Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (and other countrys) American football, Where will it be in ten years time?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Will it of gotten bigger in Ireland?
    How much bigger?
    What about America?
    Will they start supporting other sports Instead?

Opinions please . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

ajeffares wrote: »
    How much bigger?
    What about America?

Opinions please . . .

I think it will be much bigger in Ireland as it becomes more televised on Sky, TV3 for the first time showed the Superbowl last year. A lot more people will watch it as more and more people get fed up with the Premiership. It still be a minority sport, but even now I know a lot of people who follow it. I presume all this will increase the numbers who play at an amateur level in Ireland but it still wont be anything to write home about.

As for europe i.e. UK & Germany, it could become a very popular sport, obviously never close to Soccer. I think the last NFL Europe Final had an attendence of 40,000. Cost was the only reason NFL Europe was closed down because it was growing in Germany. I could see a successful european league if it was cost effective. In 10 years there will probably been NFL games played in 10 different european countries.

One of the goals of Arena Football is to tap into the world market and have an international league. As they see arena football as a sport that could be taken up by anybody. Their overall goal is to make it an olympic sport. (Hopefully Rugby 7's will get in for 2012, which lowers arena footballs already slim chance).

As for the US, it should remain their no. 1 sport unless Goodell messes it up, but so far he's done ok. As long as he can control the media ie in the case of 'Spy'gate where it became the biggest story in the US, he should be ok. The ending of the current CBA threatens the NFLs long term stability, I don't think the ending of a cap on salary will ruin it. Other threats to its popularity is the starting of the UFL next season but I feel even if the UFL does an excellant job it will only be a feeder league.

Hazys wrote: »
    I think it will be much bigger in Ireland as it becomes more televised on Sky, TV3 for the first time showed the Superbowl last year. A lot more people will watch it as more and more people get fed up with the Premiership. It still be a minority sport, but even now I know a lot of people who follow it. I presume all this will increase the numbers who play at an amateur level in Ireland but it still wont be anything to write home about.

On the other hand, for a good few years in the 80s it was shown at 8pm every Thursday on RTE 2 for an hour. That was a time when most houses in rural areas had access to only two channels, so we weren't even spoiled for choice. And it was a good highlights package. And while a few followed it for a while, it left no lasting legacy on sports here. Sky also show bowls, speedway, rugby league, NASCAR and a host of other sports that won't get anywhere. They show cricket, and despite the phenomenal success of our own national team in the cricket world cup just last year and some great fixtures coming up in the next couple of years, I'm not sure that it will make the breakthrough. Think Sky's impact will be negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If the NFL scrap the sallary cap it will ruin the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The NFL is never going to scrap the salary cap. The rest of ther North American Leagues have installed or are in the process of installing some sort of Cap/Luxury Tax system.

I wouldnt totally agree with that. I'd prefer no salary cap to the proposed CBA to replace the current one.

The new CBA is stupid. It is proposed that is brought in after the current one expires. One of the rules stops successful teams from being active in free agency. If a team reaches a certain position in the playoffs they are capped on what they can spend in free agency. This is ridiculous, punishing well run teams and rewarding rubbish teams who waste money.

Id prefer no cap to this. At least the best run teams will still be better than The Redskins and Raiders who just throw money at players. The Packers last year were something like $40 million under the salary cap and reached the NFC Championship game. An excellant book to read is 'Moneyball' by Michael Lewis, where he writes about the management of the Oakland A's in a capless MLB and how they are so successfull when their wage budget is a quarter of what the Red Soxs and Yankees spend.

Id still prefer what exists now to the 2 above options.

One thing I'd like to see is a Rookie Salary cap. Alex Smith earning $10 million this year to back up JT O'Sullivan who is on $500K :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

The current system seemed to work.

But a rookie salery cap is a must, if the raiders flop again this year they will have very little money for the rest of the team!:pac: as it will be all going to UNPROVVEN rookies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hazys wrote: »
    I wouldnt totally agree with that. I'd prefer no salary cap to the proposed CBA to replace the current one.

The new CBA is stupid. It is proposed that is brought in after the current one expires.
    That would be the uncapped system so unfortunately from certain points of view the current system is the best thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

One of the goals of Arena Football is to tap into the world market and have an international league. As they see arena football as a sport that could be taken up by anybody. Their overall goal is to make it an olympic sport. (Hopefully Rugby 7's will get in for 2012, which lowers arena footballs already slim chance).

A little confused there Hazy. Arena Football are planning to expand into Europe. There will be expo games in Germany this year. They might even come to Ireland.

American Football is moving towards becoming an Olympic sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Can't see many (read: any) pros being released to play in the Olympics, so the standard would be way, way below what we are used to watching. And thus kind of crap.

Arena Football in Europe might be a good idea, but in the Olympics - it's kind of a cartoon version of a real sport... doesn't really seem like it should be at the Olympics to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

American football is decades away from becoming an Olympic sport, rugby 7s should be there a long time beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

jdivision wrote: »
    American football is decades away from becoming an Olympic sport, rugby 7s should be there a long time beforehand

I wish they both could get in and replace some of the crap sports

I don't know about decades but it is on the agenda with the World governing body.

Rugby 7's would be a good version of that sport to get Olympic status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 munster08

How much bigger?
    What about America?

Opinions please . . .

I think it's steadily becoming bigger in Ireland thanks to TV3, a few of my friends watched the Superbowl and the games leading up to it.

In 10 years it'll be:
    1. Football
    2. Hurling
    3. Soccer
    4. Rugby
    5. American Football
    6. Golf
    7. Athletics
    But with the last 4 being pretty even, all those sports got massive boosts this year-Munster winning the Heineken Cup, NY Giants winning a great Superbowl on TV3, Padraig Harrington retaining the British Open and winning the PGA Championship and of course Usain Bolt's 3 gold and 3 world records at the Olympics.

