Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrap or get fixed?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

ok... id put girls to shame im typical, i know nothing about cars and i dont know what to do!

I have a 99 Opel corsa, The head gasket went, which led to other problems. I brought, or i mean towed it to a garage and they said they can fix it for 850!

this includes: skim head, gaskett,waterpump,thermastat,oil&filter,time&chain kit,coolant!

these mean nothing to me, if theres this many problems is worth getting fixed or will i scrap it?

if so do i get no money, what do you get for scrapping, i think the car(working) is worth 1500, should i fix it and sell it or scrap it?
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Heads or Tails ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

ha, thats a good solution alright! so is there not much of a difference money wise, im so sad, it was my first car and im lost without it, i really need a car,but im broke, so the best option money wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya prob wont gt much for scrappin it but theres no harm ringin around, have a look at the buy and sell there is ads in it lookin for damaged cars, ya could ring them and see, i'd say the most would be a few hundred though

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

macbarbie wrote: »
    ok... id put girls to shame im typical, i know nothing about cars and i dont know what to do!

I have a 99 Opel corsa, The head gasket went, which led to other problems. I brought, or i mean towed it to a garage and they said they can fix it for 850!

this includes: skim head, gaskett,waterpump,thermastat,oil&filter,time&chain kit,coolant!

these mean nothing to me, if theres this many problems is worth getting fixed or will i scrap it?

if so do i get no money, what do you get for scrapping, i think the car(working) is worth 1500, should i fix it and sell it or scrap it?
    thanks in advance!

Its more to do with maths than cars :)

For your car to sell it will need a few things aside from the work in the estimate. The bodywork will have to be clean and you would need to be sure the estimate covers everything that needs doing. It will also need to have a long NCT. A short NCT would both reduce its value and make it difficult to sell. Ditto for any body damage.

In its current condition it is worth very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Have a look around for a new engine with all the ancillaries on it, it would be cheaper then fixing the old one. I always did that whenever I had anything costing major bucks, works out far cheaper in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Personally I look at these issues from the view of what's the car worth to me, not what it's worth to someone else. It may only have a resale value of €1,500 if fixed, and the repairs may cost €850, but where would you get an equivalent car for that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Second hand engine would work out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Work out the maths.

If you want to change car nows a good time to do it. This is personal preference though.

If you plan to drive the car for a good number of years its worth the repair to you.

If you plan to fix it and sell it do the math on scrap value sale Vs repair and Sale. This one id vote with my pocket on.

There your options and the decision wil depend on your personal prefrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

macbarbie wrote: »
    ha, thats a good solution alright! so is there not much of a difference money wise, im so sad, it was my first car and im lost without it, i really need a car,but im broke, so the best option money wise!

Looks like the garage are going to do a fairly detailed job ,

if they are willing to give a guartanee on work done & if the car is fairly good nick it maybe be worthwhile

buying a secondhand engine may be cheaper but you would want to know it's history ...... you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ART6 wrote: »
    Personally I look at these issues from the view of what's the car worth to me, not what it's worth to someone else. It may only have a resale value of €1,500 if fixed, and the repairs may cost €850, but where would you get an equivalent car for that money?

+1

How long you've had it and what else have you had to do is a big thing to me. If it's rough, broken, high mileage, no NCT, no tax, then it's at the end of it's life.

You don't have to be a mechanic to decide. Just look at it - is it at the end of it's life? If yes, scrap it, if not, fix it. If you've never had to do much else, don't be so mean with the maintenance- all cars need a lot over their life and you can't cry if it comes all at once. There's no guarantee the replacement won't be just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

[quote=cantdecide;57036323 There's no guarantee the replacement won't be just as bad.[/quote]

+1 If you get rid of it by whatever means then you will probably have to spend many times more than the repair bill to be reasonably sure you are not just buying another set of problems, otherwise it's a case of are you feeling lucky ?

I've already been there, spending €1000 on a car worth about €400 to (hopefully) get another couple of years out of it to its next NCT instead of spending 10 - 20 times that on a decent replacement.

Advertisement