Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Internet 50mb 99c a day

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cormie wrote: »
    This can be good in some cases too though. Browse from 00:30 to 01:30, bed at 2, wake at 10:00 and you have the whole day left to use it :)
    I would only use this when out and about. I have wifi access on my phone when at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Sucks for commuting - that's when I (and many others too I'd say) do most of me browsing.

They picked the wrong network to cog their tarriffs off :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Carefull JMC, this is a link to a 3 website, your head might explode:D

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/addons-3pay.htm

Well are you delighted:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the heads up drunkmonkey.. Just updated the adblock filter to include the whole site. ;)

long_b wrote: »
    Sucks for commuting - that's when I (and many others too I'd say) do most of me browsing.

They picked the wrong network to cog their tarriffs off :)
    Yup. I've stopped listening to music on the way to work... I just browse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Why does this offer suck?
    Now people can browse the web comfortably without fear of being charged 10-20 even 30 euro a go. Non mobile sites can be browsed. Does O2 offer this? For pay as you go.
    Im in the process of switching to O2 because i wanted mobile internet on my winmobile phone, and the 7.50 a month for 250mb seemed a good offer. But 99c for the day seems pretty good to, since i wouldnt use it every day anyways.

• Advertisement

Jiggs wrote: »
    Why does this offer suck?
    Now people can browse the web comfortably without fear of being charged 10-20 even 30 euro a go. Non mobile sites can be browsed. Does O2 offer this? For pay as you go.
    Im in the process of switching to O2 because i wanted mobile internet on my winmobile phone, and the 7.50 a month for 250mb seemed a good offer. But 99c for the day seems pretty good to, since i wouldnt use it every day anyways.

Eh just look at the prices and you'll soon see:

Data|price (euro)
    1 KB| € 0.02
    5 KB | € 0.10
    10 KB | € 0.20
    15 KB | € 0.30
    20 KB | € 0.40
    25 KB | € 0.50
    50 KB | € 0.99
    1 MB | € 0.99
    10 MB | € 0.99
    20 MB | € 0.99
    30 MB | € 0.99
    40 MB | € 0.99
    50 MB | € 0.99
    60 MB | € 205.79
    70 MB | € 410.59
    80 MB | € 615.39
    90 MB | € 820.19
    100 MB | € 1,024.99

The google.ie homepage (html not mobile version) is 10KB. If you load this 10 times, you are up to 99c.

If you go over your 50MB by a mear 10MB (a youtube video size amount) the cost shoots up to €205.79 for 60MB of data.

I have attached a graph as well. Just look at the how steeply the graph rises for areas outside the 99c region.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

i agree that its expensive, but i meant in terms of irish standards, as well as pay as you go standards. Ive not seen anything better, but i may not have looked well enough. Is there any other way to get 50mb for 99c on pay as you go? As you pointed out, it costs 200euro got 10mb. so 50mb for 99c seems really good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What price is it now for 1kb though as anything up to 49kb is still at 2c per kb, then the next 49mb are basically free. This is PAYG (I think??) so if you go from 50-60MB, and only have €5 on your sim card, you'll only make it a bit past 50MB anyway before running out of credit. Doubt many people would have €205 credit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Im in the process of switching to O2 because i wanted mobile internet on my winmobile phone, and the 7.50 a month for 250mb seemed a good offer.
    I thought this was only available on O2 bill ?
    But 99c for the day seems pretty good to, since i wouldnt use it every day anyways.
    That's it in a nutshell really, great for people who don't really use it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i agree that its expensive, but i meant in terms of irish standards, as well as pay as you go standards. Ive not seen anything better, but i may not have looked well enough. Is there any other way to get 50mb for 99c on pay as you go? As you pointed out, it costs 200euro got 10mb. so 50mb for 99c seems really good to me.
    oh it is better than it was but it's better in that eating normal shit is better than eating diarrhea

there is another way you can get 50mb for 99c, they copied vodafone's deal exactly

3 offer 1gb for 10 euro flat rate for a month. That's a million times better than this offer. With the meteor offer i'm going to be running around looking for wifi spots (my phone has wifi) because i don't want to use that all important first 50 kb by doing a single google search

this rate discourages me from using it where a flat rate has me using it all day

would you be willing to say 29.70 a month for doing 1 google search a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,054 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    oh it is better than it was but it's better in that eating normal shit is better than eating diarrhea

there is another way you can get 50mb for 99c, they copied vodafone's deal exactly

3 offer 1gb for 10 euro flat rate for a month. That's a million times better than this offer. With the meteor offer i'm going to be running around looking for wifi spots (my phone has wifi) because i don't want to use that all important first 50 kb by doing a single google search

this rate discourages me from using it where a flat rate has me using it all day

would you be willing to say 29.70 a month for doing 1 google search a day?
    50MB per day. Not KB. MASSIVE difference. 1.5GB per month for 29.70.

Tauren wrote: »
    50MB per day. Not KB. MASSIVE difference. 1.5GB per month for 29.70.
    i know it's 50mb a day but if you look at the prices above you'll see that 50kb costs exactly the same as 50mb ;)

it's possible to spend 29.70 for 1.5mb of data, ie 1 google search a day

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

30e if I wanted to use data on my mobile for everyday of a month, ffs!
    Bollox even if all I wanted to do was check one e-mail out,

99c per week for 50MB would have done the job much better

I've loved Meteor upto now but I think this new data charge model has broke the camels back and I'll be looking for Vodafone & O2 now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

swingking wrote: »
    here's what they need to offer.

They charge you 1 euro to use 50 mb of data, but they let this data carry over for a maximum of 5 days.

