Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what do you want to do?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

so we're only starting 6th year but already im being asked about my courses im putting on my cao.:eek:
    i havent got a clue what i want to do and just want to see if im the only one floundering in uncertainty.

so do you know your course you want to get or even your career you wish to pursue or are you compleatly unsure?

oh and weve to have them sent in in 7 months.oh lord!
    and to thoose you have already done 6th year did you know at the start of the year or did you just find something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'll be 23 in 2 months and I'm only just figuring it out now.. Don't panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh thank god! I have no idea what I want to do with my life but all my friends do, it's pretty scary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Knowing what you want to do has advantages is all:

1. Focuses you for your aim. If you know you want to do Law/Medicine/High Points Course Here, then you know you need to work hard to get high points etc. No use realising that your life ambition is to be a doctor a week before the exams and you've done nothing.

2. Matriculation! Of course, it's a bit late if you're already in 6th year, but... well, I had a friend who got 7 A1s, but had to repeat because she didn't have a subject that was required for the course she wanted. So if there's any chance of you doing science in college... you'd want to have a science subject or two in your LC.

Obviously not everyone is going to know, or have an idea, but it's certainly a good idea to start thinking about it. As it gets later in the year you'll have less time to devote to perusing different career choices and researching college courses, because you'll be studying etc./orals/practicals/all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

If you dont know what you want to do, then pick something that you know w=you have an interest in, because at the very least, if you know you like it, then you know you will put the effort in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

so we're only starting 6th year but already im being asked about my courses im putting on my cao.:eek:
    i havent got a clue what i want to do and just want to see if im the only one floundering in uncertainty.

so do you know your course you want to get or even your career you wish to pursue or are you compleatly unsure?

oh and weve to have them sent in in 7 months.oh lord!
    and to thoose you have already done 6th year did you know at the start of the year or did you just find something?

what a nice phrase aisling. floundering in uncertainty..... to be honest i was the same way at the start of 6th year. i hadnt a clue, and hand on my heart here i still havent a clue what i should be doing. After me doing the leaving cert and getting college offers.:confused:

does anyone else think that these are too big of decisions for us to make on our own.

ps. Our career guidance was disgraceful........... and im putting it nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

Dave147 wrote: »

+1. if you panic your f**ked. Its the same with the leaving cert. do not worry about it.
    It is only a year and not the end of the world.
    I know its early to be talkin about this but even if the mocks go ****, trust me the actual exams will be a lot better in majority of case.

I failed two subjects in the mocks (miserably 16 and 25 % respectively) but in the leavin i managed to get a c1 in one of them amd sadly an e in the other. but what about. The point im making is that the mocks is the kick in the hole thats needed to make you put the work in.

ps. i got the honour in everything except that miserable E. my points for the six subjects were 445:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dave147 wrote: »

24, final year in college and still haven't a clue. Relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Knew I wanted to do law since 2nd/3rd year but didn't know which course til the open days. Make sure you go to them.. They're a great way to find out what the college is like (Assuming it is like that lol.. Haven't started yet) But bottom line - don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I want to do medicine at the moment, though I'm very fickle so it might very well change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I just want to be the best person I can and fulfill my potential :)

Yes, I'm going for the priesthood ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

I have a rough idea as to what to stick down on the cao, its either Education Psychology, Arts with Psychology or speech and language therapy....but this could all change!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

College and do something in computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I've been through loads of career changes in the past year.

Radiography
    Fashion Design
    Interior Design
    German
    English
    Journalism
    Zoology
    Fine Art
    Archaelogy with Latin
    Psychology
    Psychology and German
    Linguistics
    Speech and Language Therapy
    Photography
    Veterinary
    Medicine

See I've changed my mind that much in the same year!! AHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ours are too - two old planks who just get the piss taken out of them daily, and they deserve it!

Right now I'm going for either Engineering or Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

what a nice phrase aisling. floundering in uncertainty..... to be honest i was the same way at the start of 6th year. i hadnt a clue, and hand on my heart here i still havent a clue what i should be doing. After me doing the leaving cert and getting college offers.:confused:

does anyone else think that these are too big of decisions for us to make on our own.

i think im to young to know what i want to do for the rest of my life now.like i know you change your courses and do different things but i dont want to waste 4 years and then have to do somehting else.and even my mam and dad were trying to help but couldnt think of any career id be good at.ha ill just go on the dole.take the easy way out:pac:

oh my old guidence counceller told me to become a secreatary even though im doing all honors subjects and id hate it!
    rhapsody! wrote: »
    I've been through loads of career changes in the past year.

