Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixie on the road today

Options
  • 26-08-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

just got my money pit fixie on the road this weekend and had my first rides in earnest today:

th_DSCF0815.jpg th_DSCF0817.jpg th_DSCF0818.jpg th_DSCF0820.jpg th_DSCF0821.jpg th_DSCF0822.jpg

just getting used to the ride today but had a hairy moment at the custom house at lunchtime. Was gunning along and suddenly the instinctive part of brains said "freewheel" - before I knew it it my right foot was out of the toe clip and I was speeding like a one footed mentalist down the road with my left leg going like crazy on the pedal - luckily I managed to recover the situation without any tarmac being kissed.

Gory details:
    • 23" Dunelt 531 frame
    • formula fixed/free hubs 36h
    • Mavic A719 rims
    • DT Champion Spokes
    • San Marco Rolls saddle
    • M-ighty 44t crankset
    • Miche track sprocket 18h
    • Ambrosio bars

Although I didn't reach a zen-like state of oneness with my bike today (that I noticed) I did have a big silly grin on my face for much of the day - is that the same thing?

I also managed to cycle the 2 miles home without hitting a red light - was blissful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bar tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

when I sort out brake position the bar tape will be on it - it's waiting in the wings...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nice bike stuf. I'd stick on bar tape (and consider a second lever, even if a dummy- simply for the hand position) Your current lever is pointing up a fair bit more than normal BTW, I'd put it further down the drop. Personally I would find straps very hairy for use around town- I use combination SPDs/flats myself which give the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Ah, I see you are still working on lever and bar tape. Generally regarding the lever the flat bit of it should be flat with the ground, so that it forms a sort of continuation of the handlebar.

handlebar position has been changed a bit since the pics were taken - flatter on the top which gives me better support. Still deciding on the drop brakes or a cyclox/bmx trigger on the flat - I think the latter's going to win but competition is still open.

for the moment I'm more comfortable with the clips for the fixie - makes more sense in my head. Got spds on the other bike and again the jury's still out on that matter - as the commentator said "I can see pros and cons for and against"

It's all a big adventure really - now I just need to develop dreads and a snear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Bice nicycle, stuf. I really like it! The colour of the frame is cool and I love the massive tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Nice job.

cheers fish-head - I think I might move down to 28mm tyres - they're scary big those ones and they really fill the chain stays. But the tan wall for the retro look is definitely a permanent feature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Very very very nice bike.

Zen:D

Advertisement