Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what do you want to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I just can't afford to pick it up now really tbh. Just wish my career guidance teacher would have told me about the importance of picking a science for the leaving cert when we were choosing our subjects.
    That's terrible... I'm not entirely sure what career guidance teachers are meant to do exactly, but flogging the "If there's ANY CHANCE you might want to do ANYTHING science related, PICK A SCIENCE DAMNIT" thing should definitely be up there on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

That's terrible... I'm not entirely sure what career guidance teachers are meant to do exactly, but flogging the "If there's ANY CHANCE you might want to do ANYTHING science related, PICK A SCIENCE DAMNIT" thing should definitely be up there on the list.
    Yeah, tell me about it. Now I have to settle for second best really...its a shame.

Ah well I'll be packing my bags off to Maynooth I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Yeah, tell me about it. Now I have to settle for second best really...its a shame.

Ah well I'll be packing my bags off to Maynooth I guess.

question 5 (h) on this years physics paper for 1.75%

what is the colour of the live wire in an electric cable?

you can get your dream course i tell you.....your destiny is in your own hands blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you only need a OD3... look at a pass physics paper before you go resigning yourself to NUIM (oh lord, anything but that! .. I kid). Okay, obviously it'd take work, but if it's what you need to get what you really want to do... you'll have the motivation.
    (And you can always ask the people on this board for help, there's enough physics nerds floating around.)

If you only need a OD3... look at a pass physics paper before you go resigning yourself to NUIM (oh lord, anything but that! .. I kid). Okay, obviously it'd take work, but if it's what you need to get what you really want to do... you'll have the motivation.
    (And you can always ask the people on this board for help, there's enough physics nerds floating around.)
    I know I know, but its just not like that. I have to put my attention to other subjects, such as Maths.

I know that you're kidding about NUIM, but there has to be a bit of truth in that, no?

I dunno, its like I have to do something I really love in a bog standard university now, makes me feel like I'll go nowhere in my career but I don't really have a choice. I'm not going to get physics all sorted out, I can't do it and if I did I'd be sacrificing grades I need to get in to CSci (doing 4 H, 3 Ordinary subjects, so I need the points).

I might just do the BA (doesn't require a lab science in UCD), and then a masters to top it off. I'm really not sure at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Pharmacy UCC.

BEAU X

yep www.examinations.ie and you can pick up all the answers there too for the past few years

i'll even buy you the book myself wrap it in purple paper and place it outside the pub with the most vowels in its name in a village of your choosing anywhere in ireland for you to collect. :D

seriously i didnt just pick physics off the top of my head.....now biology if you said you were doing that in a year i would laugh at you....but physics ordinary level is very common sensey......concepts that can be easy to relate to.....and if theres stuff you dont like in it.....just leave it out....40% is the target not 90

this was another question in 2008 for 1.75%. You were given this sentence as part of a bigger paragraph:

The main sources of renewable energy are the sun (solar energy), the wind, moving water (hydropower, wave and tidal energy), heat below the surface of the earth (geothermal energy) and biomass (wood, waste, crops).

Then for 1.75% you were asked to list the main sources of renewable energy !!!!!!! hellllloooooo :rolleyes:

even if you did this exam now you would get 15%......you only have to make up 25%.....25% is a fail of catastrophic proportions.....can you fail catastrophically.....i think you can :D

by the way theres a guaranteed 30% just for the experiments and they will probably be in part B too.......up to youhoo.....i'm not saying its all a doddle....work has to be done but the the reward......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I knwo what I want as a career but it doesn't require scientific knowledge or anything like that! I just want to work in a wildlife conservation park like Fota or Longleat!

And Zoology isn't an actual requirement, but I still want to go to college.
    But the chemistry scares me. I haven't done it since junior cert and hated it..

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations, off to UCD then I take it! Glad to see that even with such high points you went for what you wanted to do and not medicine, law or the like.

I'm in 4th year CS in UCD ;) (doing the BSc course, DN030)
    Anyway, I hate the sight of blood and law sounds incredibly boring, but I'm a big computer geek, who also likes maths and physics.

There's a lot to be said for the relatively broad education that the BA CS course gives - I would have loved to have taken some linguistics courses along the way and that would be a decent backup to CS within the context of the BA degree. Also, CS/Econ looks really good to employers, particularly if you've taken some maths with it along the way.

I'm in 4th year CS in UCD ;) (doing the BSc course, DN030)
    Anyway, I hate the sight of blood and law sounds incredibly boring, but I'm a big computer geek, who also likes maths and physics.

There's a lot to be said for the relatively broad education that the BA CS course gives - I would have loved to have taken some linguistics courses along the way and that would be a decent backup to CS within the context of the BA degree. Also, CS/Econ looks really good to employers, particularly if you've taken some maths with it along the way.
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I thought I was just being a complete idiot though, I love Economics for the LC and I love Computers as well.

The thing that put me off the BA though was that I want to be doing a LOT of computers as well as arts topics. You know, I don't want to spend like 5 hours doing a language and then 1 hour of computers haha.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll consider physics :]

• Advertisement

If you're doing BA CS you'll have pretty much equal amounts of CS and your arts subject, and your final year is full CS because you've completed your degree course in your arts subject in 3 years.

Your interest in economics actually makes it sound like you're really well suited to BA CS btw.

If you're doing BA CS you'll have pretty much equal amounts of CS and your arts subject, and your final year is full CS because you've completed your degree course in your arts subject in 3 years.

Your interest in economics actually makes it sound like you're really well suited to BA CS btw.
    God thank you so much rainbow kirby, you have really helped me set my goals.

I've just checked there are a lot of things I can masters in, each one year each. So if I did 2 I would be well set career-wise; and an extra 2 years isn't much at all.

