Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thanks lads

Options
  • 26-08-2008 8:13am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭

hey lads

well im finally back home after a mental year. just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, as setting off we really hadnt a rashers about bikes and cycling and are only slighty better now! so thanks for all the advice and answers to my naieve questions.
    its great to be home now! boards got blocked there by the great firewall there starting about 3 months ago, obviously someone was dissing the yellow man.

thanks again
    conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Very well done to all three of ye Conor, truly seemed the trip of a lifetime. Many of us here were following the updates and photos on Bebo etc. I reckon it is us that will be looking for the advice from you in the future!

Since you left the institution of Boards spins every weekend has been inaugurated (by our great leader Tiny Explosions); you would all be very welcome to come out if you are not sick of the bike! Generally do Wicklow mountains on Saturdays and a flat one around Kildare/Meath Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Welcome back, and needless to say jolly well done! Has been great watching the updates (and made me a little jealous!), and as Blorg says, you're more than welcome to join us on our weekend spins -you can regale us with (this climb) is nothing compared to the mountain we saw in (insert country here) -we had to ride up it in our bare feet with a siezed freewheel that basically made the bike a fixie..... etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Heard you guys on Radio One's lunchtime news programme recently. Well done - it's an incredible achievement.

Planning any more such trips? If so, why not bring a camera operator and sound recordist so you can make a documentary out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Heard you guys on Radio One's lunchtime news programme recently. Well done - it's an incredible achievement.

Planning any more such trips? If so, why not bring a camera operator and sound recordist so you can make a documentary out of it?

I can record sounds -have the papers to proove it.... bring me with you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

A big congrats to all of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well done Conor, what an amazing achievement. Well done to you and the rest of the lads.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

thanks lads

yea it really was some adventure. a the moment though im just enjoying the simple things, having a fridge,a couch to flake on,a decent bed and not haivng to unpaacn repack my clothes constantly.oh yeah and having more than one fleece to wear is always good.

we actually tried to get rte to a documentary and even had a production company behind us and a handy cam (until it got robbed in tehran) but for obvious reasons rte didnt back 3 lads who openly admitted theyd never cycled anywhere in their lives to get to beijing!

the bikes sitting in pieces in the hallway at the moment, have to get the finger out and reattach the handlebars and pedals and front wheel. got the bike spruced up in beijing before i left, managed to get a new chain,cassetes,rear brake arms,bottom bracket,front derailer and rear deraille (shimano deore), gear and brake cables, buckels taken out and a clean for €95. so she should be running as new.

dont think therell be any big trips in the near future, have to knuckle down and finish my degree. busy enough for the first few weekend but will be out for one of the spins in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

More fools them. I seem to remember them also failing to back an obscure sit-com about three Irish priests living together on an island...
    but for obvious reasons rte didnt back 3 lads who openly admitted theyd never cycled anywhere in their lives to get to beijing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

More fools them. I seem to remember them also failing to back an obscure sit-com about three Irish priests living together on an island...
    Aye, but don't worry - they'll buy "The man who cycled the world" from the BBC next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, RTE are more interested in funding sh** like failte towers than something genuinely interesting.

Well done on the whole trip, it really was one of those "once in a lifetime" jobs and you lads are an inspiration to the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Well done Conor.

Great achievement.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

haha yeah i couldnt get my head around it why they wouldnt back us. ah well.

have a look at these guys and support them in anyway you can
    www.revolutioncycle.ie
    what theyre attempting is seriously impressive and WITHOUT support vehicles, which believe me makes a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

kenmc wrote: »
    Aye, but don't worry - they'll buy "The man who cycled the world" from the BBC next year....

And show it at 3 o'clock in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

hey lads

well im finally back home after a mental year. just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, as setting off we really hadnt a rashers about bikes and cycling and are only slighty better now! so thanks for all the advice and answers to my naieve questions.
    its great to be home now! boards got blocked there by the great firewall there starting about 3 months ago, obviously someone was dissing the yellow man.

thanks again
    conor
    Amazing achievement, well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Very impressive. Did ye keep a blog or photo journal ? IF so could you post the links... i love reading about mad irish people doing mad things !

Advertisement