Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Internet 50mb 99c a day

• 26-08-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

looks like meteor have jumped on the band wagon and are now offering 50mb for 99c a day. They say you don't need to subscribe so does that mean i will be charged 99c if i send one text from cabbage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

looks like meteor have jumped on the band wagon and are now offering 50mb for 99c a day. They say you don't need to subscribe so does that mean i will be charged 99c if i send one text from cabbage?

Thinks it's the old kb rate but capped at 99c up to 50MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ah yes so it is. got a bit confused when i read it first.

Cick here read more about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO

i went to a focus group where they asked us how we were doing with the 3g trial and what we'd like to see after it. myself and several others said that the 99c a day thing was crap and we wanted anything but that. they paid for a focus group and gave each of us €50 and then didn't listen to us :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yeah, I was at one of them focus groups also. Wasn't happy about the 99c a day business and said as much.

The price plan basically looks like this:

1kb - 50kb = 2c per kb Very few people will fall into this category and be charged less than 99c. Maybe if you send just a few texts on Cabbage and browse one or two mobile/text based sites.

50kb - 50mb = 99c This is the category where most people will fall into, any normal web-page browsing, a small image or two and you're in the 99c bracket already. Remember, this works out as the guts of 30quid per month if you browse daily.

50mb+ = (99c + 2c per kb) Unlikely most normal users will ever go over this, unless they are constantly on Youtube or using their phone as a modem. You'd want to browse normally for 40 minutes to an hour a day to get anywhere near to passing the 50mb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

:-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i went to a focus group where they asked us how we were doing with the 3g trial and what we'd like to see after it. myself and several others said that the 99c a day thing was crap and we wanted anything but that. they paid for a focus group and gave each of us €50 and then didn't listen to us :mad:
    Speaking of which I got another call from yer one today asking me to go to others :)

EDIT: they better not get rid of isp access (0.5c/kb) or im gonna go apeshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

It seems to me as much as the operators are giving us better deals these days there also screwing us on the other hand. Like with this, looks great but probably will end up costing you more in the long run. The meteor choice price plan is another one, only good if you top-up €20 a month, otherwise you get screwed with way calls and texts charges. What happened to the days with 9c calls. Surely if they were able to do it then, they would be able to afford it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wait, I'm not sure, what exactly is bad about this? Doesn't it mean I'll be able to get a meteor sim card and put it in my SE phone, use the phone as a modem on my laptop and get 50MB of data a day for 99c? This was my original plan with VodaFone, but only realised after that they restrict it to VodaFone live so you can't actually do anything with it on the laptop. Is this different? Can you browse anything online through a laptop? And if so, why is it a big NOOOOOOOOOO? :)

cormie wrote: »
    And if so, why is it a big NOOOOOOOOOO? :)
    Look at the price of it!!!!!

You can pay €29.70 per month for only 1.5MB of data.

• Advertisement

How much would that usually cost though? For what I want it for it's very good though. You can basically get mobile broadband for €4 a year, if you only use it for 4 days in that year and that'll give you 200MB. Cheapest other options for such a thing at the moment is €7.50 a month with o2, or €10 with three. But you have to pay that every month, so we're talking €4 compared to at least €90 from others.

How much would that usually cost though? For what I want it for it's very good though. You can basically get mobile broadband for €4 a year, if you only use it for 4 days in that year and that'll give you 200MB. Cheapest other options for such a thing at the moment is €7.50 a month with o2, or €10 with three. But you have to pay that every month, so we're talking €4 compared to at least €90 from others.
    You are precisely the stereotypical user they are trying to market this product at.

In doing so, they have made it totally unreasonable for the user who will browse only about 250kb daily.

Yeah that's unfortunate. Is there no other option for folk who would be using the likes of cabbage then?

So it's great for the likes of me, but terrible for the likes of Charlie down the road who uses cabbage every day to send 51kb of texts?

Yeah that's unfortunate. Is there no other option for folk who would be using the likes of cabbage then?

So it's great for the likes of me, but terrible for the likes of Charlie down the road who uses cabbage every day to send 51kb of texts?
    A data package would have sorted these people out. Meteor would have been happy too cause these people would still give them a fixed amount of money each month, rather than nothing which will be the case with me, as it is just too expensive.