Soccer is becoming the game in America for the fat white kids who are crap at everything else so I can't see the Americans SUPPORTING it but they'll have to play it alright. Rugby will never catch on there, golf is going fairly steady, I can only see American Football getting bigger there!

munster08 wrote: »
    I think it's steadily becoming bigger in Ireland thanks to TV3, a few of my friends watched the Superbowl and the games leading up to it.

In 10 years it'll be:
    1. Football
    2. Hurling
    3. Soccer
    4. Rugby
    5. American Football
    6. Golf
    7. Athletics
    But with the last 4 being pretty even, all those sports got massive boosts this year-Munster winning the Heineken Cup, NY Giants winning a great Superbowl on TV3, Padraig Harrington retaining the British Open and winning the PGA Championship and of course Usain Bolt's 3 gold and 3 world records at the Olympics.

Soccer is becoming the game in America for the fat white kids who are crap at everything else so I can't see the Americans SUPPORTING it but they'll have to play it alright. Rugby will never catch on there, golf is going fairly steady, I can only see American Football getting bigger there!

What is your top 10 based on? How many people watch? Different times of the year different sports become popular

munster08 wrote: »
    5. American Football
    6. Golf

:D:D:D

With 250,000 paid up members of golf clubs in Ireland, and the country bursting at the seams with courses, I don't think the Golf Union of Ireland sees American Football as a threat.

Maybe aim for a few pitches, and maybe 2,500 players, before taking on the juggernaut that is golf in Ireland.

Incidentally, there are loads of other sports you completely ignore, like angling, cycling, boxing, cricket, basketball, rallying and motorsports etc. etc. Again, without even checking the stats I can tell you they are out of sight compared to American Football. Much as I like the game, a dose of reality is needed first.

What is your top 10 based on? How many people watch? Different times of the year different sports become popular

I think location plays a big factor in Ireland. In some small towns around the country GAA is by far the number 1 and anything else is tiny and then GAA, I can only presume is a minority sport in parts of Dublin where Soccer and rugby rule.

So its hard to gauge how popular American football will be in Ireland. It will be a strange sight to see somebody walking down the main street in some small country town in a Broncos jersey while not out of the ordinary in Cork or Dublin

You could base your top 10 on participation of a team sport and get something like :

1 GAA
    2 Soccer
    3 Rugby

Basketball,Cricket,Hockey,Volleyball,Baseball.Water Polo and maybe even Ice Hockey would all be ahead of American Football.

Saying that, Football has grown a lot over the past couple of years and looks likely to continue to spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Hazys is talking crazy talk. American Football won't be even close to the top 10 sports, even in 10 years' time. Apart from all of the team sports Titan lists, think about the amount of track and field sports that would have a much bigger following in Ireland. Then there's boxing. And rowing. And tennis. And badminton.

Jesus, any sport I think of is more popular than football and will almost certainly remain more popular in 10 years' time.

All of the other popular team sports are practiced in secondary and/or primary schools, which helps perpetuate their popularity. Football won't have a chance of truly competing as long as it's the odd one out in that respect. Getting a presence in college is a great thing for the game, but it'll take a lot longer than 10 years before it becomes one of the top 10 sports in Ireland.

Lothaar wrote: »
    Hazys is talking crazy talk. American Football won't be even close to the top 10 sports, even in 10 years' time.

??? When did i say that ???

All i said was it is going to be much bigger in 10 years than it is now.

Participation in team sports is one measurement, following the sport on television is another.

I am constantly surprised at the following of the NFL and even College football that there is in Ireland.
    If you counted bum on seats in front of televisions then football would be a top 10 sport.
    Getting these bums to go to an IAFL game is a matter of marketing.

• Advertisement

TITAN #1 wrote: »
    If you counted bum on seats in front of televisions then football would be a top 10 sport.

Wouldn't even know about that. Its only on Sky, which has a fraction of the viewing audience that the mainstream channels get. It might sneak in on the basis that there are only about ten sports shown at all on the telly, maybe Speedway and Lawn Bowls get an even lesser audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Sorry Hazys, it was munster08 who said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Agreed, the out of control spending has destroyed soccer. Lifelong Man U supporter and I can barely face the new season. No Salary cap = Dallas Cowboys the Chelsea of NFL.

TITAN #1 wrote: »
    You could base your top 10 on participation of a team sport and get something like :

1 GAA
    2 Soccer
    3 Rugby

Basketball,Cricket,Hockey,Volleyball,Baseball.Water Polo and maybe even Ice Hockey would all be ahead of American Football.

Saying that, Football has grown a lot over the past couple of years and looks likely to continue to spread.

What about golf? Surely golf is the most played sport in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I'd imagine GAA is the most played by wide margin, much more GAA pitches than golf courses.

I'd imagine GAA is the most played by wide margin, much more GAA pitches than golf courses.

The thing is golf can be played by all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

D/Sport released a couple of years ago. IN terms of participation. Football (or soccer as some of you call it) was BY FAR the biggest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The thing is golf can be played by all ages

As can Gaelic Football or Hurling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As can Gaelic Football or Hurling

Technically any sport can be played by people of nearly all ages. But I still doubt you get many 40+ yr old GAA or hurling players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Technically any sport can be played by people of nearly all ages. But I still doubt you get many 40+ yr old GAA or hurling players.

Definitely agree but take 5-12 year olds how many do you know who play golf. Golf is more of a hobby sport to most really something to relax guys on a Sunday. Alot more younger folk playing it these days and a fair few taking it more serious but it will always be one of these hobby sports for most.

Advertisement