Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I drive car without insurance after buy it?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    Ill consider to buy a car but its about 2 hours way to the place where Ill live so can i drive this car to my city without insurance? What if garda catch me (is it enough when Ill show them that I bought this car few hours ago) or do i need to buy insurance for one day or something (how much does it cost)?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Under no circumstances.

Ring your insurance company and sort out insurance for the day you move the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

no

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

But im not sure that Ill buy this car beside this i want to see car in sunday (so i think insurance company are off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No you cant, under no circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you have insurance on a vehicle at the moment you should be able to transfer your insurance onto the car your are buying for the day etc. It is illegal to drive without insurance and can have serious consequences in the case of a crash etc. For the sake of a few euro do it proparly.

• Advertisement

devil-80 wrote: »
    But im not sure that Ill buy this car beside this i want to see car in sunday (so i think insurance company are off)

You'll have to wait until monday then.

Ok.Ill do it.Im only asking. It will be my first car ( so i dont have insurance at this moment) and I didn't have a clue about it.Thanks for help.

Ok.Ill do it.Im only asking. It will be my first car ( so i dont have insurance at this moment) and I didn't have a clue about it.Thanks for help.

If it's your first car, try get someone who has open insurance, or who can transfer there insurance to drive it down for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If it's your first car, try get someone who has open insurance, or who can transfer there insurance to drive it down for you.

Beat me to it....was about to say the same thing!

Bryn wrote: »
    Beat me to it....was about to say the same thing!

Ha! It's normally the other way around for me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It will be my first car ( so i dont have insurance at this moment)

Here's how you can still view it, test drive it and even buy it on a Sunday and drive it back home. Get someone to give you a lift over there. Bring another person who owns a car and who is willing to transfer his / her insurance for the day onto the car you might buy.

This third person would have to do all the test driving and driving it home for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Never drive without insurance,

what I did in your place, I paid the deposit of the car, 50 euros etc,

take the car details, insured the car in my name and same day went to collect the car and paid it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Dude! Are you well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

egan007 wrote: »
    Dude! Are you well?
    calm down , he didn't do anything wrong... he only came and asked what is the correct way to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

unkel wrote: »
    Bring another person who owns a car and who is willing to transfer his / her insurance for the day onto the car you might buy.

This third person would have to do all the test driving and driving it home for you.

???

Does that mean that anyone buying their first car cannot legally test drive it? Does the garages insurance not cover the car as long as the person has a drivers licence or do you need to already be insured on another car?

Surely, you don't need to have insurance on that particular car to take it for a test drive, do you??

Dools2007 wrote: »
    ???

Does that mean that anyone buying their first car cannot legally test drive it? Does the garages insurance not cover the car as long as the person has a drivers licence or do you need to already be insured on another car?

Surely, you don't need to have insurance on that particular car to take it for a test drive, do you??

I'm guessing he is buying private as he says he is going up on a Sunday. Don't know of much garages that open of a Sunday. Also if someone had never driven a car before and came to me to drive one of mine, i wouldn't be the happiest man to leave the car go out. Car dealers aren't driving instuctors.

As for a private sale, yes they can test drive it, as long as they have an open insurance policy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dools2007 wrote: »

My insurance lets me drive any car I don't own (once I have the owner's consent), with 3rd party cover. So I can test drive another car without taking insurance out on the particular car.

As soon as I buy it, I own it - so I'd have to be insured directly on it then, in order to take it home.

Yes Its private sale and without insurance i cant take it for test drive so there is no sense for me (before Ill buy car i need to buy insurance but if I won't buy car ??I loose money for insurance).

Yes Its private sale and without insurance i cant take it for test drive so there is no sense for me (before Ill buy car i need to buy insurance but if I won't buy car ??I loose money for insurance).

No what you do is get someone who has open drive to test drive it for you. Other than that all you can do is take out your own policy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Test drive a similar car in a garage....their insurance will cover you, but for a private sale you must have your own insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can arrange your own insurance before the test drive on the car. But if it's your 1st car make sure and bring someone who knows cars and if you are on a learners permit or provsional you need a fully licenced driver.

If you don't like the car you can cancel the policy within the 7 days cooling off period. Don't tell insurance company you haven't bought the car yet as technically you can't insure someone else's car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Of course you can provided that you don't take it outside your gate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

That system just seems so broken...

Over here the insurance policy is between the insurance company, the car and the owner. The driver doesn't matter. So as long as you have a licence, and you get permission from the owner, you're insured to drive whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Balfa wrote: »

Over here the insurance policy is between the insurance company, the car and the owner. The driver doesn't matter. So as long as you have a licence, and you get permission from the owner, you're insured to drive whatever you like.

Just to clarify...Balfa's in the US (where the law differs from state to state AFAIK)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Balfa wrote: »

yeah yeah
    In south africa the insurance is patyed in the fill up of petrol
    so what
    the guy is Ireland and can come cropper lose 6 points posibly get a big fine possibly go to jail and thats if a gaurda stops him and requests the paper work

If he crashes car and seriously injures somebody he could have the costs deducted from his pay cheugue for the rest of his life

Cheaper to call a car towwing company and get a fixed price to pick it up and load it onto their truck and bring it to the house where he lives
    probably cost ~200 to ~2000 euros depending on companies

But costs are fixed and no points no jail terms and no hidden extra

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

you can drive if it under the seller's policy if they have open drive* - if they do have open drive they won't actually be able to change that till monday anyway - but you will need to ask them first

if you do have insurance - which you don't - you can usually drive any car you don't own - obviously this situation changes as soon as you buy it and you would need to either tell your insurer, get someone else to drive it home, or the above

* open drive has its own conditions - usually a full licence and 25 years old or older

I have full drive licence about 10years.Its my firs car in Ireland.
    Ill aska how it looks if I cancel policy(because i didnt buy a car) i loose deposit (I dont know how much it is).I know one person with open policy but problem that I need find another person which give us lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have full drive licence about 10years.Its my firs car in Ireland.
    Ill aska how it looks if I cancel policy(because i didnt buy a car) i loose deposit (I dont know how much it is).I know one person with open policy but problem that I need find another person which give us lift.

It shouldn't cost to cancel the policy. Under distance selling, do it over the phone or net, you have a 7 day cooling off period. You don't have to give a reason to cancel even if they ask. But if they do, and you feel the need to answer, say you got a better quote. Don't tell them you're only looking to buy the car, a few little lies but you'll have insurance if you buy it and won't cost you if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

To help you appreciate the situation better, you should understand that the purpose of insurance isn't so you won't get in trouble with the Guards, but that you are financially covered in case you have an accident and either you, your car (with comprehensive insurance), the other party or their car, get's damaged. So you don't have fork out possibly very large amounts of personal money which you possibly don't have.

Although it's a legal requirement and you will get in trouble if the guards catch you. Your primary concern should be, what happens if I have a crash while driving. And sometimes accidents happen.

I know you know not to go without insurance now, but you should appreciate the real reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just as an FYI, I picked up my new car in the UK on a weekend a few months back but my insurance co. was going to be closed at the time, so I called them ahead of time and gave them the date and time I would be picking up the other vehicle and it's reg details etc. and they had everything set up for me to drive the new car ahead of time and the insurance switched over to it at the appropriate time and everything was grand.

they even sent me an updated certificate the next day for the new car to take with me to pick it up in case i was stopped. AXA by the way, in case anyones curious. can't fault them tbh, they've always been great.

Advertisement