Radiography
    Fashion Design
    Interior Design
    German
    English
    Journalism
    Zoology
    Fine Art
    Archaelogy with Latin
    Psychology
    Psychology and German
    Linguistics
    Speech and Language Therapy
    Photography
    Veterinary
    Medicine

See I've changed my mind that much in the same year!! AHH!

ah ive considered 9 of your choices.
    god im so indeciseive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

what's your favourite subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

http://www.careerdirections.ie/ has a great test to see what careers you'd be suited to and then what courses you'd have to take to follow that career. I found it very helpful, there are careers out there you never would have thought of but when you see them o the site you think "gosh, I would like that..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

pathway33 wrote: »
    what's your favourite subject?
    emm dont really like any of them anymore but im best at english.
    well kinda like history but not any of the iish stuff and i like irish except for the learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do at the start of 6th Year. I had debated studying Arts, Psychology and Geography before eventually picking Physics.
    Going into 2nd year next month- I'm doing a joint degree in Physics & Mathematics.
    I have absolutely no idea what job I'll get, or even if I want a job with this degree.
    All I know is that I enjoy what I'm doing in college, and that is the most important thing.
    I may very well end up doing something completely different.

Don't start panicking - whatever you go on to do in college does not have to determine what job you'll eventually get. If you don't like your course, you can drop out and do something different the following year. There's plenty of time for ye all to decide what you want in life.

(Oh and make sure you always do the Lotto - if you win, there's no need to worry about jobs! :D:P)

emm dont really like any of them anymore but im best at english.
    well kinda like history but not any of the iish stuff and i like irish except for the learning

you should be a journalist or an english teacher :D

go to www.qualifax.ie and click on 'interest assessment'

it will tell you what course to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Vet med, chemistry, Irish, English, photography, medicine... I dunno D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

I would absolutly love to do P.e teaching in limerick or the new creative writing course in nuig but the points are to high :mad: so im stuck at a crossroads. Im not being pessamistic about not getting the points just realistic.Prob end up doing Arts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

100% sure about what I want to do - Computer Science.

Just gotta make sure I work even though the points are low enough.
    I had a study skills day today which was sort of helpful, tomorrow I'll be back for my actual proper first day. Its funny, this year actually seems to be grand for me since I know I'll be out by the end of it. Gives you a motivation to work since you're actually working towards something.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Beau x1 wrote: »
    100% sure about what I want to do - Computer Science.
    I'm doing CS - got 570 in the LC, my course is 335 points :pac:

Congratulations, off to UCD then I take it! Glad to see that even with such high points you went for what you wanted to do and not medicine, law or the like.

I want to go to UCD for CSci, but I don't do a lab science subject! Arrrgh. Its so frustrating.

Congratulations, off to UCD then I take it! Glad to see that even with such high points you went for what you wanted to do and not medicine, law or the like.

I want to go to UCD for CSci, but I don't do a lab science subject! Arrrgh. Its so frustrating.

you could easily do physics on your own in one year........only prob is proving you did the experiments to the inspector if he calls (5% chance)

you could easily do physics on your own in one year........only prob is proving you did the experiments to the inspector if he calls (5% chance)
    God I'm not going down that route now, that's crazy.. probably going to do the BA CSci in UCD or do the BSc in Maynooth. I'm not sure.

God I'm not going down that route now, that's crazy.. probably going to do the BA CSci in UCD or do the BSc in Maynooth. I'm not sure.

u only need an OD3? is that right?.......if you are doing computer science you must be swarming with brains......easy peasy :D

theres loads doing an extra subject on their own

u only need an OD3? is that right?.......if you are doing computer science you must be swarming with brains......easy peasy :D

theres loads doing an extra subject on their own
    OD3 seems about right, but still I couldn't pull it off. Haha not true unfortunately, I'm not the academic type but I'm great with computers since its something I have such a strong interest in.

I just can't afford to pick it up now really tbh. Just wish my career guidance teacher would have told me about the importance of picking a science for the leaving cert when we were choosing our subjects.

• Advertisement

OD3 seems about right, but still I couldn't pull it off. Haha not true unfortunately, I'm not the academic type but I'm great with computers since its something I have such a strong interest in.

I just can't afford to pick it up now really tbh. Just wish my career guidance teacher would have told me about the importance of picking a science for the leaving cert when we were choosing our subjects.

well if you've got the sort of brain that likes coming up with code for computer programs then physics should be right up your path......i know a guy who is ace at computers but couldnt write an english essay to save his life.....i'd say you are judging your academic ability on weak subjects and not strong ones.....like pass physics would be :D

Advertisement