safer for you but you'll be glad of the extra power when some tool in a car is trying to bully you cos you're a girl on a bike! My dad won't even sit on my bike in case it makes him want to re-live his youth and get one :D

good advice, thank you!! now i just need to convince my dad he can trust me with a 250!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if he doesnt, Ive got a cbr125r that might be up your alley :)

just found two pics on the PC of my wife's bike - it's so good I've been using it a lot for the commute. Does about a squillion miles per gallon, too, which is a good thing !

From her perspective, this why she likes it: Very easy to handle (wide handlebars, tall wheels), mild mannered (compared to two-stroke), and good suspension (for crap roads........and city roads too, as I've noticed...). Narrow seat means easy to reach ground (she's not tall....). Riding position means easy for observation - traffic, junctions, even over walls/ditches - this is an issue for her on my RGV.

No-brainer to maintain, and very simple (one sparkplug, air-cooled).

DR200_1.JPG

DR200_2.JPG

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You should hide that number plate galwaytt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Reminds me of my old VanVan!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Charlie 22

Sorry Galwaytt what is the name of that bike it looks like an ideal starter for me?

• Advertisement

Suzuki DR200.

This particular one is a New Zealand spec one, hence the 'sheep shagging' carriers LOL :D but it's as handy as a fish on a bike. Front carriers should be mandatory !!

Being an NZ spec, it's slightly lower geared (for off-road use..) and things like the indicators etc can't breakd if you drop the bike (dead handy !).

Also has.........hazard indicators.........for when you're moving the herd down the road, I guess !!

Bought it in the UK.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That DR200 reminds me very much of a much older design the TF 125, also suzuki and an agricultural bike.
    Great machines and very reliable.

Fwiw, herself now wants to change to a bigger bike, so the DR is up for sale. You can see it HERE

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey,
    Just want to take advantage of this thread, I want to buy my first bike too and one person recommended a Honda 125 and another a Honda 500. I rode a Honda 125 and it was fine but dont want to get bored after I have got the hand of it in a few months. I'm 5ft 10 so not looking for a short bike. how much should I be expecting to pay secondhand? Dont know anyone to bring along so dont want to be ripped off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

How tall is the OP anyways?

My first bike w/ gears and a clutch was a vanvan which i loved (125) and my brother is now riding. My current one is a cbf250 which im just about tall enough for (i'm five four). The bigger bike makes a huge difference on proper roads, of course the giant tyres of hte vanvan made it perfect for the stupid road surfaces you find in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Ash-209 wrote: »
    i wanted to go for a cruiser as im a bit short and like the idea of easily getting my feet to the ground easily! always feel uneasy even on other peoples bikes when its a bit high!

hi ya, if height is a worry then i would recommend a Honda Rebel 250, i am 5 ft nothing and can handle it fine, you also have to take into account the weight of the bike, the width of the seat, try a few out, make sure u can hold the weight of the bike with one foot on the ground , u won't always be using two feet, ur right foot will be covering back brake at times.....

Happy hunting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Just a thought...

Agree a million percent with ya.

Cos I own one and love it to bits.

Advertisement