*HINT HINT METEOR*

How much would that usually cost though?

it would usually cost exactly the same as normal. the price is the normal 2c per kb up to 99c and the figure of 1.5mb of data for €29.70 assumes you use exactly 99c worth and don't save money by using more and getting a flat rate.
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    EDIT: they better not get rid of isp access (0.5c/kb) or im gonna go apeshít.

if so, let's head down to meteor HQ with pitchforks and torches

@ cormie, if you're using the internet a lot, you're going to be spending the 99c anyway so it'd be good but if you're not using it for anything else, hope they keep the pricing on the data access point or it'll cost more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

OK so what would the best that meteor could offer? A fixed data plan per month for €10 giving you x MB ? any other suggestions...:)

1.) If you had to sign up to get this €1 a day thing and if you didn't you would still have the old rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'd be happy if they just matched 3's PAYG offer, or even 500MB for a tenner a month.

long_b wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they just matched 3's PAYG offer, or even 500MB for a tenner a month.
    I would be delighted with 500MB for 10 per month.

Which 3payg offer are you talking about?

I would be delighted with 500MB for 10 per month.

1gb for 10 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any sort of monthly monthly would beat the daily rate. It's not a fair rating. It benefits only such a small percentage. Heavy users pay €30 a month, Light users pay 99c a go, medium users who fit into the bracket that this benefits - don't think there's many.

If they've based this on current data trends by running reports on accounts and such they're way off. Why? Because usage is *generally* based on cost and had the costs been different before usage would have been much different.

• Advertisement

meteor, i hate to say it but:

faillike1999.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Carefull JMC, this is a link to a 3 website, your head might explode:D

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/addons-3pay.htm

Well are you delighted:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    meteor, i hate to say it but:

faillike1999.jpg

And only now the penny drops;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Wow these offers are well crap :( I'd do anything for 500MB for a tenner a month or something. But 30 quid for 1.5MB's?? :(:( I would use the internet on my phone lightly almost every day, and heavilly one or two days a week. Very rarely in the amound to make it worthwhile :( Bastards :(

And only now the penny drops;)

meteor brought out a crap tariff and this tariff fails. This one bad aspect of meteor does not bring it anywhere near the level of 3. I would not go back to 3 if they took my monthly bill and then deposited that much in my account instead of withdrawing it

and the reason i wouldn't go back is the problem with 3 has nothing to do with their tariffs, it's to do with their outright failure to solve the simplest problems coupled with lies about the causes of said problems, told to avoid having to fix them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

here's what they need to offer.

They charge you 1 euro to use 50 mb of data, but they let this data carry over for a maximum of 5 days.

In that way it's gonna cost you 1 euro for 5 days internet usage.

question:

What is meteor's definition of a day. If I use data at 11.59 pm, am I suddenly charged another euro and my data usage is reset??

swingking wrote: »
    here's what they need to offer.

They charge you 1 euro to use 50 mb of data, but they let this data carry over for a maximum of 5 days.

In that way it's gonna cost you 1 euro for 5 days internet usage.

question:

What is meteor's definition of a day. If I use data at 11.59 pm, am I suddenly charged another euro and my data usage is reset??
    While that idea is better you're replacing one lump of crap with a lesser lump of crap. Ideally I wanna buy a bundle and use it til it runs out with no time frame. I shall settle for a month though. :)

As for their definition of a day, midnight to midnight in the case of this. So yes, browse at 2359 and pay again after 0000.

Random wrote: »
    As for their definition of a day, midnight to midnight in the case of this. So yes, browse at 2359 and pay again after 0000.

This can be good in some cases too though. Browse from 00:30 to 01:30, bed at 2, wake at 10:00 and you have the whole day left to use it :)

This can be good in some cases too though. Browse from 00:30 to 01:30, bed at 2, wake at 10:00 and you have the whole day left to use it :)
    I didn't say the midnight/midnight specifically is bad. The whole thing is bad in my eyes.

• Advertisement

5 day usage for 99c would be great alright. Can't see the need for that kind of competition yet though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement