Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Elective confirmation?

• 26-08-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I selected an elective, but instead of saying "chosen" next to it in my summary, it says "provisional".

Any idea how likely it is I'll get it, and when it'll be finalised? I'd hate to wait ages only to find out I'm not in the class, then be too late to pick another good module...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think its September 5th AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

So, why can't the places just be assigned immediately like most courses? What's the craic with the delay?

Would you say it'd be better for me to find a guaranteed class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So, why can't the places just be assigned immediately like most courses? What's the craic with the delay?

Would you say it'd be better for me to find a guaranteed class?

Think its because people will keep signing up to them, so they do a random lottery. Would be better for first come, first served. Just give it some time, may change by later today, mine are the same. Let 1st years register fully, then see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As for whether it's better to find a guaranteed (in-program / "go deeper") class, that's a matter of opinion, and varies from course to course. From other comments I've read, it sounds as if everything is up for grabs in some Arts Omnibus courses. In my case (DN078) I only get one elective a year, and I've chosen one that compliments my course, even though it doesn't appear to be marked as in-program.

"First come first served" wouldn't be fair, I think - some people are on holiday, or working, and might not be able to get to a computer. If you see the course in the "Easy Electives" thread, expect it to be over-subscribed! B)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

bnt wrote: »
    Well, everyone's in the same position: even if the elective in question is in-program ("go deeper"), which means that you get priority, it will still show "provisional" until 5 September, it appears
    I've been confirmed in a politics elective I picked (politics is half of my joint major).

• Advertisement
Advertisement