This is absolutely perfect for me. Thank you, so much. A lot of stress has been taken off me tonight, and I'm off to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Always knew i wanted to be a firefighter/paramedic, but finding a college course to help and suit me was a challenge.

Though of engineering or forensics (arson investigation is a huge intrest of mine)

But in the end decided to go for nursing, got it on the cao got my no1, delighted cant wait.

Tip #1 for the cao, get your application in early, its chaper and its less likely to crash. Even put down 1 course, just so your on the system, you can always change it later.

Tip #2 Go to open days, higher options conference, fas oppertunitys etc etc, wander around look at all the options open to you, grab a few prospectus and skim through get a few ideas, then narrow it down to what you want.

Tip #3 The internet is a huge resource, qualifax, career directions etc etc etc all have tests etc to assess your intrests and prospective career choices, use them

Tip #4 When considering a career after college, remember to research the career itself, not everything is like what you see on tv and if thats the basis of your choice (eg wanting to be a vet after watching animal hospital, or a cop after the bill) think again, tv picks and chooses the good bits, the bits theyll know youll like

Tip #5 Relax! Not the end of the world, do your homework and tip over with a bit of revision each night, 5-10 mins of irish or french or what ever verbs, do the extra maths sum, it all build up, cramming doesnt work, youll get stressed out and possibly flunk. Have a problem with a subject, get it sorted now, be it grind or a bit of a kick in the rear from a teacher your sorted.

Best of luck, feel free to pm me for help as ive just been through the whole rig-marole myself

God thank you so much rainbow kirby, you have really helped me set my goals.

I've just checked there are a lot of things I can masters in, each one year each. So if I did 2 I would be well set career-wise; and an extra 2 years isn't much at all.

This is absolutely perfect for me. Thank you, so much. A lot of stress has been taken off me tonight, and I'm off to bed!

Glad I could be of help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Well i always liked the idea of medicine but i'm not 100% sure if i definitely want to do it and since i'm not doing chemistry now i was thinking i'd do a science degree in college and hopefully by the time i'm finished that i will have my mind made up about medicine.... i know it will take longer but i don't want to go into something i'm not sure about and i won't be under as much pressure this year!!

We also have a rubbish career guidance teacher, she still hasn't given back our aptitude tests from 3years ago!! So do any of ye know roughly how many points i'd need for a science degree???

Well i always liked the idea of medicine but i'm not 100% sure if i definitely want to do it and since i'm not doing chemistry now i was thinking i'd do a science degree in college and hopefully by the time i'm finished that i will have my mind made up about medicine.... i know it will take longer but i don't want to go into something i'm not sure about and i won't under as much pressure this year!!

We also have a rubbish career guidance teacher, she still hasn't given back our aptitude tests from 3years ago!! So do any of ye know roughly how many points i'd need for a science degree???

in ucd this year it was 300. you probably need a third language and either honours maths or a B in pass. and you might need a science subject :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Afaik in TCD Science this year you need 415 points, plus a HC3 in two Science subjects (although included in this are the likes of Geography, Ag Science, Applied Maths etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Been planning on doing Science in Trinity since mid-5th year. Just really like the subject and I'm doing all the sciences. Course is only 415 and I got 540 in my summer exam so I'm really sorted for my LC :D I'll definitely try and aim higher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Points don't sound too bad. I'm have french(h) as a third language and i'm doing biology and phys/chem, (both h), i want to go back to pass maths tho:confused:

Anyone know what points and matriculation are like for science in UL or NUIG???

Points don't sound too bad. I'm have french(h) as a third language and i'm doing biology and phys/chem, (both h), i want to go back to pass maths tho:confused:

Anyone know what points and matriculation are like for science in UL or NUIG???

www.qualfax.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Journalism in either DCU or UL. If not then I might do a sports degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Science or Radio Therapy in Trinity.

No intrest in anywhere else to be honest, not sure why :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

photography in iadt/dit
    radiography in ucd
    social science in ucd
    social work in trinity
    radiation therapy in trinity

i really don't know though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Arts in UCD or NUIG and then secondary school teaching teaching in english, history and CSPE would be pleasant. :)

Or Law if I follow my heart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Currently I'm leaning towards Actuarial & Financial Studies or Mathematical Science in UCD. I'm not 100% sure on either of those. I'm also considering something in the area of Physics or Engineering. I'm going for something mathematical and that's what matters. :pac:

(My school decided that only 5th years get to go the Higher Options, feck)

Davidius wrote: »
    Currently I'm leaning towards Actuarial & Financial Studies or Mathematical Science in UCD. I'm not 100% sure on either of those. I'm also considering something in the area of Physics or Engineering. I'm going for something mathematical and that's what matters. :pac:

(My school decided that only 5th years get to go the Higher Options, feck)
    What does that part mean? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

K4t wrote: »
    What does that part mean? :)
    I don't get to go to the Higher Options Conference which means I won't get a free prospectus from a bunch of universities that I'll never read and then stare at attractive women. As a side effect it also means I'll appear as if I'm actually looking at my options seriously. :pac:

Or maybe that was something different. I don't remember.

Maybe I didn't give you the answer you were looking for. You'll have to ask me 4 more times and complete 3 quests before I can be helpful.

stare at attractive women.
    Summed up college in four words there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Try this site it seems quite good!
    http://www.careerdirections.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't get to go to the Higher Options Conference which means I won't get a free prospectus from a bunch of universities that I'll never read and then stare at attractive women. As a side effect it also means I'll appear as if I'm actually looking at my options seriously. :pac:

Or maybe that was something different. I don't remember.

Maybe I didn't give you the answer you were looking for. You'll have to ask me 4 more times and complete 3 quests before I can be helpful.

Id say just go, ask your parents for permission and go.

Also prospectuses are always free, your careers guidance person profiting of you all?

Advertisement