Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else REALLY ANGRY at DIT right now?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Right got my letter with my Giro in the post today... Seems they want the fees paid by Monday. Anyone else think that takes serious cheek to give only 3 working days notice of it?

Also, can anyone who has done DT025 clear up a question? Going into second year and got a place in structural (code DT024) but the online registrations says that I'm just going into DT025/2. Anyone been there and know what the story is? Don't want to register until that's cleared up so I guess they'll be singing to get their money by monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Right got my letter with my Giro in the post today... Seems they want the fees paid by Monday. Anyone else think that takes serious cheek to give only 3 working days notice of it?

Also, can anyone who has done DT025 clear up a question? Going into second year and got a place in structural (code DT024) but the online registrations says that I'm just going into DT025/2. Anyone been there and know what the story is? Don't want to register until that's cleared up so I guess they'll be singing to get their money by monday.

I thought we have till the end of september/start of october to pay them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

the thing on mine says please pay before 01 september 2008... :(

ah well

they'll get it when they get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As long as you pay before the end of October you won't be penalised. They won't give you an ID card till you pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

I wouldnt worry about it. When I did it (when it was FT125/1) it automagically changed to FT121/2 when I went into Building Services.
    DT025/2 is probably just for office use in case some people change their preference at the last minute.

As for paying by Monday, as is the usual DIT way, when they get it they get it:D

As long as you pay by the time of registration it should be ok, otherwise you'll be stuck without an id for a while which is a pain.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Registration all sorted and hit the parents up for some cash :P

Seems the reason I've to pay by Monday is I had tuition fees overdue that I was unaware of :eek: Thank you DIT for sending me a bill on time like instead of a "Last Notice" type thing!!!!!!!!!!!

(Note: I'm not stupid not realising that I had no fees or anything :p just wasn't sure exactly when my withdrawal from my previous course had gone through and then got no invoice from DIT for semester 2.. )

Still though. Very rude of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how much is registration this year?

€900

:eek: that's a €75 increase, i'll have to do without jolt for the first week back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I've got nothing in the post yet =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Voltwad wrote: »
    I've got nothing in the post yet =/

neither have i, 900€? wow

was 800 in my first year
    825 in second year
    now 900!!! :eek:

Still, cant complain I guess when you compare this to what the non-EU people pay!

• Advertisement

Also says payment must be in before the 22nd of September. Thats never the case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

The Government put a tax on the registration fee this year, that's why it went up €75.

The hatefull thing is, that €75 goes straight back into the government and not to the college. So its not like we're getting anything from the college for it!

Fee's are on their way back in one form or another!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

The hatefull thing is, that €75 goes straight back into the government and not to the college. So its not like we're getting anything from the college for it!

Minus the €75, have you ever gotten anything back from the college for the remainder of your fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Minus the €75, have you ever gotten anything back from the college for the remainder of your fee?

An education maybe?:rolleyes:

An education maybe?:rolleyes:

Aren't we in a free education system? The fee is for other purposes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

'Free' Education is relative, insomuch that it means we don't pay the 20/30 thousand euro fees that some americans have to pay.

Seriously, Ireland is at its richest. If 75 quid is a big increase for you then you are living under the poverty line and shouldn't be paying it anyway!!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    'Free' Education is relative, insomuch that it means we don't pay the 20/30 thousand euro fees that some americans have to pay.

Seriously, Ireland is at its richest. If 75 quid is a big increase for you then you are living under the poverty line and shouldn't be paying it anyway!!

I'm not complaining about the €75. I'm just making a point for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

the whole reg thing in dit is messed up like always sure the reg opened last week but anyone doing advantage entry the forms were sent out yesterday so god know why we are being less time then most to pay so hopefully it is the end of the month we have to pay by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

Got my postgrad registration letter in yesterday.

Nearly died when it said I had to pay ALL my fees before I could register. Er, what? Excuse me?!! It's really ridiculous.

Queens allows you to pay in two installments and that's for a fee of £1250 or something like that.

DIT is asking for my 6500 euro up front. Eeesh. Did not expect that. Especially since the free fees application closing date is only today!

can't login to register.

also have recieved nothing in the post.

pretty ticked off tbh.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote: »
    can't login to register.

also have recieved nothing in the post.

pretty ticked off tbh.

Take the hint :p

Ah this is all common DIT administration epic failure stuff. Happens all the time. I think I already posted this before, but last year we had a lecturer in the first semester talk about doing a project on how to improve DIT's shoddy administration standards.

lol wish i could man, i'm just holding out for the piece of paper because i've been told i can walk into my work placement job if i want it after i finish 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Also, can anyone who has done DT025 clear up a question? Going into second year and got a place in structural (code DT024)

Is it difficult to get the specific course after first year?? How is it all decided?

Turnip2000 wrote: »
    Is it difficult to get the specific course after first year?? How is it all decided?

Structural is the difficult one to get into. Everyone puts their choices in order of preference near the end of the year and then if there's more demand than places for a particular stream (usually structural) it's based on grades, this will be decided after summer exams. This year anyone who passed every module and put structural as their first preference got structural.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Me too!!!! €6500 is a lot of money to have to come up with in one go!! I thought we may be able to pay half now then half in 09...

btw it's not MSc in Marketing you doing is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is panicking about it! I'm doing MA Journalism. Which campus is Marketing on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Still nothing in the post, dno whether to blame An Post or DIT because I know other people who have got their giro's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Im my opinion, the 900 is not that seep...

1 becacuse i wont have to pay it... PT masters lol (Ok will have to pay about 2500 in total but as far as i know the equivalnt 900 is about 120 )
    2 if you look in the right places you can atcualy make money out of DIT

So far I have recieved a Laptop from DIT, i get free photocopying (Ok i do get a grant for that from the disabilty serivce). but last year DIT commisioned a Room count.. and I managed to make 350 from that... and I know for a fact it was advertised in Kevin ST. Made 100 from Open Day.

Dont forget the free heath serivce... Get involved with societys and you can get DIT to pay (on your behalf ) for a loat of things...

Jsut think it could be worse... like going to TCD or UCD where there is a Student Levy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

900 aint really that steep is ya get a grant ya dont have to worry about it. people who are yet to get a grant have to pay it and then weasle the money back out of the CC or vec. But at the same time telling people end of auguest that they owe nealy a grand (odds on next year it will be) in a month is harsh. sure ya could have saved up over the summer but what if ya dont get in. some go traveling so dont work during the summer so its even harder. surly telling us in may o yeah the reg for next year is €x we might actually save from june when we know we are in next year but ya dont think about it till ya see the giro

• Advertisement

now here's an idea
    First off standardise the amount payable for all courses at a given level on the NFOC
    then
    when filling out your CAO form, you also fill out a grant application which is attached to your CAO application. If not eligible, you pay your registration fee while paying for your CAO application. Then, as soon as you accept your place, the CAO transfers the funds to the relevent college. If you don't accept a course, you get refunded.

Now people might say "what about if you're applying for courses at different levels?"
    Just pay the highest amount and have any balance refunded after accepting offers.

Advertisement