In that way it's gonna cost you 1 euro for 5 days internet usage.

question:

What is meteor's definition of a day. If I use data at 11.59 pm, am I suddenly charged another euro and my data usage is reset??

its upto midnight, I started my 50MB yesterday around 2pm, it reset at 12 lastnight and I'd need to now pay another 99c for any further usage today!

So its not even 24hrs from the point you start it, its anything up till midnight by the looks of it

Cabaal wrote: »
    30e if I wanted to use data on my mobile for everyday of a month, ffs!
    Bollox even if all I wanted to do was check one e-mail out,

99c per week for 50MB would have done the job much better

I've loved Meteor upto now but I think this new data charge model has broke the camels back and I'll be looking for Vodafone & O2 now

How much browsing can I do with 50MB?

This really depends on the kind of pages you are viewing.A web page designed specifically to work on a mobile phone uses approximately 20-25kB, meaning you could view up to 2,500 pages. Standard web pages - those designed for computers - use about 100kB. In this case 50MB would still mean you could view up to 500 pages in any one day.

They openly admit that you can only browse 2-3 pages designed for mobiles before being whacked with the 99c fee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's not that bad an offer. It's not geared towards people who want to use their phone as a modem. As a mobile offer, it's great. I have the 3G iPhone with O2 and I have only used about 300megs so far this month, and I really used it. 50megs is plenty for mobile, and chances are this will appeal to people for Bebo, Facebook etc. It's a positive step in the right direction.

chrislad wrote: »
    It's not that bad an offer. It's not geared towards people who want to use their phone as a modem. As a mobile offer, it's great. I have the 3G iPhone with O2 and I have only used about 300megs so far this month, and I really used it. 50megs is plenty for mobile, and chances are this will appeal to people for Bebo, Facebook etc. It's a positive step in the right direction.
    Do you think €29.70 per month is a reasonable price for that privilege?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Chrislad. A positive ster in the right direction would be at least match the current best offer on the market thats lets every customer browse without eating into all their credit. Oh well I suppose they have to make money somewhere and its definately not off their pre pay €20pm teenage customers who make up the majority.

cormie wrote: »
    What price is it now for 1kb though as anything up to 49kb is still at 2c per kb, then the next 49mb are basically free. This is PAYG (I think??) so if you go from 50-60MB, and only have €5 on your sim card, you'll only make it a bit past 50MB anyway before running out of credit. Doubt many people would have €205 credit :)
    The problem lies with the fact that: They have increased the cost of raw data from 0.5c/KB to 2c/KB. This is a 400% increase.

What irritates me is that they have made it exceptionally easy to get 99c out of you for very little use at all.

I would have no problem with this price plan, in fact I would welcome it, if they left it at the old price per kb for data before and after the 99c block.

This would still be in uncompeditive in comparison to three's offer, but at least it would building on what they had previously, not a step backwards, like this offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So this offer is really only good for people who may use it one or two days a month to connect with their laptop while out and about. For that purpose it's great, for everything else, it's a rip off. Luckily I'm one of the people it's good for :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Sure it sucks to pay €20/MB above 50MB, but at least they gave *#105# to check your daily usage.

Considering I was thinking of going for O2's iPhone plan or at least meteor's bill pay with €30/month unlimited data, it's better than before.
    I'm finally able to use Google Maps and email on the 1st gen iPhone. I don't need to use it every day, I have email at work and home. It is going to be good for when I need to go online.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    The problem lies with the fact that: They have increased the cost of raw data from 0.5c/KB to 2c/KB. This is a 400% increase.

What irritates me is that they have made it exceptionally easy to get 99c out of you for very little use at all.

I would have no problem with this price plan, in fact I would welcome it, if they left it at the old price per kb for data before and after the 99c block.

This would still be in uncompeditive in comparison to three's offer, but at least it would building on what they had previously, not a step backwards, like this offer.

WAP data was always 2c per kb. As far as I know, ISP/Data APN access is still charged at the same rates.

WAP data was always 2c per kb. As far as I know, ISP/Data APN access is still charged at the same rates.
    The wap apn is about as useful as a solar powered torch. When I talk about data rates I mean isp access. :)

afaik all access points have gone to 2c per kb

afaik all access points have gone to 2c per kb

Hmmm, I'll check into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

The biggest problem is that in order for you to get the best value out of this deal is to use the 50MB once you hit your 99c cap, but as we all know, it's fairly difficult to do if you're just browsing on your mobile. I use my phone mostly for e-mail and a bit of surfing on the bus. I quite easily do 50kb a day, but very very rarely would I use 50MB a day, thus meaning I get very little value out of this package :(

I'm sure this is very simily for most people, easily use 50kb and spend a euro, but not so easily use 50MB and make the euro worthwhile. I'll be considering 3 or Bill Pay after this.

Hmmm, I'll check into that.

i really hope i'm wrong tbw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

The biggest problem is that in order for you to get the best value out of this deal is to use the 50MB once you hit your 99c cap, but as we all know, it's fairly difficult to do if you're just browsing on your mobile. I use my phone mostly for e-mail and a bit of surfing on the bus. I quite easily do 50kb a day, but very very rarely would I use 50MB a day, thus meaning I get very little value out of this package :(

I'm sure this is very simily for most people, easily use 50kb and spend a euro, but not so easily use 50MB and make the euro worthwhile. I'll be considering 3 or Bill Pay after this.

true...even if you browse and post a lot, you'll hardly reach 50 mb. You'd have to start watching clips, and for that 50mb is way too little! It's neither here nor there... As most things are ;)

and that'll of course be the same for 99% of people. the way i see it, the only people who are going to benefit from this tariff are meteor.

although i don't know about leaving them over it. their internet costs were much worse* last week and they were good enough for you. unless you were specifically waiting for the data plan?

*except for the data apn price increasing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i really hope i'm wrong tbw
    So do I.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement